Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parents Always Know Best, Right? New Sandy Hook Report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
Loose trash talk is so American and so wrong.

Haha. Shhhh - don't tell Tannin!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:29 am

I wouldn't call this person a mother more like F/wit of the year, I hope she ends up in General Population when she hits jail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-23/abandoned-babys-mother-identified/5912232

Quote:
The mother of a newborn baby boy left inside a drain near Sydney's M7 motorway has been found.

The baby's cries alerted cyclists who were riding alongside the motorway at Quaker's Hill in Sydney's west on Sunday morning.

He was rescued and police said it appeared the baby had been abandoned and dropped 2.5 metres through an opening in the drain.

Inspector David Lagats said officers were horrified by the discovery.

"It was already undernourished and dehydration would have taken effect," Inspector Lagats said.

Police doubt the child would have survived in Sunday's heat if he had not been found so early in the morning.

They believed the baby was born in hospital and after checking hospital records and doorknocking the area, they identified the baby's mother as a 30-year-old Quakers Hill woman.

Police said the woman was taken to Blacktown Hospital after complaining of an illness during questioning.

The boy remains in a serious but stable condition at the Children's Hospital at Westmead.

Earlier, Family and Community Services district director for Western Sydney Lisa Charet said the parents must have been feeling desperate.

"Often when this sort of thing happens, people are in a place of desperation," she said.

"There has been cases where mothers have had postnatal depression or those issues or are very young and don't know where to go to for help. That's where we come in because we can provide help.

"We are really worried about primarily his welfare and mum's."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 am

As horrifying as it is, I do have sympathy for mothers in that situation. Probably a serious case of post-partum depression. There but for the grace of god, and all.

I could be wrong, but I doubt she'll see jail time. Some hard decisions regarding the welfare of the baby are required now, though. Can't imagine they'd be returning him to his mother's custody any time soon.

PTID, completely agree with your view on the "sanctity of the family" being used erroneously to justify a user-pays model. As a child of home-schooling, it's an attitude I've experienced at closer range than most, and I can definitely see how it can be employed to make essential government services seem like an optional extra.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:52 am

Since when is depression a defence for attempted murder? I'm so $£$%^%%$ sick of pandering to murderous women. This filth could've dropped the kid off outside a police station, a hospital or a fire station. Put the kid up for adoption immediately after birth or booked herself into a hospital and the child would've been looked after. She's left it down a $£$%^%%$ drain to starve to death for 5 days.

They put down dogs for less, and that would be too good for her.

If a depressed dad did this he'd be put away for life and probably offed in jail. Instead we get borderline psychopath feminist commentators defending this %$^%$£$%. **** this world.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 am

I think this might go some way to explaining the legal status quo on this issue:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-m-appel/when-infanticide-isnt-mur_b_279703.html

Quote:
The reason that most advanced nations provide lesser penalties for infanticide than murder is that none of the traditional, widely-accepted justifications for punishment apply to these cases. Long prison sentences are highly unlikely to deter such acts, because these deaths are rarely plotted by rational or reflective minds. The vindication of the victim's survivors, frequently cited as a justification for draconian sentences for violent offenders, makes no sense when the closest survivors are the relatives of the perpetrator. More often than not, it is the deceased infant's father who pleads for his wife's freedom, and who suffers additional anguish as she is tried and imprisoned.

Even for those who believe in retribution, surely the loss of a child, and the ensuing guilt, must be punishment enough for any mother. Our penal system has long recognized that different varieties of killing entail distinct degrees of culpability. Some killings are not viewed as morally reprehensible at all: shooting an armed prowler, defending the nation in wartime. We treat vehicular homicide differently from acts of terrorism. Fatally injuring an opponent in a bar fight is a grave offense, but does not merit the same opprobrium as poisoning your grandmother for the insurance money. On a continuum of killings, maternal infanticide surely ranks with the most pardonable offenses.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am

The mother has been charged with attempted murder.

Far too easy for a murderer to claim 'temporary insanity' when they don't even have to come up with the excuse themselves, they've got people climbing over each other to let them off the hook.

There is also a fair difference between a woman who smothers their child during a psychotic break and one who travels to a quiet, remote location, dumps their child down a drain then leaves them there for 5 days without telling anyone (and he was only found by chance, she NEVER told anyone).

I can have some sympathy towards mothers who dump thier babies at hospitals, churches or somewhere they're going to be found. I also want to know how or why this woman's family, friends or the babies father never came forward or reported the baby missing or anything. Anyone who knew and did nothing should be charged as well.

Why do we so devalue the lives of our most vulnerable that we give a pass to murderous mothers because of mental illness? Like I said, any other mentally ill murderer gets put away for a long, long time, even when there is proof of diminished capacity.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am

Wokko wrote:
Why do we so devalue the lives of our most vulnerable that we give a pass to murderous mothers because of mental illness? Like I said, any other mentally ill murderer gets put away for a long, long time, even when there is proof of diminished capacity.

My guess is you haven't quite expressed that right. Mental illness is mental illness; you can't "blame" someone for having it in the same way you might want to blame a drunk driver for getting behind a wheel.

Are you sure you don't mean you're skeptical of claims of mental illness? If, say, we could demonstrate brain damage in some solid scientific way would you accept that? Demonstrable mental illness could easily be behind those actions.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 am

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

My guess is you haven't quite expressed that right. Mental illness is mental illness; you can't "blame" someone for having it in the same way you might want to blame a drunk driver for getting behind a wheel.

Are you sure you don't mean you're skeptical of claims of mental illness? If, say, we could demonstrate brain damage in some solid scientific way would you accept that? Demonstrable mental illness could easily be behind those actions.

If someone is so batshit insane they think they're a Fish God who is tasked with depopulating the earth and they kill someone then sure, Not Guilty due to insanity and off to the loony bin with you.

A woman who kills her child can just say "I have post natal depression, feel sorry for me and not the child I murdered" and they, if not get away with it then get off very, very lightly. They also have hordes of supporters backing them up and making sure they get off.

So yes, I guess you're right, but it still doesn't sit right with me that someone can kill and be 'not responsible' when they're able to live in a normally functional way before and after said action. I also think that there is a huge difference between a psychotic break and an obviously premeditated action like has happened in the last few days.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Yep same goes for men who snap and beat their wife and children. Mental illness I believe in, but I also believe in knowing right from wrong. Right is realising you can't cope, and leaving the baby on hospital steps, wrong is dumping it down a drain like a peice of rubbish.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:16 pm

David wrote:
As horrifying as it is, I do have sympathy for mothers in that situation. Probably a serious case of post-partum depression. There but for the grace of god, and all..

Make a note of this David - I agree with you.

I'd want to have access to a lot more information than a news report before I decided to lock this person away, much as I have issues with the behaviour.

People in irrational situations don't always make rational decisions. There but for the grace of god etc etc.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Wokko wrote:
A woman who kills her child can just say "I have post natal depression, feel sorry for me and not the child I murdered" and they, if not get away with it then get off very, very lightly. They also have hordes of supporters backing them up and making sure they get off.

Perhaps this is a bit simplistic, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would do something like this unless they were not in their right mind.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2078030,00.html

Two seconds in google.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:12 pm

You think they were sane? Shocked
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Perhaps this is a bit simplistic, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would do something like this unless they were not in their right mind.

Careful with that line of thinking. The same probably goes very every mass murderer, serial-killer and terrorist that ever committed an atrocity, doesn't it? We find it difficult to imagine how any of them could be sane and do the awful things they do.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

David wrote:
You think they were sane? Shocked

No more or less than any other thrill or serial killer. Like I said, unless you're out of this world crazy then I don't think these diminshed capacity or temporary insanity cases should do anything more than mitigate sentencing. We don't even allow psychological and emotional provocation as a defence anymore, and if you've ever had someone push you 'over the edge' you know that you're not your usual, rational self in these instances either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: