Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Preferential Voting or First-Past-The-Post Voting?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What system of voting do you prefer?
Preferential Voting
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
First-Past-The-Post Voting
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Undecided
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
^ Why let that stop you? It never stops any of the rest of us. Wink

Hahahahahaha!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 am

at a polling station on saturday i had a lot of people saying they just wanted to vote labor and no one else. they didn't like having to select other candidates.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 pm

John Wren wrote:
at a polling station on saturday i had a lot of people saying they just wanted to vote labor and no one else. they didn't like having to select other candidates.

Yet we make them number each box even though they don't want to and if they don't, their vote doesn't count
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Make the preferences optional. If you want to mark all the squares do so. If you only want to mark 1 - 3 and there are more candidates then that stops your vote going to the likes of the fish and shooters party.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Culprit wrote:
Make the preferences optional. If you want to mark all the squares do so. If you only want to mark 1 - 3 and there are more candidates then that stops your vote going to the likes of the fish and shooters party.

^ YES! If you like first-past-the-post, number just one square. If you want to number five squares, do that. If you want top put a number in every square, it is your democratic right.

PS: I hate the idea of my vote going to the Shooters and Rednecks too, Culprit, but if it came down to a choice between them and the morons at Rise Up or Family First .... well, it's a matter of lesser of two evils. So I numbered every square and put the S&F somewhere about third or fourth last.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Years ago you could vote on say a 4 card ballot, 1 2 3 3. It stopped the preference. The ALP and the LNP got together and changed the law and at the same time increased the $$ per vote.

I cannot remember the guys name that found that loophole. But I would go for that as well.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 pm

If I remember correctly- it was a while back so don't take this as gospel - the High Court determined that a vote and its preferences were valid so long as the voter's intentions were clear. Only if it couldn't be determined what the voter intended by his next preference did the vote become informal. So, in the example of your 1,2,3,3,3 vote, the first preference was counted, as was the second. If it went to the third or subsequent preferences then the intent became ambiguous and the ballot paper was discarded. Perfectly sensible, perfectly fair.

As you say, this High Court ruling led to the major parties bringing in new legislation to bugger things up again (and advantage themselves, of course).

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Yet we make them number each box even though they don't want to and if they don't, their vote doesn't count

someone did decide to spend the time to draw dick pics in each candidate's box. hmmm, interesting way to phrase that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 pm

John Wren wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:

someone did decide to spend the time to draw dick pics in each candidate's box. hmmm, interesting way to phrase that.

LOL, did their votes count?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Tannin wrote:
Culprit wrote:

^ YES! If you like first-past-the-post, number just one square. If you want to number five squares, do that. If you want top put a number in every square, it is your democratic right.

That works.

Nice work team, that problem is fixed.

Now, lets turn to how technology can be used to record and register the votes rather than a friken pencil and paper.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:44 pm

I have always thought that you must number each candidate in numerical sequence or the vote is invalid (ie. Donkey vote).

Are they pushing the message to number each box so the vote is valid or just for preferences??

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Tannin wrote:
If I remember correctly- it was a while back so don't take this as gospel - the High Court determined that a vote and its preferences were valid so long as the voter's intentions were clear. Only if it couldn't be determined what the voter intended by his next preference did the vote become informal. So, in the example of your 1,2,3,3,3 vote, the first preference was counted, as was the second. If it went to the third or subsequent preferences then the intent became ambiguous and the ballot paper was discarded. Perfectly sensible, perfectly fair.

As you say, this High Court ruling led to the major parties bringing in new legislation to bugger things up again (and advantage themselves, of course).
When the State of Victoria under Cain Senior voted for the $ increase per vote I can say my Father was one of 4 in the Government that voted against the increase.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 pm

What if you create numbers out of pictures of penises?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Tannin wrote:
PS: I hate the idea of my vote going to the Shooters and Rednecks too, Culprit, but if it came down to a choice between them and the morons at Rise Up or Family First .... well, it's a matter of lesser of two evils. So I numbered every square and put the S&F somewhere about third or fourth last.

Yes that was tough but I put the Shooters last and Rise Up second last - we should have an option to give some parties nada, zilch, zero, nothing!!!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Now, lets turn to how technology can be used to record and register the votes rather than a friken pencil and paper.

Pencil and paper is technology. Shocked But one imagines that you had something a little more complicated in mind. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: