Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood Matthew Goodyear

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate 'Wozza' as was a...
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:00 pm

i know that highlights tapes aren't going to put in lots of bloopers, but from what we can see, he is very composed with the ball and hits his targets. He is also quite elusive and fast.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
i know that highlights tapes aren't going to put in lots of bloopers, but from what we can see, he is very composed with the ball and hits his targets. He is also quite elusive and fast.

Agree ... though also doesn't seem to have a left foot kick.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:39 pm

yeh, noticed that too
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:11 pm

I watched Hine's wrap-up of the draft and he said Goodyear's got excellent pace about him, but I think the recruiters know that his kicking needs improvement but he has a lot of potential to make it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I nominate "2010" as a nickname

I nominate "Gunnabeya" (Gonna be a) Gunner for short.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Now that I've settled down and got over the fact the draft didn't go exactly how I planned Wink I must say I don't mind the look of this kid at all.

Certainly has a skill set that we require in speed and endurance and hell he even averaged more ball per week at TAC level than any of De Goey, Laverde or Langford so he knows how to find it.

Now to develop and improve what he does with it.

You don't finish 2nd in a clubs best and fairest without talent that's for sure.

It's pick 48 so at this range it's always going to be hit and miss when it comes to players being able to make the grade at AFL level.

Welcome to Collingwood Matthew and best of luck.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:19 pm

This post was taken from bigfooty:

Believe me when I say we've done well with all three mids, but Goodyear has the most upside in my opinion, particularly with a lighter and more athletic frame than our other two boys. Having seen Calder on a number of occasions this year I wouldn't be surprised if we talking in my about Goodyear in more revered terms than the other two in a few years time.
Firstly lets put the Cavka myth to bed. Cavka mainly played half forward this year for Cannons not midfield, Goodyear leaves him for dead as a mid boasting top ten stats in the TAC in contested possession, clearances and hard ball gets- better stats across the board than De Goey and Maynard. His Vic Metro stats weren't as impressive but im led to believe he battled through injuries and illness during the carnival. My inside word tells me is when they compared Cavka and Goodyear, Derek weighed up athlete vs pure footballer (thank god we took a footballer). On top that he has elite speed and endurance (nowhere near Cavkas endurance, but no one in the draft was).
His kicking is not all doom and gloom, Goodyear and Touk Miller seemed to be the go to players for Calder this year and Goodyear often won that first possession/clearance under pressure- that style of game will always impact on kicking efficiency. His technique is sound although his low flat kicks need a little work. When you look at his videos he can hit targets effectively when he has time and space. His biggest issue is decision making and composure when running at top speed with the ball-our boys will fix this and I believe the recruiters knew that that this wasn't a major concern. Ive looked at the draft a few times (yes I'm a pies tragic) and Hines didnt hesitate when he called Goodyears name out-they never had Cavka earmarked for that pick, Goodyear is who they wanted.
I also hear his onfield leadership is impeccable. This boy was in the best in 10 games including all finals in the second best team (best during the h&a season ) in the best u18 comp in the land.
What his vids dont show is his defensive game which is outstanding-he averages nearly 2 more tackles a game than De Goey and works extremely hard both ways, which is what we need at the pies.
Ponder these stats fellow pies tragics and start to get excited because weve picked up a steal. Im throwing in the highly touted no.3 pick and disposal efficiency king (???) Angus Brayshaw as a interesting comparison with our 3 boys.
TAC averages
contested possession
Mayn 9.1
De Goe 6.9
Goody 12.3
Brayshaw 11.5
Disposal efficiency
May 65.3%
De goe 69 %
Good 61 %
Brayshaw 57.8%
Average possessions
Mayn 21.9
De goey 15.1 (this worries me a bit)
Goody 23.3
Brayshaw 23.5
Tackles
Mayn 5.9 (love that)
De goe 2.8
Goody 4.4
Brayshaw 6

We need to take a deep breath, look at the facts and give this boy an opportunity to develop because I believe we have what they call in the industry a 'hidden gem'. I will not be surprised if we have another Swanny (big call I know-but both from Calder, Goodyear pick 48, Swanny 5Cool on our hands!!!
Welcome to our GREAT club Matthew Goodyear!!!!

I can't vouch for all the stats as 100% accurate but it's interesting reading nonetheless.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:52 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/prolific-calder-cannons-onballer-matt-goodyear-hoping-to-fulfil-afl-draft-dream/story-fngnvocb-1227124553191

Boy this kid is growing on me.

Cavka who?

LOL.

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 pm

^^ Pretty interesting stats there. Thanks for posting this. Its hard not to like the upside here. Feeling much better about our picks.

Very Happy
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for posting that BF stuff swoop. I'm liking this kid more and more. Reckon all he needs is a few more kilos - like about 10 - and he'll be right to go. Smile
tommo 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Bit of Barlow about him IMO
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Highlights are just that - highlights. But I certainly didn't see any butchering of the ball there. I saw precision and picking the right option. I'm impressed.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:46 pm

If it only saves you once a year... It's a Goodyear.

Hope he kicks a goal after the siren and we can use that one.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 pm

swoop42 wrote:
This post was taken from bigfooty:

Believe me when I say we've done well with all three mids, but Goodyear has the most upside in my opinion, particularly with a lighter and more athletic frame than our other two boys. Having seen Calder on a number of occasions this year I wouldn't be surprised if we talking in my about Goodyear in more revered terms than the other two in a few years time.
Firstly lets put the Cavka myth to bed. Cavka mainly played half forward this year for Cannons not midfield, Goodyear leaves him for dead as a mid boasting top ten stats in the TAC in contested possession, clearances and hard ball gets- better stats across the board than De Goey and Maynard. His Vic Metro stats weren't as impressive but im led to believe he battled through injuries and illness during the carnival. My inside word tells me is when they compared Cavka and Goodyear, Derek weighed up athlete vs pure footballer (thank god we took a footballer). On top that he has elite speed and endurance (nowhere near Cavkas endurance, but no one in the draft was).
His kicking is not all doom and gloom, Goodyear and Touk Miller seemed to be the go to players for Calder this year and Goodyear often won that first possession/clearance under pressure- that style of game will always impact on kicking efficiency. His technique is sound although his low flat kicks need a little work. When you look at his videos he can hit targets effectively when he has time and space. His biggest issue is decision making and composure when running at top speed with the ball-our boys will fix this and I believe the recruiters knew that that this wasn't a major concern. Ive looked at the draft a few times (yes I'm a pies tragic) and Hines didnt hesitate when he called Goodyears name out-they never had Cavka earmarked for that pick, Goodyear is who they wanted.
I also hear his onfield leadership is impeccable. This boy was in the best in 10 games including all finals in the second best team (best during the h&a season ) in the best u18 comp in the land.
What his vids dont show is his defensive game which is outstanding-he averages nearly 2 more tackles a game than De Goey and works extremely hard both ways, which is what we need at the pies.
Ponder these stats fellow pies tragics and start to get excited because weve picked up a steal. Im throwing in the highly touted no.3 pick and disposal efficiency king (???) Angus Brayshaw as a interesting comparison with our 3 boys.
TAC averages
contested possession
Mayn 9.1
De Goe 6.9
Goody 12.3
Brayshaw 11.5
Disposal efficiency
May 65.3%
De goe 69 %
Good 61 %
Brayshaw 57.8%
Average possessions
Mayn 21.9
De goey 15.1 (thvis worries me a bit)
Goody 23.3
Brayshaw 23.5
Tackles
Mayn 5.9 (love that)
De goe 2.8
Goody 4.4
Brayshaw 6

We need to take a deep breath, look at the facts and give this boy an opportunity to develop because I believe we have what they call in the industry a 'hidden gem'. I will not be surprised if we have another Swanny (big call I know-but both from Calder, Goodyear pick 48, Swanny 5Cool on our hands!!!
Welcome to our GREAT club Matthew Goodyear!!!!

I can't vouch for all the stats as 100% accurate but it's interesting reading nonetheless.

The average possession stats for DeGoey is a bit misleading or misunderstood. He spent a majority of his time in the forward line as opposed to the pure on-ballers. When he did go through the middle he was able to accumulate both contested and uncontested footy.
Like Beams and sidey he will start forward and progress through the midfield. Unlike them both though he is a much better forward and in particular overhead mark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: