Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpie stadium no pie in the sky

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Now this, this right here, this will have me coming back to the footy! Hell, crowd-fund the damn thing if need be. I'd be happy to pay a membership fee of $12.50+ to raise $1M to get the ball rolling...

DO. IT.

I'm no expert, but we'd need a 50-60,000 capacity venue to make it worthwhile. I reckon you'd need a minimum of $100 million (probably twice that amount) to build that. That's a lot of crowd funding. Rolling Eyes

$100 million might just about get you foundations. dude, a stadium is a $500m-$1 billion project. especially if we are going to build the biggest scoreboard on the planet to take the title off Dallas Cowboys! they spent about $2 billion on their stadium.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Do not.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:48 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
What is wrong with Vic Park?
no room, heritage.......

Heritage is no barrier to development.

What's the going price for a state Planning Minister to over-rule any objection?
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Needs to hold 75000-80000 n be same ground size as mcg ,...is there enough room to expand at lexus? Get state funnding NOT afl funding as the afl would want control , the bastards.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Need car parking as well
Plus access to public transport

Guarantee where ever it is built someone will whinge

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:54 pm

If we're doing this, why is it that Carlton don't play at Pricefixer Park (which they redeveloped)? I didn't think the AFL wanted clubs owning and playing at their own venues anymore. How will we ensure decent fixturing so the new ground is profitable?

Can the Gosch's Paddock site be used? Would be great to be right next door to the training and corporate facilities. Pretty much has to be inner city or somewhere heading towards Collingwood/Abbotsford, I wouldn't want us to be in some heartless corporate, boutique ground in the leafy east or something.

Wherever we are I want black and white stripes down the side of the grand stand just like at Vic Park.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Reality check everyone.

I actually think Pert was just flying a kite, perhaps to deflect from our poor season just gone.

However, it's pretty clear that we will always play our big games at the MCG. I'd have thought a home ground, with a 50-60,000 capacity would be perfect for most games. It would probably be 50 not 60 thousand, and be a fully ticketed ground, like the Premier League grounds, such as Anfield.

Still, for all that, I can't really see it happening for 20 yrs or more, if ever. History shows we should never have abandoned Vic Park so recklessly. With State Govt support, it could have been upgraded to a 45,000 stadium, with a train station at its entrance. It could have become Australia's best boutique stadium.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:48 pm

For this to become a reality we would need a lot of the 40,000 members who don't attend many games to attend most home games. But we don't want to end up like the Bumblers who by moving to Docklands effectively put a decade long cap on their membership growth.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Wokko wrote:
If we're doing this, why is it that Carlton don't play at Pricefixer Park (which they redeveloped)? I didn't think the AFL wanted clubs owning and playing at their own venues anymore. How will we ensure decent fixturing so the new ground is profitable?

Can the Gosch's Paddock site be used? Would be great to be right next door to the training and corporate facilities. Pretty much has to be inner city or somewhere heading towards Collingwood/Abbotsford, I wouldn't want us to be in some heartless corporate, boutique ground in the leafy east or something.

Wherever we are I want black and white stripes down the side of the grand stand just like at Vic Park.

True - If they don’t get money from the G and The Dump Dome.

How would Poor Teams survive?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Still, for all that, I can't really see it happening for 20 yrs or more, if ever. History shows we should never have abandoned Vic Park so recklessly. With State Govt support, it could have been upgraded to a 45,000 stadium, with a train station at its entrance. It could have become Australia's best boutique stadium.

Still could but there is NO WILL in the board room at Olympic Park for this to happen as what investor mates would make money out it?

Remember this story 40 seconds in about a new training venue?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/25334438/melbourne-s-newest-suburb-unveiled/
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:42 pm

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Now this, this right here, this will have me coming back to the footy! Hell, crowd-fund the damn thing if need be. I'd be happy to pay a membership fee of $12.50+ to raise $1M to get the ball rolling...

DO. IT.

I'm no expert, but we'd need a 50-60,000 capacity venue to make it worthwhile. I reckon you'd need a minimum of $100 million (probably twice that amount) to build that. That's a lot of crowd funding. Rolling Eyes

$100 million might just about get you foundations. dude, a stadium is a $500m-$1 billion project. especially if we are going to build the biggest scoreboard on the planet to take the title off Dallas Cowboys! they spent about $2 billion on their stadium.

I think the Kardinia Park redevelopment over the last few years (2x major stands and lights) has cost $60-80M but that doesn't account for the value of the pre-existing elements.

Biggest issue would be acquiring sufficient land in a convenient location. Vic Park site isn't probably suitable, unlikely you'd get approval to build a significant stadium in the tennis centre-AAMI park precinct so what does that leave? Docklands redevelopment? Outer western suburbs? One of the park areas along the Yarra like out at Fairfield?

Can understand the reasoning but ultimately there will be far too many obsticles.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:47 pm

1061 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Still could but there is NO WILL in the board room at Olympic Park for this to happen as what investor mates would make money out it?

Remember this story 40 seconds in about a new training venue?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/25334438/melbourne-s-newest-suburb-unveiled/

Yuk. No thanks.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Vic park would have issues with parking and whinging neighbours.

Best option would be to buy the Punt road oval, we could use the MCG Car park and train station

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Defender wrote:

There was lots of community unrest prior to the club leaving Vic Park, can't imagine that would have changed or that the local council would support a move back there.

Always amazed that people move next to something (airport, freeway, industrial zone, sporting facility) and then complain that it's having a negative impact on them... well hello!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Defender wrote:

Best option would be to buy the Punt road oval, we could use the MCG Car park and train station

I actually was going to post the exact same thing (Punt Road), but not sure how I'd feel being at the spiritual home of another team. Equally Princes Park, we could buy that and turn it into a Collingwood ground but it would always have that Carlton smell to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: