Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Football, Cricket and TV

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stinger 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Really John Wren?

T20 Big Bash has growing support. It's the 50 over game that is suffering. And shield cricket has never had a huge following crowd wise but is certainly well supported by the players as a stepping stone to rep sides.

The problem this year is the World Cup. Aussie crowds just aren't up for 50 over cricket before the Test Series. We are creatures of habit and the timing of the South Africa series just doesn't sit right with the average punter.

You wait and watch the swell of support for the English ODIs and World Cup. Plus throw an Indian Test series and the rest of the summer is very tasty.

Then bring on the Pies in 2015!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 pm

John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
There's also way too much cricket, much which means very little, what with one dayers, 20/20, and that 'club' 20/20 rubbish. Corporate greed kills sport, just as it does music.

agreed, there is so much meaningless cricket.

for me, the advent of the ipl triggered the beginning of the decline in cricket as i knew and liked it. we have also seen a big decline in interest of the state based level and only the diehards would know what was going on. perhaps it could just be we are getting older and our interests are now diverted.

on friday, i preferred to watch a game of soccer rather than the cricket. i never thought this would happen to me. i used to watch every game but now can no longer give a stuff about our national team.

I can understand preferring to watch a game of soccer rather than having your prostate tattooed with an icepick, or watching a chick flick but even the dullest most boring game of cricket is better than soccer.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Stinger wrote:
Really John Wren?

T20 Big Bash has growing support. It's the 50 over game that is suffering. And shield cricket has never had a huge following crowd wise but is certainly well supported by the players as a stepping stone to rep sides.

The problem this year is the World Cup. Aussie crowds just aren't up for 50 over cricket before the Test Series. We are creatures of habit and the timing of the South Africa series just doesn't sit right with the average punter.

You wait and watch the swell of support for the English ODIs and World Cup. Plus throw an Indian Test series and the rest of the summer is very tasty.

Exactly, its very early in the season, usually these meaningless games are played at lesser venues, the MCG already has plenty more interesting games to come this year, plus its November, even the Big Bash doesn't really start drawing until in January, that's when people start caring about cricket, the Tests are over and everyone is on holidays.

Another factor is these days there is a lot more junior cricket played on Friday nights, in our comp everyone from the 5 year old playing In2Cricket right up to U/12s are all Friday nights, there goes your families attending. Also other competitions have the older kids playing Friday night, so its not really a suitable day for families anymore as their kids own cricket takes precedence. In January the normal time for ODIs its not an issue as they are all off.

Plus plenty will have already spent their budget for the season trying to secure tickets to the big World Cup games anyway so why spend another fortune to watch South Africa in November?

Will cricket still be struggling when 90,000+ are at the MCG in March?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Stinger wrote:
Really John Wren?

i think i am just getting old. Sad

i find it dull watching international t20 and odis. having said that i did buy a ticket for the final at the g. we're about 3 months out from the world cup and waiting to see how the interest builds.

even though i couldn't care less for the national team i love test cricket and i will happily watch from start to finish.

the bigbash at least has a points table attached to it and a greater sense of tribalism than the other forms of the game.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
There's also way too much cricket, much which means very little, what with one dayers, 20/20, and that 'club' 20/20 rubbish. Corporate greed kills sport, just as it does music.

for me, the advent of the ipl triggered the beginning of the decline in cricket as i knew and liked it. we have also seen a big decline in interest of the state based level and only the diehards would know what was going on. perhaps it could just be we are getting older and our interests are now diverted.

on friday, i preferred to watch a game of soccer rather than the cricket. i never thought this would happen to me. i used to watch every game but now can no longer give a stuff about our national team.

I can understand preferring to watch a game of soccer rather than having your prostate tattooed with an icepick, or watching a chick flick but even the dullest most boring game of cricket is better than soccer.

i used to have this mindset too but lately i have been enjoying the a-league as my foray into this game.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:06 am

ODI Cricket is a joke and rigged, teams get fined if they finish early, TV hates it when it's not finished on time. don't watch it. (or soccer)
Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:21 am

John Wren wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Really John Wren?

i think i am just getting old. Sad

i find it dull watching international t20 and odis. having said that i did buy a ticket for the final at the g. we're about 3 months out from the world cup and waiting to see how the interest builds.

even though i couldn't care less for the national team i love test cricket and i will happily watch from start to finish.

the bigbash at least has a points table attached to it and a greater sense of tribalism than the other forms of the game.

I love the Test Matches too. Should be interesting against the Indians sans Tendulkar.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Hear hear.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm

T20 has produced cricketers like Glenn Maxwell.
This is killing cricket........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 pm

King Monkey wrote:
T20 has produced cricketers like Glenn Maxwell.
This is killing cricket........

And over the top commentators like James Brayshaw, who cannot say "the big show" enough times when Maxwell is batting.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Oh shit, don't get me started on the crap they're calling "commentary" at the moment from Brayshaw, Healy, Slater...........
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Because Cricket can be boring to Watch and I dare say the Prices for Ticket will be way to much
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

20/20 is more exciting and Cricket is better watch on TV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: