Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood 1970 - 1993 v Collingwood 1994 to 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing the point. You're imagining the 1970-93 squad as they were rather than as they would be if born in the modern era, exposed to exactly the same environmental and training opportunities. They'd be taller, they'd be heavier, they'd be fitter, they'd be faster.

All that said though, players with exquisite skills would still have exquisite skills. Carmen, Greening, and Daicos were absolute freaks, they still would be. The Price, McGuane, Millane and Russell types would all still be very good footballers.

It'd be a lot closer than you think and I still think the 1970-93 squad has more talent across the 22.[/quote]

Yes Jackass, you’re probably right, I am missing the point a little bit. If so it is slightly intentional. As I say there is very little ground for a fair comparison. I absolutely agree, we had some wonderful players in the seventies – and how we came out of that decade without a flag to our name must remain a mystery. However we can only assess those players on how they actually played then and there, not how they might have played had they been born thirty years later, because we simply don’t know. Would their silky skills have come to the fore in today’s game which is a lot quicker? Who knows. The one skill I would like to take into today is Peter McKenna’s accuracy in kicking for goal. I reckon he could teach mr. Cloke a thing or two.
Anyhow I’m kind of glad you disagree with me, it makes for a more lively discussion, and after all it is fascinating to think back to our heroes of times gone by.
Floreat Pica

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 pm

[/QUOTE] SuperSwede"]I think you're missing the point. You're imagining the 1970-93 squad as they were rather than as they would be if born in the modern era, exposed to exactly the same environmental and training opportunities. They'd be taller, they'd be heavier, they'd be fitter, they'd be faster.

All that said though, players with exquisite skills would still have exquisite skills. Carmen, Greening, and Daicos were absolute freaks, they still would be. The Price, McGuane, Millane and Russell types would all still be very good footballers.

It'd be a lot closer than you think and I still think the 1970-93 squad has more talent across the 22.[/quote]

Yes Jackass, you’re probably right, I am missing the point a little bit. If so it is slightly intentional. As I say there is very little ground for a fair comparison. I absolutely agree, we had some wonderful players in the seventies – and how we came out of that decade without a flag to our name must remain a mystery. However we can only assess those players on how they actually played then and there, not how they might have played had they been born thirty years later, because we simply don’t know. Would their silky skills have come to the fore in today’s game which is a lot quicker? Who knows. The one skill I would like to take into today is Peter McKenna’s accuracy in kicking for goal. I reckon he could teach mr. Cloke a thing or two.
Anyhow I’m kind of glad you disagree with me, it makes for a more lively discussion, and after all it is fascinating to think back to our heroes of times gone by.
Floreat Pica[/quote]

Yep, I've the watched the 1990 GF a million times and a few times recently, damn that was a tough game, you didn't get a kick without being put on your ass along with the king hits etc etc.

Not sure the players of today could handle that kind of pressure, some would obviously but many wouldn't.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robbie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm
Post subject: What Point are You MakingReply with quote

I must be a little older than you although I am still at a loss as to what point you're trying to make. The late 60's and all of the 70's were full of great players, and Len Thompson stands out in that great company however; regardless of the worth of the players and coach we always came up short.

Although heart breaking, us Magpie supporters were there or there abouts in more years than not. Our adversaries will delight in reciting the fact that Collingwood has lost more finals than any other team, and yet those same weak individuals find it impossible to acknowledge the Mighty Magpies have played in more Grand Finals than any other team. Get with the strength and Go Pies!

uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks posters for the feedback on these teams.
I've enjoyed reading your insights and the debate about the merits of the players and which team would win.
Based on this I offer these revised teams, with some comments about the changes

Collingwood team: 1970 to 1993

FB Stan Magro Gary Pert Mark Williams
HB Gavin Crocisca Bill Picken Shane Morwood
C Darren Millane Barry Price Graham Wright
HF Peter Daicos Phil Carman Gavin Brown
FF Peter Moore Peter McKenna Des Tuddenham
R Len Thompson Mick McGuane John Greening
I Wayne Richardson Tony Francis Scott Russell
Tony Shaw

Price and Tuddy were must inclusions. Wright comes into this side from the later one. Though his career spanned both eras, his best work was done prior to 94. Scott Russell also comes in to the 22. Monky made way for him because the side has two ruckmen in Moore and big Len. Pert for Worthington is a fair call. Couldn't find a spot for Ricky Barham ahead of pants, rowdy or Graham Wright.

Collingwood team: 1994 to 2014

FB Heath Shaw Simon Prestigiacomo Nick Maxwell
HB Scott Burns James Clement Leon Davis
C Steele Sidebottom Dane Swan Chris Tarrant
HF Alan Didak Anthony Rocca Paul Williams
FF Ben Reid Travis Cloke Dale Thomas
R Darren Jolly Nathan Buckley Scott Pendlebury
I Josh Fraser Dayne Beams Saverio Rocca
Andrew Krakoeur

Leon moves to the backline and Daisy takes his place up forward. Reid for Leigh Brown was called for by a few. No argument in terms of pure ability but Browny was hard to take out because of his wrecking ball factor. Something the team lacks now. For similar reasons I had trouble taking Maxy out. He stays though because of his leadership and how he stood up in the biggest games. Sidey takes Wright's spot who moved to the other team. Licca made way for Beamer. Found this change hard to make but Beamer's superior ability to kick clutch goals won the day. Krak shaded out Elliott for a spot. Couldn't include Harry because he failed in a few big finals. The 2010 draw and 2011 gf come to mind.

I think these changes take on board not all, but most of your suggestions.

Now I am going to try to pick the best magpie side post 1970 from these teams. It's going to take a while. Your thoughts on who should get a game and why are welcome here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood 1970 - 1993 v Collingwood 1994 to 2014Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Interesting to note the change in body shape and size between the eras. Thought about players like McKormick, Phillips, and McKeon for FB and they're all <190cm.

Would be a fantastic game if you could orchestrate the players at their peak. Team 1 would win.

Yeah, that would be the big advantage team 2 has, the height and size of the KPP. Poor Bustling Billy wouldn't know WTF he was up against on Rocca, and worthingtons only hope on Cloke would be to knock him out.

Otherwise, Yeah I'd pay good coin to watch that game.

I guess those players were considered tall in their day and you'd imagine that if born in the modern era they'd still be tall so could conceivably be 193-195, Thomo probably still small v modern rucks but still 198ish.

And you'd have to wonder if bustling Billy ever knew WTF he was up against.

great call. here comes Billy. Laughing
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Defender wrote:
Peter Moore anyone? Dude won a Brownlow as a ruck-fwd, surely he gets that role in the pre 93 side.

Already named in the forward pocket.
TheJonesBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:01 am

uncanny wrote:

Leon moves to the backline and Daisy takes his place up forward. Reid for Leigh Brown was called for by a few. No argument in terms of pure ability but Browny was hard to take out because of his wrecking ball factor. Something the team lacks now. For similar reasons I had trouble taking Maxy out. He stays though because of his leadership and how he stood up in the biggest games. Sidey takes Wright's spot who moved to the other team. Licca made way for Beamer. Found this change hard to make but Beamer's superior ability to kick clutch goals won the day. Krak shaded out Elliott for a spot. Couldn't include Harry because he failed in a few big finals. The 2010 draw and 2011 gf come to mind.

Now I am going to try to pick the best magpie side post 1970 from these teams. It's going to take a while. Your thoughts on who should get a game and why are welcome here.

Hmm, couldn't include Harry for his failures in big Finals...yet selects Leon?
Ok.
Harry's game in the 2010 Replay > any final Leon played EVER!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:07 am

TheJonesBoy wrote:
uncanny wrote:

Ok.

Still gotta get there though, without Leon we wouldn't have made the 2011 GF.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:36 pm

TheJonesBoy wrote:
uncanny wrote:

Ok.

Leon played some fantastic finals, just couldn't seem to fire in GFs.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:03 pm

This team would go alright I reckon. What do you think?

Collingwood team: 1970 to 2014

HB Scott Burns James Clement Shane Morwood
C Darren Millane Dane Swan Graham Wright
HF Peter Daicos Anthony Rocca Gavin Brown
R Len Thompson Nathan Buckley Scott Pendlebury
Tony Shaw

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Now for the coach.

1 Matthews
2 Malthouse
3 Hafey
4 Rose
5 Cahill
6 Mann
7 Erwin
8 Richards
9 Buckley
10 Shaw
11 Weideman
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 pm

I suspect our 2016 Premiership side would beat both teams. Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 pm

uncanny wrote:

Tony Shaw

Greening over Tony Shaw. Shaw was a great captain and as tough as they came but a good ordinary player in reality. Greening is in my top 5 Collingwood players seen, an absolute freak, and was a childhood favorite. I had 22 on my childhood jumper and it definitely wasn't for Tony Shaw.

Pert over Presti. While I love Presti, Pert offered so much more than just a capacity to lock down an opponent, even though he was past his best when he got to the Pies.

Carmen over Rocca. Loved Pebbles but Carmen is in my top 5 all time Collingwood players seen, man was a freak.

Crosisca over Maxwell. Tough call but Crosisca is a favorite. Also a bit quicker and better skills. Side doesn't lack for the main ingredient Maxy brought, leadership.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:16 pm

uncanny wrote:

Tony Shaw

You've left out 2 of the best players of all time - Greening and Carman. Shame on you Embarassed
uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:58 pm

jackcass wrote:
uncanny wrote:

Tony Shaw

Greening over Tony Shaw. Shaw was a great captain and as tough as they came but a good ordinary player in reality. Greening is in my top 5 Collingwood players seen, an absolute freak, and was a childhood favorite. I had 22 on my childhood jumper and it definitely wasn't for Tony Shaw.

Pert over Presti. While I love Presti, Pert offered so much more than just a capacity to lock down an opponent, even though he was past his best when he got to the Pies.

Carmen over Rocca. Loved Pebbles but Carmen is in my top 5 all time Collingwood players seen, man was a freak.

Crosisca over Maxwell. Tough call but Crosisca is a favorite. Also a bit quicker and better skills. Side doesn't lack for the main ingredient Maxy brought, leadership.

Very astute comment as usual Jackcass
Thoughts echoed by the Rude Boy in the case of Fabulous Phil and Johnny Greening. ouch about the shame in leaving these boys out...
I had been swayed by output over a longer period of time over pure ability.
This made me give the nod to A Rocca over Carman and A Shaw over Greening. Big Tony really did produce the goods in 02 and along with Bucks was desperately unlucky not to drag his team over the line.
I accept that on pure ability these selections should be reversed.
I can't tip the second #22 out of the side though so he stays on the bench ahead of Tony Francis. Not as slick but his presence out there can't be denied for its importance to team success. Maxy makes way for Gav Crocisca. Agreed on the call on his superior ability. Gav was a more versatile player too. Spent a lot of time in the middle as well as his unforgettable display as chf in the 90 flag. Can only remember Maxy playing an offensive role in a big game in the 08 final in Adelaide. He is stiff to miss out though.
Pert v Presti? Agreed about Pert being better at his best but I can't pick him for what he did for Fitzroy so Presti stays...

FB Heath Shaw Simon Prestigiacomo Gavin Crocisca
HF Peter Daicos Phil Carman Gavin Brown
I Wayne Richardson John Greening Anthony Rocca
Tony Shaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: