Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood 1970 - 1993 v Collingwood 1994 to 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:47 am
Post subject: Re: Collingwood 1970 - 1993 v Collingwood 1994 to 2014Reply with quote

Collingwood team: 1970 to 1993

FB Stan Magro Kevin Worthington Robert Hyde
HB Gavin Crocisca Bill Picken Shane Morwood
C Darren Millane Tony Shaw Gavin Brown
HF Peter Daicos Phil Carman Mark Williams
FF Peter Moore Peter McKenna Ross Dunne
R Len Thompson Mick McGuane John Greening
I Wayne Richardson Tony Francis Damian Monkhurst
Ray Shaw

OUT: Worthington, Hyde, Dunne, T Shaw, Monkhurst, R Shaw
IN: Pert, Price, Russell, Wright, Tuddenham, Barham

Collingwood team: 1994 to 2014

FB Heath Shaw Simon Prestigiacomo Nick Maxwell
HB Scott Burns James Clement Ben Johnson
C Graham Wright Dane Swan Chris Tarrant
HF Alan Didak Anthony Rocca Paul Williams
FF Leigh Brown Travis Cloke Leon Davis
R Darren Jolly Nathan Buckley Scott Pendlebury
I Josh Fraser Paul Licuria Saverio Rocca
Jamie Elliott

OUT: Wright (wrong era), Brown, Licuria
IN: Beams, Sidebottom, Reid

Apologies to quite a few, like D Banks. Not saying the players I've omitted aren't good, just that I'd prefer to see others in the side.

Interesting to note the change in body shape and size between the eras. Thought about players like McKormick, Phillips, and McKeon for FB and they're all <190cm.

Would be a fantastic game if you could orchestrate the players at their peak. Team 1 would win.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuddy's team would smash Buck's team I'm afriad.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:41 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
About to say Scott Russel
His stats in premiership year --the most disposals for entire season

If he hadn't been a new, entirely unknown player, he would probably have won the Brownlow (even with Wrighty's efforts). He was quite unstoppable that season, both with the ball and when he didn't have it. Really, how do you play a 36 disposal game in the centre, kick 3 goals, repeatedly hit the forwards on the chest with your other kicks and not get a vote?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
barrybc41 wrote:
About to say Scott Russel
His stats in premiership year --the most disposals for entire season

If he hadn't been a new, entirely unknown player, he would probably have won the Brownlow (even with Wrighty's efforts). He was quite unstoppable that season, both with the ball and when he didn't have it. Really, how do you play a 36 disposal game in the centre, kick 3 goals, repeatedly hit the forwards on the chest with your other kicks and not get a vote?

Wrighty was robbed. He played a blinder in the wet Vs Hawks but they won on the last kick of the day and the scumpires gave the 3 votes to Dear who kicked the winning goal despite doing stuff all. Libba went on to win by a vote in a victory for the talentless.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:55 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood 1970 - 1993 v Collingwood 1994 to 2014Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:

Interesting to note the change in body shape and size between the eras. Thought about players like McKormick, Phillips, and McKeon for FB and they're all <190cm.

Would be a fantastic game if you could orchestrate the players at their peak. Team 1 would win.

Yeah, that would be the big advantage team 2 has, the height and size of the KPP. Poor Bustling Billy wouldn't know WTF he was up against on Rocca, and worthingtons only hope on Cloke would be to knock him out.

Otherwise, Yeah I'd pay good coin to watch that game.
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:57 am

Whilst it is always fascinating to compare athletes – or for that matter racehorses – of bygone eras to their counterparts of today, at the end of the day it is mostly a futile exercise. There is very little ground for a fair comparison. Much as we loved watching our heroes in the past the reality is often that today’s players are stronger and fitter and much better conditioned. This goes in almost all sports. E.g I don’t for a minute think that yesterday’s tennis heroes like Rod Laver or Björn Borg would have had any chance at all against the likes of Federer or Djokovic. Of course in terms of raw talent, whatever that boils down to, the heroes of yesterday might be right up there, but I suppose if Len Thompson or Phil Carman had played today they would have been different players.
Anyhow, my take is that our premiership team of 2010 – throw in a certain Nathan Buckley at the height of his powers – and they would have made the 1970 - 1993 team look second rate.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 am

SuperSwede wrote:
Whilst it is always fascinating to compare athletes – or for that matter racehorses – of bygone eras to their counterparts of today, at the end of the day it is mostly a futile exercise. There is very little ground for a fair comparison. Much as we loved watching our heroes in the past the reality is often that today’s players are stronger and fitter and much better conditioned. This goes in almost all sports. E.g I don’t for a minute think that yesterday’s tennis heroes like Rod Laver or Björn Borg would have had any chance at all against the likes of Federer or Djokovic. Of course in terms of raw talent, whatever that boils down to, the heroes of yesterday might be right up there, but I suppose if Len Thompson or Phil Carman had played today they would have been different players.
Anyhow, my take is that our premiership team of 2010 – throw in a certain Nathan Buckley at the height of his powers – and they would have made the 1970 - 1993 team look second rate.

Especially if they played the press! Could you imagine the game? Monkhorst wins the ruck contest and the 70-93 side boots it long to a contest. 2010 wins positon moves it forward using possession footy and kicks a goal. If 1970-93 ever did get possession, they would simply kick ot long to a contest until the 2010 side got the ball back and then played possession footy all the way back for another goal.

If by chance the 2010 team missed the goal, they would then put the press on in the forward 50. 1970-93 side would then kick it to a contest.....

You get the point.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:18 am

Leon would have jumped the fence with Magro in the side. Picken would have taken screamer after screamer on Rocca. Didak would have lasted 10 minutes on Pants. Twiggy MCkenna would have killed Presti on a lead and Dunne would have had a picnic on Maxy in the air.

The Greening/Buckley battle would have been something else. I wouldn't be able to walk without embarrassment for hours. Ask anyone over 55 how good Greening was before that StVomit dog act.

Phil Carman was as fit as just about anyone. Had he and Tuddy been allowed to dictate fitness it wouldn't be an issue. And Leigh Brown would get slaughtered in the ruck.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yeah, that would be the big advantage team 2 has, the height and size of the KPP. Poor Bustling Billy wouldn't know WTF he was up against on Rocca, and worthingtons only hope on Cloke would be to knock him out.

Otherwise, Yeah I'd pay good coin to watch that game.

I guess those players were considered tall in their day and you'd imagine that if born in the modern era they'd still be tall so could conceivably be 193-195, Thomo probably still small v modern rucks but still 198ish.

And you'd have to wonder if bustling Billy ever knew WTF he was up against.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 am

SuperSwede wrote:

I think you're missing the point. You're imagining the 1970-93 squad as they were rather than as they would be if born in the modern era, exposed to exactly the same environmental and training opportunities. They'd be taller, they'd be heavier, they'd be fitter, they'd be faster.

All that said though, players with exquisite skills would still have exquisite skills. Carmen, Greening, and Daicos were absolute freaks, they still would be. The Price, McGuane, Millane and Russell types would all still be very good footballers.

It'd be a lot closer than you think and I still think the 1970-93 squad has more talent across the 22.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am

Also, assuming that number 42 was allowed to play in this hypothetical match the way he generally played the game, there's no reason to think that Buckley would be standing upright long enough to touch the ball.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 am

When was this exactly?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Also, assuming that number 42 was allowed to play in this hypothetical match the way he generally played the game, there's no reason to think that Buckley would be standing upright long enough to touch the ball.

Yeah, see how he survives a Tuddy-Pants or Tuddy-Magro sandwich.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:14 pm

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yeah, see how he survives a Tuddy-Pants or Tuddy-Magro sandwich.

A Stan-Pants sandwich? I'm hurting just thinking about it. Laughing
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Peter Moore anyone? Dude won a Brownlow as a ruck-fwd, surely he gets that role in the pre 93 side.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: