Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The short and tall of our midfielders

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:41 pm
Post subject: The short and tall of our midfieldersReply with quote

Much has been said of our supposed over abundance of dwarfs and lack of height amongst our midfield group. I've just done a check and I think this has been somewhat overstated. Considering 180 cms is around 5' 11" and 182 cms is around 6 foot, I think we can only classify 'short' players as those under 180 cms. Here, I've listed our current potential senior midfielders from tallest to shortest. I haven't listed Varcoe, Greenwood or Crisp as they are not yet on the club's website. I also haven't included Marsh or Karnezis as they are yet to become senior players.

Over 6 foot

Pendles 191
Seedsman 190
Swan 185
Broomhead 184
Freeman 183
Sinclair 183

Between 5'11' to 6 foot

Adams 181
Williams 181
Fasolo 181
Sidey 180
Dwyer 180

Less than 6 foot

Elliott 178
Thomas 178
Kennedy 175
Blair 174

Of the 'shorts' (less than 6' tall), only Elliott has cemented his spot in our team. So overall, I'm not concerned we have too many 'shorts' at all.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall

(Bless 'Em All, song by Fred Godfrey, 1917)
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 pm

There's more to be concerned about than height and weight
of our mid field but it does seem we need another A grader
with size thats for darn sure.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Has been a little over dramatised but you get a team like Freo running Mundy (192), Fyfe (190) and Barlow (189) through their midfield and everyone thinks that is what is needed.

I'm personally less concerned about their height than I am about their capacity to get and use the footy. As you've said we already have Pendles and Seedsman, and we've got Marsh (193), Karnezis (191), Scharenberg (191), and Crisp (190) who are yet to debut in a Pies jumper but they're players who could all rotate through the midfield at times.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:25 pm

simon tonna wrote:
There's more to be concerned about than height and weight
of our mid field but it does seem we need another A grader
with size thats for darn sure.

Both Freeman and Broomhead are silky mids with size. Also, we've got Greenwood (only a medium height but built like a tank) and Crisp, who is built similarly to Pendles. Regardless of who we pick up in the draft, we need players like Seedsman, Karnezis and maybe even Marsh - who all are big - to step up to the plate. The more I think about it, it's our poor conversion in front of goals, which worries me the most, which is making me lean toward hoping we'll draft Wright.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm
Post subject: Re: The short and tall of our midfieldersReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Much has been said of our supposed over abundance of dwarfs and lack of height amongst our midfield group. I've just done a check and I think this has been somewhat overstated. Considering 180 cms is around 5' 11" and 182 cms is around 6 foot, I think we can only classify 'short' players as those under 180 cms. Here, I've listed our current potential senior midfielders from tallest to shortest. I haven't listed Varcoe, Greenwood or Crisp as they are not yet on the club's website. I also haven't included Marsh or Karnezis as they are yet to become senior players.

Over 6 foot

Pendles 191
Seedsman 190
Swan 185
Broomhead 184
Freeman 183
Sinclair 183

Between 5'11' to 6 foot

Adams 181
Williams 181
Fasolo 181
Sidey 180
Dwyer 180

Less than 6 foot

Elliott 178
Thomas 178
Kennedy 175
Blair 174

Of the 'shorts' (less than 6' tall), only Elliott has cemented his spot in our team. So overall, I'm not concerned we have too many 'shorts' at all.

Good points.
PK is at 191 and I think we will see him this year forward and through the middle
Levi 181, Varco 179,
clinton Young 189 as a winger with Tommy langdon at 189 also and played in the middle as a junior.

Then we have Caff who is still aiming at round 1 - 189
Scharenberg - 191 alouth will be a while before we see him in the middle, hopefully he gets some vfl under his belt this year.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

jackcass wrote:
Has been a little over dramatised but you get a team like Freo running Mundy (192), Fyfe (190) and Barlow (189) through their midfield and everyone thinks that is what is needed.

I'm personally less concerned about their height than I am about their capacity to get and use the footy. As you've said we already have Pendles and Seedsman, and we've got Marsh (193), Karnezis (191), Scharenberg (191), and Crisp (190) who are yet to debut in a Pies jumper but they're players who could all rotate through the midfield at times.

Fyfe is a gun. Mundy & Barlow are good but they aren't top shelf like an Ablett, Pendlebury etc. I'm not concerned about our height either. Some extra pace would be nice though. Wink
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Ive always said size doesnt matter.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:14 pm

BHPIE wrote:

Me too! Embarassed

I'm more focused on how you use it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 pm

BHPIE wrote:

not me Wink

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:27 pm

You Forgot Crisp at 190cm he is Potential Midfielder
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Say what you like, but the reality is that size and weight does matter. If you analyse every premiership team over the last 30 you will see a good mixture of height and weight, including our premiership teams of 2010 and 1990.
The teams we fielded last year didn't have that mixture of height and weight and hence were easy fodder for the taller teams such as Hawthorn and Fremantle. We corrected our list structure in the draft of last year and we will start to see the results of that in 2015.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:43 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Say what you like, but the reality is that size and weight does matter. If you analyse every premiership team over the last 30 you will see a good mixture of height and weight, including our premiership teams of 2010 and 1990.
The teams we fielded last year didn't have that mixture of height and weight and hence were easy fodder for the taller teams such as Hawthorn and Fremantle. We corrected our list structure in the draft of last year and we will start to see the results of that in 2015.

You need balance or a point of difference.

Having a plod squad of 6'4" crash and bash midfielders is no good if they get run down and run away from.

Having a fleet of skinny little blokes who can run like the Flash is no good if there's no one to get the ball to them and they get mangled in the clinches.

Picking one element out of top sides that we lack and saying that would make the difference doesn't work, it's all the elements working together that turn the raw ingredients into the feast.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

You need balance or a point of difference.

Having a plod squad of 6'4" crash and bash midfielders is no good if they get run down and run away from.

Having a fleet of skinny little blokes who can run like the Flash is no good if there's no one to get the ball to them and they get mangled in the clinches.

Picking one element out of top sides that we lack and saying that would make the difference doesn't work, it's all the elements working together that turn the raw ingredients into the feast.

The element that I am worried about is the tough guys. Having lost Leigh Brown from the 2010 side and now Beams Maxy and Ball we are short of a few hard and tough souls. Hopefully Adams Levi Witts Grundy and some one new step up in those roles
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:41 am

woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Fyfe is a gun. Mundy & Barlow are good but they aren't top shelf like an Ablett, Pendlebury etc. I'm not concerned about our height either. Some extra pace would be nice though. Wink

Extra pace isn't necessary. You can move the ball fast without being a fast runner - skills are needed more.

A combination of both would be best, but quick hand and foot skills will always beat a fast runner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: