Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Great expectation - new draftees

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Post subject: Great expectation - new drafteesReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
I should add that, although I am very eager to see more of the next generation of players getting their chance, McCartin's debut showed precisely why Collingwood is not rushing all of the boys into the seniors until they are ready. McCartin was a number 1 draft pick and is said to be elite in all sorts of ways but on at least two occasions last night, he "passed" the ball to the man on the mark. There's a big step up from junior football to the AFL.

i have been meaning to write something about this for a while now.

more and more i have heard commentary (from those that know, i.e. coaches, past coaches and players) about the step up from tac cup to vfl to afl. many speak about how the new recruits are not equipped to make the transition immediately and there are only a precocious few who can. they also talk about how the game of footy at afl level is nothing like at the lower levels of tac cup or local footy.

last night, malthouse talked at length about not playing draftees before they're ready. he made points about what it might do for their families and the player's confidence if things don't go well. brad sewell conceded that roughy, franklin and hodge got games before they should have.

clubs invest a small fortune on the development of the kids they bring in. they have so much to learn about footy at the top level whilst they're also learning to be adults and grow as human beings. paul roos almost lamented the fact that no professional league in the world has the development structures that afl has.

irrational it might be but other than that why do supporters expect draftees to come into an afl game and play at full competence? i see it as a bit like uni which can somewhat prepare you for your first job but by no means will you be 100% competent when you start. lots of learning and training has to happen before 100% competence is achieved.

like all collingwood supporters, i want to see our future now (jdg, freeman, scharenberg etc) but i'm happy to wait until the club decides when it is their time. with any luck these guys will form the core of our next sustained tilt at the flag.

Last edited by John Wren on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post JW.

I still think that draftees need to be exposed to AFL and early. The difference with me and many in the public is that I don't expect them to do that well. Ideally, they would pull a Langdon and we'd all be stoked but realistically, I'm just looking for a few glimpses of what the player could become.

You have to give them a taste and not just a quarter or two as sub. All that does is show them the tempo that the game is played at. It doesn't give them a chance to settle into the tempo and it doesn't show them a glimpse of what is required to back it up week after week. The recovery, the eating, the training, the sleep.

Once they get a look at all that, then fine, send them back to the magoos to work on stuff for a while if they need to. To use your uni analogy, a bit like regular work experience. So that when the time to step up occurs, it is a natural, almost seamless thing.

What the public needs to do is stop writing them off after a couple games as is its wont. Pride is an important thing to any man but to young men it's crucial. Cut them down too ruthlessly and they'll all turn out like Jack Watts.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 pm

No one expects young players to come in and dominate straight away but that doesn't mean they can't make valuable contributions some weeks and not others.

Plenty of senior players do just that and make a career of it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:56 pm

It's all a balancing act, between picking the best team each week and exposing young players to senior footy to assist their development. Remember, contrary to the opinions of outsiders - including we Nicksters - Bucks and the players are aiming to play finals footy this year, which means we have to win at least 12 games. We are already playing a host of young players in Grundy, Langdon, Frost, Broomhead, Oxley, Crisp, Ramsay and Karnezis. While we supporters are impatient to see the likes of Moore, De Goey, Freeman, Scharenberg and Marsh play senior footy, I'm sure most of these will get their opportunities at some stage during the season. Remember, we also have Witts and Reid available, and it's hard to envisage them both not being in our best 22.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:48 pm

swoop42 wrote:
No one expects young players to come in and dominate straight away but that doesn't mean they can't make valuable contributions some weeks and not others.

Plenty of senior players do just that and make a career of it.

This. Supporters need to temper their expectations. Even McCartin showed a bit last night but realistically it'll be 4 years before he starts to really impact games.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's all a balancing act, between picking the best team each week and exposing young players to senior footy to assist their development. Remember, contrary to the opinions of outsiders - including we Nicksters - Bucks and the players are aiming to play finals footy this year, which means we have to win at least 12 games. We are already playing a host of young players in Grundy, Langdon, Frost, Broomhead, Oxley, Crisp, Ramsay and Karnezis. While we supporters are impatient to see the likes of Moore, De Goey, Freeman, Scharenberg and Marsh play senior footy, I'm sure most of these will get their opportunities at some stage during the season. Remember, we also have Witts and Reid available, and it's hard to envisage them both not being in our best 22.

In an ideal world the kids would be getting introduced to a stable competitive senior lineup with capacity to absorb some of the load of the kids. As you've highlighted that isn't our circumstance but even so some are showing that they can contribute on the back of minimal experience. There will be games where it will cost but that is what 2015 should be about.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Good point. But due to the draft, the best kids are drafted to basket cases
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 pm

J W, this is a brilliant O P. I was considering doing something similar but you have nailed it. Just to add to your comments, the TAC game is very different. They limit the number of forwards allowed in their own 50. They ( coaches ) are encouraged to play one on one footy and tags are frowned upon.
The kids simply have no idea when they come into their first year of AFL.
They are required to become " situational " players the moment they join an AFL club and this takes time. In the course of one pre season, they go from hunting the footy at every chance to learning two completely different roles depending on which team has possesion. This doesnt happen overnight. Modern footy is about zones, grids, occupying corridors etc. if one link in the chain breaks down, you are exposed very quickly.
Its easy to say the kids should get some senior exposure to give them a taste but no coach will do that if they think the kids dont fully understand all aspects of the game plan.
Its the same reason why the club keeps going back to our favorite whipping boys. We mightnt think they are any good ( even though they are premiership players ) but they know their roles back to front and sometimes that means more than debuting a kid because supporters are impatient.
If the kids are any good, they will play soon enough but dont gift them a game until they are ready in body, mind and situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: