Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Senators resigning to become independant

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:43 pm
Post subject: Senators resigning to become independantReply with quote

Just a thought with Jacqui Mutton resigning from the PUP to go independant. Should that be able to happen?

This is not about her as such, but a general concept. If you stand for a senate seat as a part of a party, there's a fair proportion of the vote that comes your way because of the party you were in. People vote for the person based on the advertised party values and policy position.

So, if I stand for election for Labor or the Greens and then after getting elected have a philosophical disagreement and decide to resign from the party, should I be basically kicked out of parliament and a by election held?

Using the Lambie example, it just seems somehow wrong that on whatever basis she got the election, she's now got a high paid gig for 6 years and is accountable to no one for what she does in that time. Seems shonky.

My thought would be if you stand for parliament for a party and get elected, you're tied to that party. If you have a falling out of principles, you leave and a new election gets held with all parties and candidates getting a fresh start.

Thoughts?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a light weight!

"William Morris "Billy" Hughes, CH, KC, (25 September 1862 28 October 1952), Australian politician, was the seventh Prime Minister of Australia, from 1915 to 1923.

Over the course of his 51-year federal parliamentary career (and an additional seven years prior to that in a colonial parliament), Hughes changed parties five times: from Labor (190116) to National Labor (191617) to Nationalist (191730) to Australian (193031) to United Australia (193144) to Liberal (194452). He was expelled from three parties, and represented four different electorates in two states."
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm

mutton dressed up as lambie.

don't like her much but at least she is sticking to her principles.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Wokko wrote:
She's a light weight!

"William Morris "Billy" Hughes, CH, KC, (25 September 1862 28 October 1952), Australian politician, was the seventh Prime Minister of Australia, from 1915 to 1923.

Over the course of his 51-year federal parliamentary career (and an additional seven years prior to that in a colonial parliament), Hughes changed parties five times: from Labor (190116) to National Labor (191617) to Nationalist (191730) to Australian (193031) to United Australia (193144) to Liberal (194452). He was expelled from three parties, and represented four different electorates in two states."

Lol, cheers for the history lesson and I'm sure she would be clearly happy to be referred to as a "light weight" (until someone explained it to her) but the point isn't what has been, but what should be?

is it fair to get elected representing one party and then leave it?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 pm

I believe in the Senate you are first meant to be a representative for your state and a member of a party second. Of course, it doesn't work like this in practice any more, but I would be more than happy for Senators to care more about representing their constituents rather than playing party politics.

PUP is a vanity project and a joke anyway, I'm happy to see this populist rubbish fall apart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 pm

I fear as we have seen in this thread she have a "Julia" like campaign waged against her.

I expected better from you Stui.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm
Post subject: Re: Senators resigning to become independantReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Just a thought with Jacqui Mutton resigning from the PUP to go independant. Should that be able to happen?

Yes, of course, for several reasons. Before we look at those reasons, however, perhaps we should ponder the sudden conversion of Senator S. Magpie to the "throw them out and have a fresh election" camp. Very sudden - you were utterly silent on this exact same issue when it was your own beloved, now disgraced, Liberal Party MLA Geoff Shaw who left his party. (Or was kicked out. Can anyone remember which? Does it matter?) A fresh election in Frankston a couple of years ago would have seen the demise of the incompetent Ted and Denis show and their replacement by Andrews and Labor, nothing more certain, the polls have had Labor miles in front ever since Ted's TAFE massacre.

If it's good to call for Lambie to face the people, then why weren't you calling for an immediate Frankston by-election?

Egg on face.

But enough of that, let's return to the broader question.

First, the person elected is the person elected. The person. So far as the constitution is concerned, parties don't exist. They are irrelevant. (We all know that they do exist, for better or worse, mostly worse, nevertheless, there dis nothing, repeat nothing in the rules we all play by about party membership.

Second, who is to say whether the member left the party or the party left the member? Let's think of a few examples:

Craig Thompson didn't leave of his own volition, he was quietly pressured to go - and unless I miss my guess, it was very strong pressure. Despite everything, Thompson was a loyal and dedicated believer and supporter of the Labor movement and of the party. He had and has a genuine passion for fairness and justice. (He also seems to have had his dick in a lot of places it didn't belong and to have done it shamelessly on his members' dollar. Like most, he was a complex mix of good and bad, with a lot more genuine good in him than many another I could name on either side of the house - Rudd, for example, or practically anyone on the Liberal front bench. Can't say I think much of Conroy either. Thompson's willingness to go quietly and take the hit - never mind that he deserved it - makes an extraordinary contrast with Rudd's transparent disloyalty and self-seeking ego. In the end, Thompson helped himself to some of his workmates' money, never stole from the public purse, and in the end betrayed himself more than anyone else. Rudd, on the other hand, betrayed his country, his party, and the whole of humanity when, through a mixture of selfishness, fright, and towering fragile ego, he failed to go to the people on the ETS as he should have done, then failed to shut up and take it on the chin like a loyal, dedicated Labor man, and finally intrigued ceaslessly and dishonestly to get back the job he'd been so woefully incompetent at.

Err .. I seem to have wandered a little off topic.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

1061 wrote:
I fear as we have seen in this thread she have a "Julia" like campaign waged against her.

I expected better from you Stui.

OK, wind me back and explain what you're talking about and why?

Look, people can make their own opinions about what i post and ascribe whatever motive suits their mood at the time, that doesn't make it correct. I generally don't post anything based on deep seated beliefs, it's often whatever bright shiny thing that caught my attention at the time. And the people who scoff at that and presume that they know my thought processes are so full of shite they're a H&S hazard. (I'm expecting that won't stop some people who have narrow perspectives and serious blinkers from making utterly ridiculous assumptions but hey, what can you do. The best thing about the internet is that it gives everyone a voice. It's also the worst thing about it)

I'll try to make it so simple even Ptiddy might get it.

This is not about Jacqui Lambie, she is merely the catalyst for the question. I actually don't care what happens to her one way or the other. So here's the simple question:

If you are elected to parliament as a member of a party, and later choose to resign from that party, should your election be declared Null and a new election held for that seat?

In that situation, Lambie would be free to re-stand for the same gig as an independent, not expelled from parliament, but what it does is gives the people who elected her the opportunity to either confirm that that want her to represent them or choose to vote for someone else.

I just think that the whole gig about voting is intended to be you vote for what you want to represent you and for the vast majority of people, they vote on party lines knowing farc all about the actual candidate.

So, if someone then leaves that party once elected, they have betrayed the trust of the electorate.

If people disagree, feel free to do so but try to add some actual reason for it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Senators resigning to become independantReply with quote

Senator Madigan (former DLP) is a very different example. So far as anyone can tell, Madigan has remained very true to the things he stood for, and the reason he left the DLP was that the party bosses wanted to control him and his vote in a way he couldn't accept or live with. The faceless party bosses, in other words, thought they were more important than the man the people of Victoria elected. I'd call this one a clear case of the party leaving the politician,. not the other way around. If there was a fresh election, I reckon Madigan would be re-elected comfortably. His honesty and genuine desire to do good has made him a lot of friends - even people like me who are strongly opposed to his views on many things respect him.

Ricky Muir hasn't left the MEP but his party has pretty much self-destructed. Meanwhile, this bumbling know-nothing accidental politician has put his head down and worked very hard to do his job as best he can, and made a pretty good fist of it. His flunkeys keep leaving or getting the arse, and the relationship between Muir and his miniscule party is tenuous at best, but Muir has let them know that he's not going to be pushed around by some jumped-up unelected party boss from Queensland and he'll make his own decisions.

Lambie claims - with more than a little justification - to be sticking to her contract with the people of Tasmania 'coz that's more important than her relationship with the man who bought her seat for her. Good on her for that.

Geoff Shaw. Need I say more?

Don Chip. The great Don Chip left his party and went on to found and lead one of the great Australian political parties in recent decades. the Democrats never made it into government, but they were a long-lasting influence for moderation and decency. Would you have thrown Chippie out?

Slippery Pete. Um ....

Arthur Sinodinos. Hasn't (officially) left the Liberal Party yet, but it seems very likely that he will never return to the fold, certainly not if he goes on trial before the expiration of his term. If he does go on trial for corruption - you'd think he probably will - the charges will be really serious: we are talking $20,000,000 out of the public purse here (which he didn't get in the end) plus untold nastiness related to failure to act properly and honestly as a director of a company. Obviously, he'd have to resign from the Liberal Party at that point - particularly as we are talking serious corruption charges here, way, way more serious than the (relatively) piddly little offences Geoff Shaw and Craig Thompson had to resign for. But my guess is that it will be a few years yet before the charges are laid - hell, they've only just got around to charging his crony Eddie Obied this week, and Obied's offences came to light four or five years ago. Most likely, Sinodinos will quietly resign for "family reasons" or similar some time before his term expires, and be an "ex-Liberal" when the shit really hits the fan. Like Thompson and unlike Shaw, he'll probably go quietly.

(Edited to add a bit more)

Last edited by Tannin on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Last point, and the crusher. So far as senators go (and MLCs in the state system), you cannot have a fresh election. It's impossible. Well, impossible short of throwing out every senator from the particular state and making the whole bloody lot of them stand for re-election. I'd have thought that would be obvious in light of the recent Western Australian Senate re-run.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm throwing out this keyboard, it obviously posts in Braille.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Tannin wrote:
Last point, and the crusher. So far as senators go (and MLCs in the state system), you cannot have a fresh election. It's impossible. Well, impossible short of throwing out every senator from the particular state and making the whole bloody lot of them stand for re-election. I'd have thought that would be obvious in light of the recent Western Australian Senate re-run.

I was going to say both this and reitterate what I said about Senators representing their State, not a party but your comments appeared while I was reading the others so I don't need to say them again, merely confirm and second them.

Hopefully Lambie can become the Brian Harradine of our age; using her power to stand up for and assist the people of Tasmania, who get the short end of the stick in Canberra.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 pm

I agree, Wokko, except the bit about Tasmania getting the short end of the stick. Loyal Tasmanian though I am - 100% Tasmanian blood in these veins* - Tasmania actually gets massive favours from Canberra and a vastly bigger slice of the taxation pie than any other state. As always, Victoria pays the most and gets the least, NSW does a lot of heavy lifting, Queensland now finally pulls its weight, SA is a basket case living on hand-outs, Tasmania more so and worse, and Western Australia gets a much-better-than-fair go and whinges louder than anyone.

Why does Tasmania get so much more than a fair thing? Because, of course, Tasmania is by far the cheapest place to buy votes. With only a handful of people - it's tiny compared to NSW or Qld or Vic or even WA - but the same 12 senators that the big states have, it's pork-barrel paradise. But nobody minds: everybody likes Tasmania and Tasmanians. Whinging Western Australians, now that's a different thing.

* Not counting alcohol in my percentage calculation, of course, or tannin, or coffee, chocolate, headache pills, prescription meds or possibly drain cleaner.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm channeling Tannin of two years ago:

What is this thing called "Independant"

Pendant?

Independent.

Dunno about those schools in Toke-or-more

If only he'd completed a BA Wink Embarassed

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Eny fule kno that and independent charts his own course and belongs to no party, while and independant swings with the breeze. Or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: