Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Predict the Round 1 team - (January edition)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkstranger wrote:
Just FYI for those cluesless, Reid is a BACKMAN!

Your error in spelling clueless is a clue I would suggest to your own cluelessness Smile

Reid has not played back for a while now - we have Frost and Keefe developing as key backs who cannot play fwd… same for Brown. Up forward it is clear White and Cloke need help and Reid has played a lot of footy as a forward and showed some great signs before injury wiped him out!

Reid is the best CHB at our club - but CHB is a lot easier to play and fill compared to a key forward role.

If Witts/Grundy, Gault, Moore, Karnezis can provide the marking/goalkicking support Cloke and White need up forward we might have the opportunity to see Reid go back - I just don't think it will happen though for 2015.

If Reid can play both ends he could be a key swing player that could change the whole complexion of a game - a real game-changer for 2016 and beyond!

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Geez, people are quick to slot in the new kids over guys who've had some time on the list. Varcoe and Greenwood are understandable as they bring solid senior experience but De Goey, Maynard, Goodyear, Moore and our 2 new rookies are a stretch.

And that's with the caviat that I did say to Lazza that all 4 ND selections COULD potentially play round 1 in 2015. Even Freeman, Crisp, Marsh, and Karnezis would all be ahead of them at this stage of preseason.

Not sure I should be loving the optimism you seem to have with the quality of our draftees or concerned about how lowly you rate players already on our list.

sinclair and blair are locks for the first round team. i would be very surprised if they weren't named. also, with a full list to choose from we don't need to be in a position to name a first year draftee.

But given where the team finished this season in eleventh spot, we need to make major changes to the side to fight our way back up the ladder and that means that players like Blair, Sinclair, Tooves and Goldsack will have to fight for their spots and that's the way it should be.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:34 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Geez, people are quick to slot in the new kids over guys who've had some time on the list. Varcoe and Greenwood are understandable as they bring solid senior experience but De Goey, Maynard, Goodyear, Moore and our 2 new rookies are a stretch.

And that's with the caviat that I did say to Lazza that all 4 ND selections COULD potentially play round 1 in 2015. Even Freeman, Crisp, Marsh, and Karnezis would all be ahead of them at this stage of preseason.

Not sure I should be loving the optimism you seem to have with the quality of our draftees or concerned about how lowly you rate players already on our list.

sinclair and blair are locks for the first round team. i would be very surprised if they weren't named. also, with a full list to choose from we don't need to be in a position to name a first year draftee.

But given where the team finished this season in eleventh spot, we need to make major changes to the side to fight our way back up the ladder and that means that players like Blair, Sinclair, Tooves and Goldsack will have to fight for their spots and that's the way it should be.

Team structure had a lot to do with our poor finish last season. Play Cloke and Reid in the same forward line and we look threatening again. Also if our rucks progress and provide a more consistent output then our midfield should hold its own too, despite the loss of Beams. Adams/Greenwood should fill his role.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Every player should have to fight for their spot but that doesn't mean you just make wholesale changes just for the sake of it. If players like Blair, Sinclair, Tooves, and Goldsack aren't worthy of a senior game early in the season ahead of a few raw recruits then why even retain them. Coaching staff obviously have more faith than some supporters.

Team performed poorly in the second half of 2014 season when cruelled by injury but equally performed very well in the first half of the season. I'm more confident that we're actually closer to the round 1-11 team than we are to the 12-23 team. I'm with JW, while many of the draftees could play early in the season, they've got shitloads of work to do to demand a spot ahead of more established players, many of whom haven't played any/much senior footy for the Pies yet either. Think Karnezis, Greenwood, Varcoe, Crisp, Freeman, and Oxley for starters, let alone Kennedy, Broomhead, and Ramsay.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 am

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:

I could see De Goey getting a goey, Laughing , Freeman and Karnesis as well. There are a couple other hopefuls but a seasoned body will probably get the nod in the early stages of the season. Might have to travel down and see a training session in February and form some sort of educated opinion about our players.

BTW just read that Abbott has only played footy for two seasons, very talented fella.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 am

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Every player should have to fight for their spot but that doesn't mean you just make wholesale changes just for the sake of it. If players like Blair, Sinclair, Tooves, and Goldsack aren't worthy of a senior game early in the season ahead of a few raw recruits then why even retain them. Coaching staff obviously have more faith than some supporters.

Team performed poorly in the second half of 2014 season when cruelled by injury but equally performed very well in the first half of the season. I'm more confident that we're actually closer to the round 1-11 team than we are to the 12-23 team. I'm with JW, while many of the draftees could play early in the season, they've got shitloads of work to do to demand a spot ahead of more established players, many of whom haven't played any/much senior footy for the Pies yet either. Think Karnezis, Greenwood, Varcoe, Crisp, Freeman, and Oxley for starters, let alone Kennedy, Broomhead, and Ramsay.

freeman might be the only debutant in round 1. greenwood and varcoe should come in. after that, it's anyone's guess.

langdon, frost, sinclair
williams, brown, toovey
seedsman, greenwood, sidebottom
goldsack, reid, white
elliott, cloke, blair
witts, pendlebury, swan
adams, varcoe, young, keeffe

no doubt, the thinking will change many times between now and round 1.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:58 am

John Wren wrote:
freeman might be the only debutant in round 1. greenwood and varcoe should come in. after that, it's anyone's guess.

langdon, frost, sinclair
williams, brown, toovey
seedsman, greenwood, sidebottom
goldsack, reid, white
elliott, cloke, blair
witts, pendlebury, swan
adams, varcoe, young, keeffe

no doubt, the thinking will change many times between now and round 1.

Varcoe and Greenwood are the obvious ones to make Collingwood debuts in round 1 but I wouldn't rule out Karnezis and Crisp. Both had a couple of seasons at senior level and should be burning up preseason. Freeman may be given some VFL gametime to ease him into it. Do agree though, more regular senior players have the spots to lose and will likely be given first crack round 1.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm pleased to see that no one is screaming out for Moore to be included in the team. Let him ease his way into the system. Get his body right and learn the trade in the Magoos.

Looking at the teams, it has raised more than a few questions for me.

Who will be the bigger whipping boy this year? Young v Blair
Can Seedsman and Sinclair cement spots?
Will Karnesis add fire power to the forward line?
If Karnesis comes in, where does that leave Goldsack - FWD or BACK, in the 2's?
Will Reid play 20+ games?
Can Cloke kick straight?
Can Frost and Langdon back up?
Is there improvement left in Keefe or will he stagnate?
Will a fit Toovey provide that total shut down role again?
If Elliot pushes into the midfield, will De Goey slot into the forward line?
Will Swan rediscover the midfield or are those days a thing of the past?
Will Adams find himself as our chief extractor? or can Thomas push him out?
Will Brown's shoulders hold out and can he get back to 2010/11 form?
Has Kennedy improved his tank yet? or is he condemned to be a small forward?
Is Blair still Buck's favourite?
Will Broomhead crack a smile and actually look like he enjoys playing the game?
Can Varcoe provide his silking finishing? Where does that leave Fasolo?
Does Greenwood continue with his break out form? or does he do a Jesse White and go back previous year's form.
Can White actually take a mark?
Will Freeman make it onto the park?
Will Caff make it back for Round 1?
What odds are paying for Pendlebury to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith and ANZAC Medals?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:35 pm

roar wrote:
The team I would like to see:

B: Williams, Frost, Keeffe,
HB: Langdon, Brown, Maynard
C: Sidey, Greenwood, Varcoe
HF: Broom, Reid, Elliott
FF: Kennedy, Cloke, Karnezis
R: Grundy, Pendles, Swan
Int: Witts, Adams, Freeman, De Goey,

Emergencies from: Fasolo, Seeds, Goldsack, Thomas, Toovey, Sinclair, Marsh, Moore, Crisp.

Oh dear, you forgot Blair.

Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
roar wrote:
The team I would like to see:

B: Williams, Frost, Keeffe,
HB: Langdon, Brown, Maynard
C: Sidey, Greenwood, Varcoe
HF: Broom, Reid, Elliott
FF: Kennedy, Cloke, Karnezis
R: Grundy, Pendles, Swan
Int: Witts, Adams, Freeman, De Goey,

Emergencies from: Fasolo, Seeds, Goldsack, Thomas, Toovey, Sinclair, Marsh, Moore, Crisp.

Oh dear, you forgot Blair.
And Young
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:45 pm

@35Forever
Funny buggers? Utterly absurd is closer to the mark.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Seriously, in round 1 we can probably only expect 3-4 new faces in our team. Unless they blitz it in the pre-season games, most of the new recruits will need to build up their aerobic fitness, and in some cases their size, and prove themselves at VFL level before pushing for senior selection. My prediction of new faces are:

Greenwood
Varcoe
Karnezis
Freeman

Plus possibly Marsh or Crisp.

By season's end that list should stretch to include:

Sharenberg
De Goey
Maynard
Goodyear
Abbott.

If that eventuates, then it would amount to 11 new players, which would be extraordinary.
Lutts 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Fasolo Brown Toovey
Langdon Reid Young
Varcoe Adams Sidebottom
Swan Cloke Kennedy
Elliott White Blair

Witts Pendlebury Greenwood

Grundy Sinclair Thomas
Seedsman

emg. Frost Freeman Broomhead

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Stinger wrote:
I'm pleased to see that no one is screaming out for Moore to be included in the team. Let him ease his way into the system. Get his body right and learn the trade in the Magoos.

Looking at the teams, it has raised more than a few questions for me.

Can Cloke kick straight?
Does Greenwood continue with his break out form? or does he do a Jesse White and go back previous year's form.
What odds are paying for Pendlebury to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith and ANZAC Medals?

And my answers:

Equal first

One will but not both

Yes

2's

No

Can Cloke kick straight?
No

Yes

Improve

No

No

Rediscover

Adams

No and No

SF

At the moment, Yes

No

Occasionally.

This year's JW

No

Yes

No

What price do you want?

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Not many are prepared to play Reid down back are they? About 6 weeks ago I posted my R1 team for 2015. I had Reid at CHB because I wanted an experienced backline with players who were fast and accurate by foot.

The only problem with playing Reid down back is that we don't have a full forward and that's a pretty big problem. After the first match simulation at training last week, I've been thinking about Corey Gault and where he fits in our future plans. He got a game late in the year and kicked a couple and he kicked a couple last week and was a prominent target.

Yep, I know it's early days, but could he hold down the full forward spot I'm wondering? If he does the improving we are all hoping for, it could really help us along. With that question in mind, here is my Round 1 Team (mark 2):

B: Frost Brown Toovey

HB: Langdon Reid Seedsman

C: Sidebottom Pendlebury Varcoe

HF: Freeman Cloke Broomhead

F: Elliott Gault Karnezis

Foll: Witts Swan Greenwood

IC: Grundy Fasolo Adams Williams

EM: Blair, White, Keeffe, Thomas

Depth: Young Kennedy Sinclair Oxley Crisp Marsh Dwyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: