Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott's Economy: Wages Down, Now Investment and Growth Down

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ptid, assuming you've studied economics, you'll realize that microeconomics and macroeconomics are related as (analogously) physics and chemistry are. One is the best model we have to explain the manifestation of the other. Do you imagine that economics professors teach that stuff because they're moonlighting in business studies ? Supply and demand is the very basis of what national Treasurers do, and why they expect their interventions to work, as you surely must know.

And as for the fact that low skills are not prone to moving offshore, let me introduce you to the exiguous Australian textile clothing and footwear industry, or the great data entry centres which still exist in India. If offshoring to you solely means call centres, you can substitute "imported as finished manufactures". The point about technology - the other force I mentioned - is one you can ponder standing by the self-serve machines at Safeway or Shell

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:04 pm

^ I can buy some of that. tannin, by your analysis smacks of the idea that the economy is entirely an artifact of government. In reality the forces of international trade and mobile capital are probably more influential than anything Howard and Costello did. How they might have managed the pace of mining growth while China was roaring is rather obscure, to me. In reality, I suspect China would have bought more from Brasil, entered the same downturn as at present, and Australia would now be selling lower volumes at lower prices without having enjoyed the sunny interim.

The point where I agree strongly is point 2. When the sun shines you should put away savings against the coming storm. Instead, it was used to buy votes.

It's harder for me to judge hockey's policy. Given the dramatic change in the terms of trade, I doubt it'd make much difference either way, though I s spect it'd help a little. This is not a temporary downturn in demand caused by a change in animal spirits, though - It's a major external shock. Keynesian responses are less effective under those conditions. But I agree that Australia's net debt position does not warrant the level of contraction being deployed.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ ptid, if you have actually studied economics, you'll realize that microeconomics and macroeconomics are related as (analogously) physics and chemistry are. One is the best model we have to explain the manifestation of the other. Do you imagine that economics professors teach that stuff because they're moonlighting in business studies ? Supply and demand is the basis of what national Treasurers do.

And as for the fact that low skills are not prone to moving offshore, let me introduce you to the exiguous Australian textile clothing and footwear industry, or the great data entry centres which still exist in India. If offshoring to you solely means call centres, you can substitute "imported as finished manufactures". The point about technology - the other force I mentioned - is one you can ponder standing by the self-serve machines at Safeway or Shell

I have studied it to a certain level myself, and your reference to physics and chemistry is a fitting one, but you get the details wrong: Micro doesn't scale in the same way quantum physics doesn't scale. Hence, your original claim has no empirical support even though you assumed it would. The "efficient market hypothesis" is exactly that; an hypothesis without empirical evidence (or, ahem, public relations nonsense not to be taken too seriously). My view is actually the orthodox one AFAIK.

The vast bulk of technology effects actually hit middle-class jobs through productivity software some time ago rather than through offshoring--and that's not taking into account next-gen automation at all. The other jobs you refer to are mostly not low-end jobs by today's classification; manufacturing jobs and call center work are strong working class jobs, which is why their loss contributed to the middle-wage hole.

Regardless, the (ever-increasing) low-wage service jobs anchored locally more than adequately absorb newcomers, and this is in turn reflected in the fact there is no relationship between population growth and unemployment.

Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm

I know one is between zero and two but I had no idea it was the best model we have to explain the manifestation of the other.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ I can buy some of that. tannin, by your analysis smacks of the idea that the economy is entirely an artifact of government.

That was certainly not my intention. I regard that as a given. Nevertheless, governments can make things worse (as Howard and Costello did and as Abbott and Hockey are doing now) or with decent luck less worse (as Rudd & Swan did with the GFC, as Hawke and Keating did in their day, and as Fraser did with the second oil shock).

Mugwump wrote:
In reality the forces of international trade and mobile capital are probably more influential than anything Howard and Costello did. How they might have managed the pace of mining growth while China was roaring is rather obscure, to me.

It's not rocket science. They should have required mining companies to pay the same tax as all other companies pay - i.e., 30% rather than the 15% they actually get away with. That alone would have winnowed out many of the less sustainable projects. Additionally, they should have looked very hard at our absurdly low royalties on the miners raw materials - few other countries are so determined to give stuff away the way that we are.

Would that have stopped the changes in commodity prices? Of course not, but it would have provided a moderating influence on supply, and Australia is a big enough global player in several commodity markets for that to have a real effect.

Our current revenue shortfalls are not caused by lack of mining receipts. They are caused by three main factors:

• (1) the unsustainable tax cuts brought in by Howard and Costello (and to a much lesser extent, Rudd).

• (2) the massive erosion of the tax base by successive governments, Howard and Costello in particular but also Hawke and Keating before them and now Abbott as well. In aggregate, these have blown our revenue right out of the water. Key policies which have led to this slow-motion trainwreck include negative gearing; huge super concessions which massively favour the rich and cost more than the pensions they were ostensibly designed to save on; the ongoing disgrace of discretional family trusts tax evasion; the 50% discount for unearned income via capital gain; and dividend imputation. (I'm not suggesting that all of these are bad: I can see value in dividend imputation, for example, but the really expensive ones like the triple-dip super lurk are a transparent scam to transfer responsibility for paying tax from the rich to the ordinary battler, and they have done exactly that.)

• (3) Failure to adjust tax rules for the new global marketplace. We lose truly massive amounts of GST because we let companies like Google and Adobe (among many others) artificially structure transactions such that a purely local business item - an ad to sell a used car, let's say - between an Australian buyer and an Australian seller for an Australian product is somehow deemed to have taken place in Singapore or Taxhavenstein. GST directly impacts the state governments, but it's the feds who have to make up the shortfall. (Or else let essential services go to the wall, which is what they mostly do.) We have also utterly failed to deal with the epidemic of transparent cheating by the likes of Google, Apple, Ikea, and most of the others via ever more complicated transfer pricing schemes.

Most of these train-wreck policies have been in place for years, some of them go right back to Keating and most of the damage was done by Howard and Costello with only a tiny, tiny bit of repair since then thanks to Swan and Gillard - much of that immediately reverted by Abbott and Hockey.

So why are we hurting only now? If these things were so bad, wouldn't they have impacted us years ago? There are two reasons. First, some of them take a long time to start doing damage. The super lurks, for example, cost bugger-all in the first year. They only started to hammer revenue as the tax-free funds built up and up. Secondly, the huge once-in-a-century windfall of the commodities boom provided enough short-term income to disguise the problems for a whole decade. We didn't miss the fortune we threw away because we had another fortune coming in - but that second fortune did not and could not last. Now we are in the shit: the one-off inheritance money is already spent, and we are suddenly realising that it was a big mistake to give up our steady job.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:35 pm

^again, Tannin, I can buy most of the argument around the revenue line. I doubt your assumption that fewer mining projects in Australia would not have meant more in Brazil or Africa, given China's voracious demand. They may even have opened up new competitors, but I have no special insight into that.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm

^The other reason this is hitting now is that present reform now is not about inefficiency and protection as it was in H-K's time; Australia's productivity in what it does is fine. The problem is that it doesn't have many high value strings to its bow. It could have them, but since Howard the nation has taken the easy mining money and refused to value add around its education system. The disgraceful disregard for science, tech, alternative energy, the higher education sector, the STEM disciplines, communications infrastructure, and so on, at the precise time a strong focus on these was needed, is exactly why the Glibs were to blame both in government and in their opposition to even modest attempts to push those things forward.

Look no further than the defunding of the CSIRO, the scoffing at the NBN, climate change denial, alternative energy mockery, and the horrific treatment of the science portfolio as evidence for complete recklessness in the face of global economic reality. That is exactly why Abbott and co. are to blame, especially in the face of the expected softening of oversupplied commodities and the declining prices of substitutes such as alternative energy.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:04 pm

^ptid, it certainly is scalable. If it were not, then nothing in macroeconomics would be predictable. It doesn't account for all the outcome variance, and behavioral economics helps with what remains, but we still use supply and demand and equilibrium theory to manage the macroeconomy insofar as we can at all.

Your theory that more unskilled workers will expand the demand for unskilled workers is a most Unorthodox one in any school of economics.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/intergenerational-report-prepared-by-baby-boomers-who-had-the-best-deal-of-any-generation-20150305-13ujt7.html
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ptid, it certainly is scalable. If it were not, then nothing in macroeconomics would be predictable. It doesn't account for all the outcome variance, and behavioral economics helps with what remains, but we still use supply and demand and equilibrium theory to manage the macroeconomy insofar as we can at all.

Your theory that more unskilled workers will expand the demand for unskilled workers is a most Unorthodox one in any school of economics.

On the former, I disagree and many economists IIRC have the same view. A lot of what you think is predictability is adaptation, post-hoc rationalisation and "acceptable" manipulation. If it were a real science you wouldn't accept that degree of error or efforts to force outcomes, and you certainly wouldn't accept regular misvaluations which accord with no known expectation. For goodness' sake, you've just lived through an horrific misvaluation.

No, I didn't say more unskilled workers will expand the need for more unskilled workers, I said under conditions of growth, productivity, and mobility, those unskilled workers will easily be absorbed. That is plainly orthodox and a very different claim from some trivial equilibrium theory. Please, show me an example on earth where there is a steady-state economy in which population growth leads to unemployment.

Assuming everything in the universe must be in equilibrium is a truism that tells you nothing about the actual workings of the economy at any known scale of understanding. It's just a working assumption or a learning tool which is used for illustrative purposes and is not intended to represent any known world. That's not to knock the endeavor and economic management efforts, but at the end of the day the empirical reality still has the final word, and when it does not accord with expectation you know your theory is obviously wrong.

All management disciplines or practices look like that, but they're nothing like a real science, despite the propaganda and grandiose claims.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Culprit wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/intergenerational-report-prepared-by-baby-boomers-who-had-the-best-deal-of-any-generation-20150305-13ujt7.html

Thanks for posting that. Been arguing with others about this for a while.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
Gillard didn't have enough time or political capital to have much impact either way, and Abbott /Hockey have done nothing except pour petrol on the fire.

Gillard had time. She was Prime Minister for 3 years almost to the day. Krudd had 3 years 7 months in his first go, Bud and Shrek have had 18 months so far.

She may have lacked other things, but not the time.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Duh. She didn't have time to scratch. She was dealing with a hostile traitor in her own party trying to bring her down at every opportunity, a media smear campaign unprecedented in the history of this nation, the most negative and vociferously untruthful opposition we have ever seen, and had to negotiate every single bit of legislation through a minority parliament. It's amazing she managed to get anything done, but she did. Among other things, Gillard and Swan brought in more than 100 necessary tax reforms to, for example, cut down on international transfer pricing tax evasion, restore just a little sanity to the mining industry, and price carbon. It wasn't anywhere near enough, just a drop in the bucket really, but it was a step in the right direction.

Abbott, in stark contrast, immediately engaged reverse gear and wrecked almost all of the good work Gillard and Swan had done, and followed it up with further idiocies of his own. The GP tax is a perfect example: it was not just a piddly bit of revenue with high compliance costs, but also was set to impose a huge extra cost burden on the health budget. As every medical expert and economist knows, the worst think you can do to increase health care costs is stop people seeking preventative primary care. You save a few pennies on GP visits, and lose five times as much on expensive hospital treatment later.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 pm

She had 3 years and a compliant senate, as long as she put stuff up that the Greens liked or didn't fundamentally disagree with. That's how she managed to get so much legislation through, but nothing for the economy funny enough.

Yes she had distractions but that's a piss poor excuse really when she was able to focus on so many other things.

Maybe the real question is, was it her failing or was it the greens showing their economic credentials?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

^ Huh? The carbon and mining taxes were good economic policy (at least before they got watered down, against the will of the Greens). Just because Abbott and Hockey say otherwise doesn't make it so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: