Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was it a win with the draft?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

melliot wrote:
I find it interesting that we recruited no talls, other than Moore. Moore could be backman. I'm concerned that we don't have any tall forwards coming through our system. Gault is it and as a Rookie, it's likely he will only be a role player, not a 200 gamer.

I'm sure Hine has done his magic, but I think our list is unbalanced with a lack of tall forwards coming through to support and then replace Cloke in 4-5 years.

Must admit I am also wondering where our next KPF will come from. Even with Moore, there isn't anyone besides Gault, Cox, Witts and Grundy, and none of those scream quality KPF. I guess Hine didn't rate any talls that highly so went for mids instead, which is fair enough.

Hopefully we land Cameron next year and it ceases to be an issue for concern.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:47 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Was it a win? Htf could anyone possibly answer that? You want convincing 3 hours after the kids have been drafted? Are you serious?

We of the Armchair Recruiting Societies Extraordinaire use Evidence Based Practice:

1. Speculation
2. Optimism
3. Hope
4. Double Blind controlled studies - (well depending on how much Stui, TP, Tannin & Member are consuming)
5. The fact that none of the recruits have let us down so far
6. The fact that none of the recruits have missed a target so far
7. The fact that other mock drafts have mentioned these players before
and
8. That halal is not an issue here

means in total this is a fine draft. Nothing surer.

I could bet your house on it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 pm

roar wrote:
melliot wrote:
I find it interesting that we recruited no talls, other than Moore. Moore could be backman. I'm concerned that we don't have any tall forwards coming through our system. Gault is it and as a Rookie, it's likely he will only be a role player, not a 200 gamer.

I'm sure Hine has done his magic, but I think our list is unbalanced with a lack of tall forwards coming through to support and then replace Cloke in 4-5 years.

Must admit I am also wondering where our next KPF will come from. Even with Moore, there isn't anyone besides Gault, Cox, Witts and Grundy, and none of those scream quality KPF. I guess Hine didn't rate any talls that highly so went for mids instead, which is fair enough.

Hopefully we land Cameron next year and it ceases to be an issue for concern.

We've also got Reid.....and Clokey has a few more years left. Next year I suspect we'll target another tall forward in the draft. I'm comfortable with the composition of our list.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:10 pm

watt price tully wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Was it a win? Htf could anyone possibly answer that? You want convincing 3 hours after the kids have been drafted? Are you serious?

We of the Armchair Recruiting Societies Extraordinaire use Evidence Based Practice:

1. Speculation
2. Optimism
3. Hope
4. Double Blind controlled studies - (well depending on how much Stui, TP, Tannin & Member are consuming)
5. The fact that none of the recruits have let us down so far
6. The fact that none of the recruits have missed a target so far
7. The fact that other mock drafts have mentioned these players before
and
8. That halal is not an issue here

means in total this is a fine draft. Nothing surer.

I could bet your house on it.

I con kerr. Hic.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm

I am really happy with the orientation now, which seems to be to place the priority on strengthening the midfield. We have two great KP players in Travis, and Ben Reid, and I think we are developing the depth and capacity to play Jamie Elliott mostly in the forward line. Hawthorn and Port Adelaide are both benchmarks now, and both teams have many players who can play in any position which gives them enormous flexibility. Port adelaide has a team virtually of midfielders. I think that Buckley is heading in this direction by massively strengthening the midfield, thereby allowing unpredictable rotations across the ground. I really like these draft selections: I think they are in line with the current "best practice" model.
I think we are also anticipating the continued rapid improvement of Jarrod Witts, who has shown great potential as a second tall target in our forward line.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:21 pm

I am very bullish about Maynard. Seems a pick and play kid.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm

De Goey and Maynard may play in 2015 according to Hine so that means they are ready to go. Moore looks the pick of the crop to me, but will probably take longer; 2016/2017 should see him ready.

I'm still of the opinion that we are taking a big risk not recruiting a tall KPP. We are putting our faith in 2 blokes who can barely play a game between them in Reid and Brown. If they play to form in 2015 they'll spend a lot of time in the medical room and Frost, Keeffe and Langdon will have to repeat their brave performances of this year.

At the other end White was a fail, Karnezis couldn't play and Cloke played injured.The injury front would have to improve one would think, but our spine looks vulnerable. There were plenty of talls in this draft but we ignored them.

I've been pushing for big-bodied mids and now we have plenty; but unless lady luck smiles on Reid and Brown then we are in for far more pain with no replacements in the wings.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 am

^ Neil due to the TPP and list restrictions we will never be able to cover all scenarios. All recruiting decisions basically rob Peter to pay Paul.

All the clubs have the same problems unless they have a COLA/Player Retention Allowance and/or larger lists.

Or do a Carlscum and pay outside the TPP

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:21 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I am really happy with the orientation now, which seems to be to place the priority on strengthening the midfield. We have two great KP players in Travis, and Ben Reid, and I think we are developing the depth and capacity to play Jamie Elliott mostly in the forward line. Hawthorn and Port Adelaide are both benchmarks now, and both teams have many players who can play in any position which gives them enormous flexibility. Port adelaide has a team virtually of midfielders. I think that Buckley is heading in this direction by massively strengthening the midfield, thereby allowing unpredictable rotations across the ground. I really like these draft selections: I think they are in line with the current "best practice" model.
I think we are also anticipating the continued rapid improvement of Jarrod Witts, who has shown great potential as a second tall target in our forward line.

Totally agree Magpietothemax draft selections seem good and flexibility is a key. We also have a very young spine and the older guys who can offer a lot more next season!

Frost, Keefe, Grundy, Witts, will improve and start to make a greater impact on games and the oldies - Reid, Brown will do better in 2015 just getting out on the park! - and the older oldies of our spine - Cloke and White - had poor years in 2014 - but I would back both of them will improve with Reid around and some more support from the younger talls - looking good for 2015 for the spine with Moore and Gault good prospects for 2016 and beyond Smile

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:25 am

If I am ever looking for them enormous flexibility are, I will ask him
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:52 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

Wow, what a good, well written and intelligent post.

Dr. Jinx 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

At the other end White was a fail, Karnezis couldn't play and Cloke played injured.The injury front would have to improve one would think, but our spine looks vulnerable. There were plenty of talls in this draft but we ignored them.

I think Karnezis will come on next year and be a very valuable part of our team. Sees himself playing a forward wing role, would be able to be a sort of third tall target and could run through the midfield if necessary. Things are looking good!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Well I wasn't overly thrilled with the way the cards fell, as we didn't get any of the players I was hoping we'd get. I'd have preferred LaVerde at 5, Boekhorst at 30 and Jack Lonie at 48, but unfortunately Carlton and StKilda jumped on the last two. The 'good' judges had those last two struggling to get picked at all, but I'm sure our interest in them fixed that. DeGoey is surely going to be an excellent player, especially if the last ten #5s are any indication, but I really wanted footballers rather than athletes this time.
Bloody Essendon must've thought it was xmas come early with LaVerde and Langford still sitting there for them to snaffle. That REALLY pissed me off! StKilda were probably the biggest winners, but of course we did well to get Moore at 9, but if Footscray weren't such bitchez we coulda used pick 30 on him, and had an extra top ten pick.

That said, I'm not at all concerned about KPPs, or a lack thereof, we currently have Cloke, White, Cox, Moore, Gault, & Witts and I think our big forwards will be Moore and Cox. I'm amazed at how well the Big Seppo is developing, could be a real bonus. Besides, we have the rookie draft still to come and another couple of Main drafts before Cloke retires.
Our midfield has got all kinds of wheels now with Pendles, Sidey, Swan, Greenwood, Degoey, Crisp, Adams, Freeman, Maynard, Sweeper, and even Karnezis, Blair, Marley, Armstrong, Thomas and BenKen to think about. If the future model is having 20 utility players we are definitely covered.
People are saying this or that guy won't be any good, but sides that make big leaps do so because they are working as a team and the whole unit makes big strides. Looking at how our boys are training really amazes me, the attitude and camaraderie we didnt have last year seems to be all over the place now. I don't think its back at 2010-11 levels, but its certainly better than 2014, and no one wants to be left behind, the guys are supporting each other and a couple are looking huge.
We have several guys who know they have to perform this year, including Fas, Varcoe, Dasher, Sinclair and others, and they are getting support for their hard work. Levi is already something of a favourite I gather, and I'm really excited about what Crisp might become, he certainly has the skills.

My question is about the leadership, but with almost no players left who played with Bucks, we have a very young group keen to play for each other. I'm certainly more encouraged than I was at the end of 2014, and while I'm not predicting a minor premiership, if everything falls into place with the young guys I suspect a top four slot is a bit of a chance.
Obviously no one knows how the drafted kids will turn out, but the way the new blokes are being welcomed makes me feel like we might play as a team again. Nothing is more important.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:11 am

Would be interested to know how many top ten draft picks in the last 20 years or so have left immediately after their 'mandatory' initial draft contract was concluded for another club then the club who drafted them, and of these, how many left for the club they supported as a kid???
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Moore, these kids, freeman, scharenberg, will all be a vital part of our next premiership team, circa 2016 !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: