Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpie stadium no pie in the sky

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't see it ever happening, if we were ever to build a new home ground, it should be somewhere in the north East corridor, either Preston, Heidelberg or out Greensborough way, which are all 'Collingwood' suburbs.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Vic park would have issues with parking and whinging neighbours.

There was lots of community unrest prior to the club leaving Vic Park, can't imagine that would have changed or that the local council would support a move back there.

Always amazed that people move next to something (airport, freeway, industrial zone, sporting facility) and then complain that it's having a negative impact on them... well hello!

I'd imagine most of the unrest was due to the parking situation.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:31 pm

I can't see it happening to be honest no matter how ambitious the idea is. As RudeBoy said, we were reckless to give Victoria Park the flick after 1999 without taking into account that a stadium upgrade could have been possible with state government funding.

To be honest it's more likely that a third football stadium will be built in Melbourne to cater to smaller Victorian clubs like the Bulldogs and Kangaroos who don't draw large crowds at the MCG let alone at Etihad Stadium which is a soulless and stale stadium atmosphere and location wise.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 pm

The trouble with Vic Park was the fricken
council! It did everything to drive us away
including putting no standing signs miles away
from the ground.
We didn't own the ground because no
collingwood admin from decades past
ever seriously tried to buy the land from the
council.
Just another bloody poor decision
from past collingwood admins who never ever had
insight or vision.
Must have been that catholic conservatism
that runs deep in the collingwood veins.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Buy Watsonia footy ground and develop that.

short walk from a train station, right in the middle of traditional Collingwood territory, right next to the ring road exit, and I could walk to games and call in the RSL on the way home. Sold.

Get that crowd funding shit up on Kickstarter, I'm in for $10. Razz Wink
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:

short walk from a train station, right in the middle of traditional Collingwood territory, right next to the ring road exit, and I could walk to games and call in the RSL on the way home. Sold.

Train stations to far from the oval, 15 minutes or so, no trams either.

Macleods junior ground could be an option, lots of spare space around there including the golf links, train station 2 minutes away, would need to buy out the tennis club though.

Or

Macleods senior ground, 5 minutes walk from Rossana station, not as much room though, no trams at either venue either.

But then again, building a train station along side Watsonias oval would be a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing the road issues involved with either of Macleods grounds.

You like this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 pm

How about the Heidelberg Soccer Ground, it could be linked to Northland with a walkway and the carparking is already there.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Macleods junior ground could be an option, lots of spare space around there including the golf links, train station 2 minutes away, would need to buy out the tennis club though.

Or

Macleods senior ground, 5 minutes walk from Rossana station, not as much room though, no trams at either venue either.

But then again, building a train station along side Watsonias oval would be a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing the road issues involved with either of Macleods grounds.

Shocked Confused And how far is the walk from Jolimont or Richmond station to the G. You wouldn't need to build a new station, it would be cheaper to put on a private bus service on game day, like the RSL courtesy bus, just bigger.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Seriously, I reckon somewhere like Watsonia would be fantastic. It would need to be somewhere in the Collingwood heartland of that north eastern corridor, where we could genuinely call it home.

Unfortunately I think it's just a dream, never to be realised, but there's nothing wrong with dreaming.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 pm

35k-40k seats around Olympic park would just about fit, plenty of parking/transport and right outside the eventual social club...
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Seriously, I reckon somewhere like Watsonia would be fantastic. It would need to be somewhere in the Collingwood heartland of that north eastern corridor, where we could genuinely call it home.

Unfortunately I think it's just a dream, never to be realised, but there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

Nice dream but.

And if you link up the Ring road with the eastern freeway, you have access by tollway from both west and east and the train straight up the middle.

Make it happen Ed, there's enough land to do it. Very Happy
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Or

Shocked Confused And how far is the walk from Jolimont or Richmond station to the G. You wouldn't need to build a new station, it would be cheaper to put on a private bus service on game day, like the RSL courtesy bus, just bigger.

It is a fair walk though, gotta walk the length of Watsonia road pretty much 'or' from the station along the old Greensboro road to Grimshaw st, I do like the idea though, Watsionias ground has a heap of space and has a natural amphitheater around half of it, good road access etc, would probably need underground parking though but hey, no one said this is going to be a cheap venture.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:52 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

Victoria Park is a real home ground and always will be. Those tools calling for some half cocked idea of a new home ground out in the burbs are traitors and anti Collingwood.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Or

It is a fair walk though, gotta walk the length of Watsonia road pretty much 'or' from the station along the old Greensboro road to Grimshaw st, I do like the idea though, Watsionias ground has a heap of space and has a natural amphitheater around half of it, good road access etc, would probably need underground parking though but hey, no one said this is going to be a cheap venture.

Well said, I concede, Watsonia it is.

Very Happy
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 pm

1061 wrote:
How about the Heidelberg Soccer Ground, it could be linked to Northland with a walkway and the carparking is already there.

Appalling public transport to Olympic Village.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: