Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report: Day 1 (photos added)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm
Post subject: Training report: Day 1 (photos added)Reply with quote

It was a sensational day for the first, full-list training session this morning.

Players entered the arena at 9:50. Jack Crisp was the first player out. He looks the prototype centreman. He also looks like he could step out of training and onto the catwalk; if he’s any good, expect to see him used as a face of the club.

Firstly, a note on who didn’t train. Travis Cloke was second onto the track after Jack Crisp, but disappeared on a long walk along the river with the Club’s psychologist. They returned after about 40 minutes and walked laps chatting.

Macaffer and Sharenberg walked laps with occasional gentle jogs. Caff was eyeing the training enviously and kept wanting to pick up a ball every time he passed one. The guy is hungry!

A few other players didn’t join general training drills, but instead ran timed laps and 100 metre sprints. In one group were Dane Swan, Josh Thomas and Dwyer. In the other group were Pendlebury, Jon Marsh and Witts.

The Pendlebury group mainly ran timed laps. I felt sorry for Witts and Marsh as Pendles won every single time by a good margin. Witts was second and Marsh last every time. Later Toovey and Blair joined this group and the finishing order was pretty consistent; Pendles by 30, Blair second, Toovey third, Witts close behind and Marsh last by at least 50 metres every, single time. Later Nathan Brown joined this group and Marsh still finished last. Marsh has no tank, even Witts beat him in every drill.

The main group started with 50 metre runs at jogging pace, followed by stretching. Next the players broke into groups of 3 and did sharp kicking practise.

Next, groups of 6 were matched against the coaches and were instructed to do silent drills; the instruction was no talking. This was like a touch-footy drill with no kicking.

Next the groups of six were again matched against the coaches who were acting as ‘the pressure’ forcing the players to work in close and free the ball to a teammate. Nathan Freeman, Darcy Moore and Adam Oxley worked really well.

More 50 metre runs followed for the whole group. Every 15 minutes or so the players were sent over to a Collingwood igloo tent for drinks.

A few observations to this point: Nathan Freeman and Darcy Moore were prominent. Travis Varcoe’s kicking looked terrific. Taylor Adams, Seedsman and Jack Crisp got plenty of the ball, but didn't always use it well. Levi Greenwood kept getting placed at the Yarra end, so I didn't really get to see much of him.

Next up a game-style drill where players were pitted against the coaches. This was a defensive drill where the coaches tried to force turnovers and then score. Prominent in this drill was Nathan Buckley, whose kicking was elite. In fact, it was very noticeable that when the ball was turned over by the players, the coaches were able to rebound with beautiful, precise kicking.

Speaking of kicking, Mason Cox trained the house down and every time he got the ball delivered to a teammate. During the drill against the coaches he was pinpointed a few times and raced unopposed through the middle; he didn’t want to handball or kick on his left, but at least he delivered effectively. This boy is a natural athlete and it will be interesting to see if he can adapt.

Next the players were divided into black vs yellow teams. Play began on the half forward flank at a stoppage. At the ball up, the yellow team of Adams, Ben Kennedy, Crisp, Williams, Seedsman were pitted against Broomhead, Freeman, Varcoe and Fasolo. When the yellow team won the ball and kicked towards their forward line, if it wasn’t turned over by poor disposal, it was easily mopped up by Frost and Moore. Frost was defending Grundy and Moore was against Rocca. The black team murdered the yellows in this game and kicked goals at will with Corey Gault and Karnezis getting plenty of it. Levi Greenwood and Elliott didn't join in the match drills and instead ran a few laps. Witch's hats were placed at 50 metre intervals around the perimeter and the players jogged 50, ran hard for 50 and then jogged again.

It was a pretty long session, with the players drifting off at about 11:30.

Who shone? Apart from Nathan Buckley, who was BOG, other players we noted were Freeman, Oxley, Moore, Broomhead, Ramsay, Gault and Fasolo. Bucks and Fasolo exited the arena arm in arm.

Now I know it was only day one of a long pre-season and I wasn’t expecting to say this, but Darcy Moore looks as if he could walk straight into the team. Everything he did was polished. His skills in close look to be terrific and his decision making stood out. It’s the first time I’ve seen him, but he looks the goods. I reckon we might see Darcy get a few games in 2015.

One more thing, Broomhead was caught smiling a couple of times!

**Photos added via link below. Didn't realise I could add video......next time!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98725876@N02/with/15204964743

Last edited by Neil Appleby on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very much appreciated, great to hear it. Great effort.
This is why I like Nicks.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 pm
Post subject: Re: TRAINING REPORT: Day 1Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:

The Pendlebury group mainly ran timed laps. I felt sorry for Witts and Marsh as Pendles won every single time by a good margin. Witts was second and Marsh last every time. Later Toovey and Blair joined this group and the finishing order was pretty consistent; Pendles by 30, Blair second, Toovey third, Witts close behind and Marsh last by at least 50 metres every, single time. Later Nathan Brown joined this group and Marsh still finished last. Marsh has no tank, even Witts beat him in every drill.

Is Marsh injured or coming back from injury? I was of the opinion that this guy was super quick but at times a poor decision maker and poor at times by foot. I was under the impression it was his X Factor and speed that got him to the club.

Also, thanks for the write up. We are all a little football starved at this point of the proceedings.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:02 pm
Post subject: Re: TRAINING REPORT: Day 1Reply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Is Marsh injured or coming back from injury? I was of the opinion that this guy was super quick but at times a poor decision maker and poor at times by foot. I was under the impression it was his X Factor and speed that got him to the club.

Also, thanks for the write up. We are all a little football starved at this point of the proceedings.

Marsh is super fast, but Neil's report suggests he tires quickly and lacks aerobic fitness. Remember, he's coming off a hamstring injury, so maybe is not fully recovered just yet. He's got a full pre-season to get match fit.

Anyway, thanks Neil, for such a thorough and informative report.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:08 pm

Great post.
Thanks Neil.
Beast 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks for the excellent write up.

Great to hear Fas was prominent, he'll shine this year injuries permitting.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks Again Mate
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Quote:
Next the players were divided into black vs yellow teams. Play began on the half forward flank at a stoppage. At the ball up, the yellow team of Adams, Ben Kennedy, Crisp, Williams, Seedsman were pitted against Broomhead, Freeman, Varcoe and Fasolo. When the yellow team won the ball and kicked towards their forward line, if it wasn’t turned over by poor disposal, it was easily mopped up by Frost and Moore. Frost was defending Grundy and Moore was against Rocca. The black team murdered the yellows in this game and kicked goals at will with Corey Gault and Karnezis getting plenty of it. Levi Greenwood and Elliott didn't join in the match drills and instead ran a few laps. Witch's hats were placed at 50 metre intervals around the perimeter and the players jogged 50, ran hard for 50 and then jogged again.

So they used Moore as a Defender then?

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes Dave, Moore was full back playing on our new full forward Anthony Rocca.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm

So with Buckley back in the mid-field and Rocca at CHF, does that solve most of the selection problems?
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks Neil
How hot was it?

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Awesome report, man I miss Bucks playing what a legend.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Yes Dave, Moore was full back playing on our new full forward Anthony Rocca.

That would be a Size MisMatch Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks for the report Neil and great photos as well. A few questions that I'm wondering if you could answer for me is:

1). After a season of being injury-riddled how is Dane Swan tracking along on the training track? Does he look fit and firing or is he still a fair way off from returning to full fitness?

2). It's great to hear that Macaffer is recovering well and determined to get back into full fitness, but how's Matty Scharenberg going with his recovery as well? I would assume he's at the same stage as Macaffer in terms of recovery as both of them sustained ACL injuries approximately around the same time as each other.

3). Is Jonathan Marsh's lack of endurance a concern? Did it hinder him for the whole training session or just during running laps?

Great to hear that the likes of Freeman, Moore and Cox are training the house down! Very Happy

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:26 pm

I would have thought Marsh would have been advised not to run too hard after his serious hamstring issues a couple of months ago? I remember watching Paddy K last year at pre season & they had him running very slow laps compared to the others. Had OP groin issues so was being nursed. I would think Marsh would do well to not be pushing things too hard in November. Didn't look much wrong with his tank last year. Just precautionary at this time of year I reckon.
Thanks for the report & pics Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: