Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Put Jessie White on the wing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

3.14159 wrote:
White hasn't got the tank to play as a mid.

I'm certainly not suggesting he should become a permanent mid, just that he should get more rotations as something other than a ruckman. And preseason training is the perfect time to be building the tank.

Reality is that if he can't cement the "Leroy" 3rd forward/ruck role he needs to add some flexibility to his game or he's going to get left behind. Grundy and Witts are going to be tough to displace, Reid is a better option as a 2nd KPF, and we've got players like Karnezis, Moore, Gault and Marsh who could usurp his 3rd tall role.

Evolve or get left behind.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:42 pm

On the wing ?

Who actually plays there, in this modern game ?

So called experts, over the years and on the possibility of cutting team numbers to 16, always targeted the wings, first.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 pm

3.14159 wrote:
White hasn't got the tank to play as a mid.

You're sure about that quote???
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Always thought he looked far better in the ruck... not so much for his ruck work but you could see him come alive when he's around the ball more. Just what I saw.... don't mind the idea. Now that Harry is gone I wonder if that spot opens up .... or does it get taken by Young (yeah I know half on here think he sucks - politely... I disagree)!!

I'd like to see us pursue the idea of having 2 potential rucks at every stoppage; we looked great this year with both Witts and Grundy at the stoppages in a few games, and if we could engineer a situation where White plays on the wing and gets to be the third man up at every stoppage between the 50's, and then play Witts deep forward as resting ruck, heeeeeyyyyyy

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:08 pm

If the 1-2 year brigade progress as we expect and a few of the newbies press early he shouldn't get a game.

I will be happy if he gets a spot thru form and effort but really last year there were weeks when he simply didn't deserve his spot but still got games due to lack of an alternative.

Mason Cox should be eyeing off his spot in the 22 at some stage.

We all called for Taz to go to a wing for years in his first stint as a Pie but Malthouse would never do it.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 pm

3rd forward/2nd ruck might work, you know, the role he was recruited for........
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Its worth a try putting White on a wing,he could run fwd without the heavy attention of a top defender.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Really. worth a try putting White on a winghe could run fwd without the heavy attention of a top defender is?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:31 pm

I don't hold any hope for White to give us anything to be perfectly frank. I know he was recruited as a Quentin Lynch (failure) replacement, but he was a great disappointment last year.

From the first time I saw him, I suspected he'd give us nothing. That was at training last December when he was pitted against Jack Frost. The ball was kicked to White in the square and he dropped a sitter as Frost ran straight at him. All of the old timers at training collectively sighed and realised we'd drafted another dud. That's marking the boy pretty harshly I admit, but when these blokes are on 200K or more, I'm entitled to expect some grunt. Give him a game early if he deserves it, but then give some game-time to other blokes who might want it more like Marsh or Karnezis.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I like the idea of White on a wing, not necessarily as a permanent role but as an option.

He likes the freedom of being up the field, has good pace and good delivery. Put him on the wing when one of the ruckmen are resting forward and let him run around with the other ruckman. Apart from centre bounces. he'd be a 2nd ruck round the ground.

I Like it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 pm

2nd Year he could improve. My view is unless Tarzan plays like Tarzan there is no point playing her.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:08 pm

The benefit of White playing up the ground, as people suggest on the wing, is that the next kick is going forward to Reid or Cloke. Not those guys pushing up the ground to get it. Ideally it would be one up (Reid), one forward (Cloke) and mids steaming through the corridor at full tilt!
themonk 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:01 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
I don't hold any hope for White to give us anything to be perfectly frank. I know he was recruited as a Quentin Lynch (failure) replacement, but he was a great disappointment last year.

From the first time I saw him, I suspected he'd give us nothing. That was at training last December when he was pitted against Jack Frost. The ball was kicked to White in the square and he dropped a sitter as Frost ran straight at him. All of the old timers at training collectively sighed and realised we'd drafted another dud. That's marking the boy pretty harshly I admit, but when these blokes are on 200K or more, I'm entitled to expect some grunt. Give him a game early if he deserves it, but then give some game-time to other blokes who might want it more like Marsh or Karnezis.

Agreed, unless we are depleted by injuries again then I don't expect to see too much of White. Athletic yes, football ability & brain, no.

The Leigh Brown replacement is old news, the focus should be on improving our young rucks ability to kick goals as they both are talented .
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:15 am

I say we put Jesse White in the ring, harden him up a bit. Who knows, might make a decent heavyweight after AFL. Laughing
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:39 am

Wokko wrote:
I say we put Jesse White in the ring, harden him up a bit. Who knows, might make a decent heavyweight after AFL. Laughing
You cannot input Mongrel it has to be natural. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: