Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this the youngest Magpie team ever ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:46 pm
Post subject: Is this the youngest Magpie team ever ??Reply with quote

I have followed the Woods over half a century, and this has to just about the youngest Pies team I can recall ever, I cannot recall us having more youngsters than this, and a dearth of experienced players.!

Can you recall a Younger Pies side, if so, when, and is it the youngest team to ever represent the Collingwood F C. ? Confused Shocked

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient history...but I know when Bobby Rose took over as coach way back in '64, he played kids. The average age of the side fell to around 22 years of age back then. That's a seriously young average for 20 players.
If we approach anything like that it will amazing.
Amazing as well as inspiring!
I always love cheering on a young side, it's testament to our talent if we can cobble together a successful 2015 with a team that's so young.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:43 pm

2010 was pretty young IIRC, but I wouldn't think as young as 2015. Odd really, because you'd expect a young team over 5 years to get older, but the Pies keep getting younger Laughing
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Wokko wrote:
2010 was pretty young IIRC, but I wouldn't think as young as 2015. Odd really, because you'd expect a young team over 5 years to get older, but the Pies keep getting younger Laughing

Average age of the mighty 2010 Premiership team was 24y 57d. No wonder we thought a dynasty was nigh.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm

six points, you brought back memories... Mick Bone, Davey Norman, Tuddy, Gabbo, Ron Reeves, Dalton, Ian Graham, Terry Waters.... no one gave them much hope, supposedly they were short on talent.
That short-on-talent team was 4 points away from a premiership.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Harrysz wrote:
six points, you brought back memories... Mick Bone, Davey Norman, Tuddy, Gabbo, Ron Reeves, Dalton, Ian Graham, Terry Waters.... no one gave them much hope, supposedly they were short on talent.
That short-on-talent team was 4 points away from a premiership.

Brian Hansen's Centenary history lists three players as starting their careers with the Pies in 1964. Peter Boyne, Jerker Jenkin and Bob Farmer.

Boyne was full back in the 66 Grand Final. He was a fairly good defender but I wouldn't rank him in the same class as Presti, Peter McCormack or Ned Kelly.

Graeme "Jerker" Jenkin was the best of the three and it is unfair that he is mostly remembered as a step-ladder for Jesaulenko in the 1970 Grand Final.

Bob Farmer was still at school when selected in 1964. He was at Heidelberg High. So was I, Farmer and I had been at both Primary and Secondary school together, quite often in the same class, although I wouldn't say that we were ever really friends. Ironically, while I barracked for Collingwood, Bobby Farmer was a mad Fitzroy supporter. He was a very good mark but a dodgy kick and as a forward he was never going to be chosen ahead of Peter McKenna and Ian Graham. He played his first game before his 17th birthday and was gone from the club at 22.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 am

It could be very very young…

With a few oldies next year around 28 such as Pendles and Cloke the vast majority of potential regulars are much younger…

Other oldies such as Tooves and Goldy (wlso around 28 next year) are no certainties… but give the youth will probably retain a spot to keep a few older heads about!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Wokko wrote:

2010 GF team was young but overall think the squad was older. Think Presti, Tarks, Medhurst, O'Bree etc who didn't get a run GF day.

I can't recall a time when we've had a younger squad. Wouldn't surprise if we actually were close to the youngest in the league in 2015. Rookie draftees might influence that if we go for a Yarran and/or Eddy type.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:10 pm

jackcass wrote:
Wokko wrote:

2010 GF team was young but overall think the squad was older. Think Presti, Tarks, Medhurst, O'Bree etc who didn't get a run GF day.

I can't recall a time when we've had a younger squad. Wouldn't surprise if we actually were close to the youngest in the league in 2015. Rookie draftees might influence that if we go for a Yarran and/or Eddy type.

Even our 2010 Premiership team, which was young overall, had several players who really only had a couple more good years left in them - Jolly, Ball, Dids, Leigh Brown, Johnno and Maxwell. Their rapid decline and/or retirement robbed us of an opportunity to win another flag. Fortunately, Bucks recognised this and has set about quickly building a new team, which has put us on the path to sustained success. I can't wait til we see Sharenberg, Freeman, Karnezis, De Goey, Maynard, Goodyear, Crisp, Marsh, Greenwood and Darcy Moore all playing in our senior team. Boy oh boy, we're in for great times ahead. Go Pies!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Even our 2010 Premiership team, which was young overall, had several players who really only had a couple more good years left in them - Jolly, Ball, Dids, Leigh Brown, Johnno and Maxwell. Their rapid decline and/or retirement robbed us of an opportunity to win another flag. Fortunately, Bucks recognised this and has set about quickly building a new team, which has put us on the path to sustained success. I can't wait til we see Sharenberg, Freeman, Karnezis, De Goey, Maynard, Goodyear, Crisp, Marsh, Greenwood and Darcy Moore all playing in our senior team. Boy oh boy, we're in for great times ahead. Go Pies!

Very good post, my thoughts exactly, we went downhill post 2011 because our older guys were on borrowed time, and yes, bucks did recognise this, and we are rebuiliding with a whole bunch of exciting kids, talented kids, it was the only logical way to go, despite what some on here persist in decrying, we had to restructure the team with youth. I think its a very exciting time now for us now, I also love watching enthusiastic young talented kids, and we have em in spades. !
Good times ahead ! Idea Exclamation

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Even our 2010 Premiership team, which was young overall, had several players who really only had a couple more good years left in them - Jolly, Ball, Dids, Leigh Brown, Johnno and Maxwell. Their rapid decline and/or retirement robbed us of an opportunity to win another flag. Fortunately, Bucks recognised this and has set about quickly building a new team, which has put us on the path to sustained success!

Very good post, my thoughts exactly, we went downhill post 2011 because our older guys were on borrowed time, and yes, bucks did recognise this, and we are rebuiliding with a whole bunch of exciting kids, talented kids, it was the only logical way to go, despite what some on here persist in decrying, we had to restructure the team with youth. I think its a very exciting time now for us now, I also love watching enthusiastic young talented kids, and we have em in spades. !

No doubt u r entitled to an opinion.

However such dribble can not be allowed to pass thru to the keeper. So im just going to look around at which picket im going to splinter with this trash.

Some of u should really get a room.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Ok this sums it up.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-02/collingwoods-disappearing-act

At a minimum the entire footy department should be under extreme pressure to make finals.

Claims of Buckley's genius vision in restructuring the list screams of blind faith and nothing can be presented to back it up.

This view does nothing for the club nor the credibility of us supporters.

Harden up guys. The gabbatoir is fast approaching.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I mentioned it a couple of times but I do wonder why we don't seem to have guys playing quality footy into their 30's. Teams like Sydney, Hawthorn, and Geelong seem to have more than their fair share. Is it a game style thing? Is it more specific to the type of player we've historically drafted?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:02 pm

jackcass wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I mentioned it a couple of times but I do wonder why we don't seem to have guys playing quality footy into their 30's. Teams like Sydney, Hawthorn, and Geelong seem to have more than their fair share. Is it a game style thing? Is it more specific to the type of player we've historically drafted?

Provided he's over his 2014 injuries, it wouldn't surprise me to see Swanny playing until he's 34 or so. Pendles has another 6 years too.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:31 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Even our 2010 Premiership team, which was young overall, had several players who really only had a couple more good years left in them - Jolly, Ball, Dids, Leigh Brown, Johnno and Maxwell. Their rapid decline and/or retirement robbed us of an opportunity to win another flag. Fortunately, Bucks recognised this and has set about quickly building a new team, which has put us on the path to sustained success!

No doubt u r entitled to an opinion.

However such dribble can not be allowed to pass thru to the keeper. So im just going to look around at which picket im going to splinter with this trash.

Some of u should really get a room.

And some like you should get a life, no doubt your type would still be playing Didak and Jolly, with Ball roving, and Heater downback still throwing balls in opponents faces, and H spitting the dummy if someone makes a un PC joke. Get real, their time had come, by jeez, Im going to enjoy you sackers with egg all over your faces, as these exciting youngsters take us to the Finals, and onto our next flag.! Rolling Eyes Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: