Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It aint unusual

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 am
Post subject: It aint unusualReply with quote

Pre season injuries that disturb us
The club Mr.Varcoe came from has
Steve J , Mitch Clark & Nat.Vardy all
with disruptive pre season injuries
Add to that Lincoln McCarthy
All are leg related --feet/calfs/knee
Not that I give a toss but Pies are not
unusual with pre season hiccups[/b][/quote]

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted we have 15 (yes that is 15) on either modified programs or injured.

So while you are right all clubs have injury problems ours seem an epidemic over the last 3 years.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 am

Sorry I was not aware that was our
situation and as you point out our
injury problems go back as well as
to the future.
Thanks for the update

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:40 am

It may well be that we have 15 on modified programs but that says more about the year from hell we had in 2014 than this preseason. Most of those guys would be recovering from post season surgeries and most clubs would have a number of these guys.

As it stands we've had Cox (finger), Reid (calf), Broomy (hammy tightness), White (ankle), Thomas (finger), Tooves (???).... any others? And none of them are season ending or likely to impact the 2015 season. Reid is obviously the most concerning but again it's a carry over of his 2014 injury issues.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52 am

jackcass wrote:
It may well be that we have 15 on modified programs but that says more about the year from hell we had in 2014 than this preseason. Most of those guys would be recovering from post season surgeries and most clubs would have a number of these guys.

As it stands we've had Cox (finger), Reid (calf), Broomy (hammy tightness), White (ankle), Thomas (finger), Tooves (???).... any others? And none of them are season ending or likely to impact the 2015 season. Reid is obviously the most concerning but again it's a carry over of his 2014 injury issues.

Shazza and Caff - Knee

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Shazza and Caff - Knee

Whist these will certainly have an impact on 2015 they were injuries sustained at the very end of the 2014 season. The big question with both of these players is if they get a run in 2015 and their fitness at that point in time. Traditional knee reconstructions are normally a 12 month injury but both seem be be tracking ahead of schedule so far by all reports.

The other thing with both injuries that really cannot be much of a reflection on training and fitness the same as soft tissue injures traditionally are.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Shazza and Caff - Knee

2014 season
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Shazza and Caff - Knee

Whist these will certainly have an impact on 2015 they were injuries sustained at the very end of the 2014 season. The big question with both of these players is if they get a run in 2015 and their fitness at that point in time. Traditional knee reconstructions are normally a 12 month injury but both seem be be tracking ahead of schedule so far by all reports.

The other thing with both injuries that really cannot be much of a reflection on training and fitness the same as soft tissue injures traditionally are.

On a slight tangent I found it interesting listening to the cricket on the ABC (can't even recall who the guest was) when they were talkiing about fast bowler rotations. They predict a higher likelihood of injury by monitoring the workload of the bowlers and based on their individual injury histories. They predict bowler X is more likely to suffer an injury after he's bowled 50 (random guess) overs so they choose to rest him thus managing the risk. Obviously that would be tempered by the timeframe insomuch as 50 overs in 1-2 weeks has a higher risk than 50 overs in 5 weeks.

Made me wonder if AFL clubs should give greater credence to rotations and/or resting players. Possibly even set a cap of say 18-20 (random arbitrary guess) H&A games per player. I know the byes in part have been implemented to give players that sort of break but this could enable the byes to be taken out of the draw and achieve the same outcome.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:18 pm

jackcass wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Shazza and Caff - Knee

On a slight tangent I found it interesting listening to the cricket on the ABC (can't even recall who the guest was) when they were talkiing about fast bowler rotations. They predict a higher likelihood of injury by monitoring the workload of the bowlers and based on their individual injury histories. They predict bowler X is more likely to suffer an injury after he's bowled 50 (random guess) overs so they choose to rest him thus managing the risk. Obviously that would be tempered by the timeframe insomuch as 50 overs in 1-2 weeks has a higher risk than 50 overs in 5 weeks.

Made me wonder if AFL clubs should give greater credence to rotations and/or resting players. Possibly even set a cap of say 18-20 (random arbitrary guess) H&A games per player. I know the byes in part have been implemented to give players that sort of break but this could enable the byes to be taken out of the draw and achieve the same outcome.

I hear what you are saying and don’t necessarily disagree with you on this occasion. However the problem is that the intense competitive nature to win AFL games at all costs will mean star players "rested" only against the 2-3 bottom of the ladder teams. This in turn can lead to real boilovers and shock losses with the bottom team playing out of their skins to beat the seemingly "arrogant" other team.
I think the “play your best and strongest possible team at all times” concept is still the way to go despite the obvious risk of injuries.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Current injury list according to the club website.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/injury-list

Quote:
On 12 January, Director of Football Neil Balme provided an update on the injury status of the following players.

Dane Swan
"Dane is training very well. He had a fair bit of surgery in the off season. We are working him in a position of fitness so that he can play when the season commences. He is training every day and working very hard. We are very pleased where he is at the minute."

Ben Reid
"Ben is on his way back now after receiving treatment in Germany for the last week. All the reports are that we are expecting a pretty good outcome from the trip. We won't be able to tell until he comes back.We always thought it was a relatively minor injury in itself and that he had a few other soft tissue injuries that we thought we might have look to see if there were any systemic problems. He should be flying when he comes back."

Scott Pendlebury

"Pendlebury is training very well. Scotty he is coming off some surgery on his shoulder. He is actually fine, he just isn't doing full contact training."

Brent Macaffer and Matthew Scharenberg
"Brent and Matthew have had ACL reconstructions. Most of the rehab is having the patience to get through it. Both are progressing and training well. We can't put a time on when they will play but certainly we expect both to have an impact this year."

Alan Toovey
"Alan had a slight strain to his calf over Christmas. He was running today so we are pretty happy that he will recover quickly."

Darcy Moore
"Darcy has a sore big toe and given that he is a first-year player, we have put him in a moon boot for three weeks. The doctors had a look at it today and it is settling very well."

Jesse White
"Jesse rolled his ankle at training today and had an MRI. He received a medium grade sprain and will likely miss the next three weeks of regular training."

Magpiebill 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:19 pm

If 2015 was to go like last season on the injury front then I suggest the club employs a vet from the VRC to do his work. It might be more humane just to put up a big screen and shoot them. Wink

I must say those last few games of the year were beyond belief the number of serious injuries we picked up. It can't happen again. Can it? Confused Shocked

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:00 pm

jackcass wrote:

Greenwood old injury that Norths medicos had under control has since flared up under our training regime.

Look people get injured and many clubs have issues Hawks WC etc are other teams over the last few years who injuries mounted for.

Reids injury wasn't carry over it was a new one.

I'd need to find the post but you are right quite a few would be recovering from a 2014 injury but there are also a lot of new ones.

Still we don't have a fresh and fit list going into 15.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 pm

loki04 wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Greenwood old injury that Norths medicos had under control has since flared up under our training regime.

Look people get injured and many clubs have issues Hawks WC etc are other teams over the last few years who injuries mounted for.

Reids injury wasn't carry over it was a new one.

I'd need to find the post but you are right quite a few would be recovering from a 2014 injury but there are also a lot of new ones.

Still we don't have a fresh and fit list going into 15.

I missed Moore (toe). Greenwood hasn't been listed by the club so he's speculative. Reid you could make a case for either preseason or continuation of 2014 issues but I'd included him. As I said, rest are carry over 2014 rehabs. I still don't think its a concern and I doubt any club goes into a season absolutely cherry ripe any more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: