Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report: Monday Dec 8

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm
Post subject: Training Report: Monday Dec 8Reply with quote

Training Report: Monday Dec 8, 2014

Players were out on the field early today. When I arrived at 9:25 they were being fitted with tracking devices. Seemed to be almost the entire list in attendance; we missed only one player and that was Ben Reid.

Players began by doing some supervised stretching and then some 50 metre runs. Macaffer was the only player not to do the warm ups. He walked a few laps with the psychologist and then went inside.

Matthew Sharenberg did the stretches and the run throughs with the rest of the boys and then went to his personal trainer where they consulted a prepared sheet. He did a time trial and then ran laps for the next hour. It was particularly pleasing to see him on the track and working so very hard.

Cloke and Swan also joined in this part of the training, before moving off to do individual training. Swan trained very hard. He ran laps, did 50 metre and 100 metre sprints and ran a slalom course through witches hats all the while keeping a close eye on his watch - for personal times that is!

New boys Jordan DaGoey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard and Matt Goodyear were in attendance and joined in all of the drills. Rookie pick, Michael Monteit was also training and the boy ran his heart out. It reminded me of the new boy in class, out to impress. Hes bigger framed than Goodyear who looks like a twig. He needs a few summers in the gym! Couldnt spot Brenden Abbott.

Players then did some 50 metre sprints. Jono Marsh wore a top-knot today, but has shaved off his scraggy beard. Ben Sinclair has grown one.

Players then moved to the club house side and gathered listening to Bill Davoren. Then they were off in a time trial.

Sidebottom quickly took the lead (see pics) and was closely followed by Freeman and Armstrong. Thats how it stayed for the 4 laps, with the only change being the lead by Sidey, who won in a canter. Sharenberg took part! Hallelujah! Jono Marsh, Broomhead, Swan, Seedsman, Greenwood, Cloke, Goldy, Brown, Williams and Swan did not do this time trial.

Sharenberg finished last as youd expect, only just behind Karnezis who fell away in the final lap. Brodie Grundy was third last.

The top 20 was something like this:
Sidey, Freeman, Armstrong, Varcoe, Manteit, Crisp, Adams, Young, Keeffe, Seedsman, Pendles, Fasolo, Ramsay, Tooves, Da Goey, Blair, Goodyear, Elliott, Sinclair, Maynard.

Players then did a warm down, changed into boots and then did some more exercises. The remainder of the session went in similar fashion to last week.

-Players do kick to kick with a partner.
-Buckley yells to all players, Put up your hand where you want it delivered. Kicking for accuracy.
-Players now in groups of 5, 3 black shirts v2 pink shirts who try to apply pressure. Kicking for accuracy whilst under pressure.
-Goodyear might be a Twiggy Dunne in physique right now but one thing I noticed was his poise in traffic and his use of the ball. Didnt see one miskick. If hes the worst kick of the draftees then hes miles ahead of Dwyer, Adams, Sinkers and Thomas.
-Players then in groups of five around ground in simulated match conditions running and kicking.
-The 3Ms - Maynard, Manteit and Moore look very polished with ball in hand.
-A few players then left the main group to do specialized training Seedsman, Moore, Marsh, Oxley
-Seedsman then had some physio work done on his left thigh.
-Main group broke up into two groups, Black v Pink in simulated match conditions. Emphasis on clearances.
-Maynard will be mistaken for Pendlebury I reckon; look similar on the field.
-Armstrong prominent in these drills.
-Grundy tackled after hospital kick by Armstrong. The Goodyear tackle is rewarded with a free kick.
-Adams turns it over to Mason Cox, who gives to DeGoey, Varcoe, Ramsay. Keeffe smothers Ramsay but loses the ball and smashes his fist into the ground and swears in frustration.
-Corey Gault awarded bonus shot on goal from 50 and slots it to the delight and cheers of his Pink team mates.
-Sharenberg now running laps with Broomhead and keeps up with him; Im impressed.
-Swanny, Cloke and Marsh run 100m run throughs.
-Neil Balme appears on the sidelines at 10:40.
-Now players in three teams. One watches whilst two teams play (Pink V Yellow).
- Armstrong in back pocket gets the ball, hesitates, called to move it by umpire, handballs to Williams. Williams waits, hesitates, plays into trouble (this reminds me of the Coll V Ess game with our backs turning it over every time!)
-Williams to stationary Armstrong who is tackled strongly by De Goey who earns a free from Umpire Robert Harvey. De Goey to shoot for goal. He wobbles it for a behind.
-Williams to Adams and Adams turns it over to Cox. Some things never change.
-Cox kicks to White who marks strongly, hand passes to Elliott who goals.
-Lots of cameramen and three TV crews here. Must be a presser to follow training.

Impressions:
All of the summer trades and draftees did well in the time trial, which is terrific.
First day for Manteit was impressive. The boy worked very hard.
De Goey looked stuffed after training; this boy has a work ethic. Goodyear and Maynard trained impressively too. Moore must have left the field early as I didnt see him in the match practice sessions.
Marsh is on a controlled programme with the likes of Brown, Broomhead, Swanny, Greenwood, Cloke, Seedsman and Williams.

Karnezis worries me. I know he was injured for a lot of last year, but I get the impression hes a bit fragile. To finish virtually last in the time trial is disappointing for somebody I had hoped could take a run through the midfield. That looks a long time away to be honest. In fact, Karnezis beat just one player over the line and that was Sharenberg.

The team trains again on Wednesday and then there is the Open Family Session on Friday morning.

Nearly forgot to mention Freeman; this boy has spent a year in the gym I think. Very big and strong in the arms and shoulders.

Pics link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98725876@N02/with/15973713955

Last edited by Neil Appleby on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neil, thanks again for such a detailed report.

You didn't mention Ben Reid after the initial paragraph. Did he train or was he not there at all?

On Karnezis, I'm surprised about the comment on him possibly being a mid. My impression is that he's a very laconic type of character but very smart with the footy. Knows what's going on around him and really knows how to find the goals. I didn't think he was being looked at as a mid at all. Just curious where that thought came from.

Again though... great write up. A bit worried that even in simulated match practice our backs are performing the same as last year (turnovers, poor options etc). Fingers crossed that gets fixed in the next 10-12 weeks eh!

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Outstanding thankyou

Is jamie's tt placing any concern?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:00 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:

You didn't mention Ben Reid after the initial paragraph. Did he train or was he not there at all?

On Karnezis, I'm surprised about the comment on him possibly being a mid. My impression is that he's a very laconic type of character but very smart with the footy. Knows what's going on around him and really knows how to find the goals. I didn't think he was being looked at as a mid at all. Just curious where that thought came from.

Again though... great write up. A bit worried that even in simulated match practice our backs are performing the same as last year (turnovers, poor options etc). Fingers crossed that gets fixed in the next 10-12 weeks eh!

Ben wasn't there at all today.
Regarding Karnezis, this was just wishful thinking on my part to see a Pendlebury sized player like him on a wing or getting a run through the midfield. I don't think the club sees him there. After recruiting the big bodies this draft though and if we add in Shazza, then we won't need Karnezis there anyway.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Outstanding thankyou

Is jamie's tt placing any concern?

I don't think so. He did the time trial and then did some group work before an individual programme later. He'll be as good as gold after Christmas.

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Onya neil,
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:03 pm

You're approaching legend status with these awesome training reports Neil. Wicked reading, keep em coming man.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm a bit surprised by Pendles placing in the time trial, iirc he normally does better, do we put it down to the shoulder surgery?

You like this.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen.

Thanks again, lovely to to read.

I understood Abbott was due to arrive in Melbourne today from WA. Then again like his namesake there could have been a last minute backflip Wink

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Az 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:13 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:

Could have sworn there was talk from the coaches of Karnezis being a possible medium to long term midfield prospect. He was played there a few times in the VFL and showed a lot of promise. I know he was killing it in the middle when playing for the Lions reserves. If he's able to pull it off, it makes us a lot stronger having a goal kicking midfielder now we've lost Beamsy and Swanny is winding down.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Training Report: Monday Dec 8Reply with quote

Just realised I didn't spot Langdon. A lot of the boys were wearing white caps so may have missed him, but I don't think he was out there.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Brilliant report, ta.

Caringbah, I was trying to work out what Jamie's TaTtoos placings meant! (Time trial, duh!)

And defender, I believe PENDLES was just running, not walking on his hands!

Cheers, can't wait til footy starts again!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Cheers for the report mate, great stuff as usual.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed report Neil. A great read.

And yeah Karnezis also blitzed it in the middle during the Lions' nab cup win a few years ago. Was hoping he could reproduce some of that for us.

There's been a bit of flu going around at the moment (had it myself last week). Hopefully that's all that was holding him back
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Geek wrote:
Thanks for the detailed report Neil. A great read.

And yeah Karnezis also blitzed it in the middle during the Lions' nab cup win a few years ago. Was hoping he could reproduce some of that for us.

There's been a bit of flu going around at the moment (had it myself last week). Hopefully that's all that was holding him back

I'd be super surprised if was through lack of effort/poor off season, I still remember the pic of Bucks and Cox after the time trial prior to cox's sacking with Bucks looking at him like a dead man walking.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: