Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cox - 100 million miles from Senior Selection

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 am
Post subject: Cox - 100 million miles from Senior SelectionReply with quote

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-08/2015-magpies-a-step-up

Look at his efforts to catch a ball and then kick it in the clip attached to this article. If you think that it would be hard to carry this kind of skill level at low level club grade footy, imagine it at the elite level, where fundamentally sound footballers (who have elite disposal at all level but AFL), are considered poor dsposers of the ball.

Not to mention the fact that he doesnt have any endurance (as his 2 km time trial will attest).

Needless to say, Witts and Grundy are likely not too worried about their places in our side as a result of the Big Cox....... My theory is that collingwood has agreed to do its part on behalf of the AFL to make it seem like americans are making inroads (when really they arent). I wonder if in 20 years, when an american makes it into the AFL, we are allowed to get him as a priority and a thank you for the show we are putting on now.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget his disposal, he would actually have to get the ball first. He is a project player that costs us nothing in the scheme of things. It will be interesting to see if the club can turn him into a footballer.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 am

because most teams go in with one ruckman, then it behooves Collingwood to take insurance in case something goes wrong. but because of salary cap and list restrictions, we cannot have a Wood or a Cegler sitting around doing nowt.

in 1981, 2003 and 2011 we lost our ruckman on the eve of the grand final, and we had no one to replace him with. So with this in mind, we have the amazing Jessie White, who can play elsewhere as well, and this American bloke, who can pinch hit if desperate. Probably neither would be needed, but who knows?
The Weed 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 am
Post subject: Re: Cox - 100 million miles from Senior SelectionReply with quote

E wrote:

Look at his efforts to catch a ball and then kick it in the clip attached to this article. If you think that it would be hard to carry this kind of skill level at low level club grade footy, imagine it at the elite level, where fundamentally sound footballers (who have elite disposal at all level but AFL), are considered poor dsposers of the ball.

Not to mention the fact that he doesnt have any endurance (as his 2 km time trial will attest).

Needless to say, Witts and Grundy are likely not too worried about their places in our side as a result of the Big Cox....... My theory is that collingwood has agreed to do its part on behalf of the AFL to make it seem like americans are making inroads (when really they arent). I wonder if in 20 years, when an american makes it into the AFL, we are allowed to get him as a priority and a thank you for try the show we are putting on now.

Seems fair to judge him on that 5 seconds of footage and not the footage that was up a few weeks ago. Anyone can make a mistake in an isolated incident, Pendles has dropped the ball and missed kicked before. Someone could easily have said how skilled he was because after he fumbled it he caught it behind his back. Also to say he has no endurance and won't be troubling Grundy is pretty funny considering Grundy was 5 metres ahead of him in the footage shown, but still I guess you're the expert. As for your "theory", well it seems like that would make a lot of sense, pay someone $300k now even though we are sure he won't make it and then get this mysterious American who will come ready made in 20 years .....still one of your better posts.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am

The Weed wrote:
E wrote:

Needless to say, Witts and Grundy are likely not too worried about their places in our side as a result of the Big Cox....... My theory is that collingwood has agreed to do its part on behalf of the AFL to make it seem like americans are making inroads (when really they arent). I wonder if in 20 years, when an american makes it into the AFL, we are allowed to get him as a priority and a thank you for try the show we are putting on now.

Seems fair to judge him on that 5 seconds of footage and not the footage that was up a few weeks ago. Anyone can make a mistake in an isolated incident, Pendles has dropped the ball and missed kicked before. Someone could easily have said how skilled he was because after he fumbled it he caught it behind his back. Also to say he has no endurance and won't be troubling Grundy is pretty funny considering Grundy was 5 metres ahead of him in the footage shown, but still I guess you're the expert. As for your "theory", well it seems like that would make a lot of sense, pay someone $300k now even though we are sure he won't make it and then get this mysterious American who will come ready made in 20 years .....still one of your better posts.

When you put it like that, it seems i'm smoking you right now. But for you to interpret my post in the way you did suggests you are taking me!

To slow it down for you - its fairly evident the AFL is not ready to give up on the american dream (both for marketing purposes and for the growth of participation in the US). What better way to market the game than for the leagues largest and most written about club to always have an american on its list (in "development").

We joke about Carmichael Hunt and the other bozo's from rugby league that the expansion teams used.

We are doing the same thing on behaf of the league and we can do it because our coffers are the largest, our reach is the widest and eddie is somewhat of a long term thinker.

I just dont want anyone to think that this Cox has any greater shot at playing AFL than Big shae did.

Dont get me wrong. I bet they are both tremendouss athletes and very corageous for agreeing to do this, but its nothing more than for show at this stage (and it only took 5 seconds of footage to reaffirem a view i hold as a certainty having captained a US footy team in the US National championships).

So i agree with at least something in your incoherent ramblings my friend...... I am the expert!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 am

Kids got 2 years on our list external to the standard rookie list so how about we give him at least a preseason and some VFL exposure before we start making too many predictions. I'm sure Mike Pyke had no less issue adapting to AFL and he seems to go okay now.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06 am

Culprit wrote:
Forget his disposal, he would actually have to get the ball first. He is a project player that costs us nothing in the scheme of things. It will be interesting to see if the club can turn him into a footballer.

Exactly.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 am

E wrote:
Look at his efforts to catch a ball and then kick it

Not possible - all I can see is one effort and I'm not going to judge from that - after all, I could construct a clip show of Clinton Young that would have him 1000 million miles away...
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Let's sack him.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:09 pm

What a revelation. A bloke that has never played footy is a mile away from playing an actual game. Surely not?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:28 pm

That kick was just in Warm-Ups.

Yes he is got fair way to go but I read some Promising things in the Media and from some Training Reports

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Let's re-visit this thread in 12 months time shall we?
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Yay, let's judge the guy on 5 seconds of footage!

Shit thread.
LALU Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Said it from the beginning.

A waste of time!!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:15 pm

It's quite premature to say he's a total write-off but yes I agree he's a long way off from earning senior selection.

If he can somehow break into the side at some point in the future then that would be remarkable but surely most of us knew he would be a work in progress and this could be similar to the Shae McNamara recruitment from a few years back.

Let's see how he performs in the reserves next year and we'll see where we go from there. We sacrificed very little if anything to obtain him in the first place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: