Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rookie list spots

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am
Post subject: Rookie list spotsReply with quote

With the following 2014 rookies:

* J Frost (to be upgraded)
* B Hudson (retired)
* C Gault (maintained)
* K Martin (retired)
* P Yagmoor (delisted)

Bar Gault all moving on, it shall be interesting to see how the Pies structure their rookie list for 2015. We do know that:

1. T Armstrong: has been guaranteed a rookie spot
2. C Gault: yet to be delisted and with no Mitch Clark secured and light on a third or 4th ruck, looks likely to be retained. Rd 23 didn't hurt his cause either

So whom shall fill our 3rd, 4th and 5th spots on the list? Well let's look at our needs. We like a lot of middling teams have gaps on our list, so it makes sense to bolster these spots via the rookie list.

3. Extra Ruckman needed: names such as Sam Baulderstone from SA looms as a perfect addition. Bit of Shane Mumford about him in that he lost 40kg last year and at 24 has maturity and a more developed body if god forbid Witts or Grundy went down.

4. Key Forward: Sam Grimley from Hawks is available after his delisting yesterday. Can Ruck too, so versatility may be handy

5. Fast midfielder: there should be a bevy of these who slip out of the Draft this year. Look for B&F winners of TAC clubs or All Australian under 18's that somehow fall out of the draft unluckily (eg. Alan Toovey was this).

Don't make it a breeding ground for hacks like G Burbury, B MclLean or O Stephenson types

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need an extra ruckman, got Witts, Grundy, Gault, White, Keeffe and Cox.

I think we have a greater need for an additional KPD rather than KPF, particualarly if Reid is to play forward. Brett Eddy might be the exception just because he's been VFL listed by us previously.

Not sure if Frost can still be upgraded or if that opportunity has gone.

Think we should be going best available with a focus on kids with pace and skills. Snoop mentioned Shane Yarran as a rookie option for us in his PD. That's the sort of player we should be looking at.

Recruit to the VFL squad to build ruck and KPP depth at that level.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:19 pm

jackcass wrote:
I don't think we need an extra ruckman, got Witts, Grundy, Gault, White, Keeffe and Cox.

I think we have a greater need for an additional KPD rather than KPF, particualarly if Reid is to play forward. Brett Eddy might be the exception just because he's been VFL listed by us previously.

Think we should be going best available with a focus on kids with pace and skills. Snoop mentioned Shane Yarran as a rookie option for us in his PD. That's the sort of player we should be looking at.

Promote frost for shazza as a lti works doesn't it?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:02 pm

dalyc wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Promote frost for shazza as a lti works doesn't it?

Yep, either that or Pass on pick 85 and upgrade him preseason. Would still need to be formally upgraded to the senior list at the end of 2015 season.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Mature ruckman is a must, can't into the season with 2 21 year old rucks, it would be madness.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:55 am

If we have three picks (After taking Armstrong), then I'd like to spend one on a ruckman. I like the idea of Baulderstone/Grimley.

Sam Tagliabue is another ruck who could be available in the RD. He is 23 years old from Essendon VFL. 206cm, 101kg.

With the other picks, I've been thinking about Tyler Roos. It could just be the fact that he is a father-son that was passed on. And that it was Brisbane who passed on him. He is a goal kicking mid. 185cm, 73kg. He'd be a project player, and I'd love nothing more than to make Brisbane regret not taking him. (Could be out Jake Kelly Razz ).

Fraser Pearce is another that I'm interested in. 186cm Mid. His frame is light, so he wouldn't be ready for AFL for a couple of seasons. (Isn't that what the RD is all about?) Comes from a basketball background. Played with Darcy Moore at Oakleigh.

As far as a recycled player? Well my mind changes all the time about this. We've mentioned Grimley already. I don't think Collingwood will be looking for recycled "top-up" players like McLean, Raines, etc. I'm semi open to the idea, it just depends who it is I guess?

From the AFL Draft Machine: http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

Sam Tagliabue:
Quote:
The towering ruckman posted some huge numbers in the VFL this season, managing more than 50 hit-outs three times with a season-high of 57 against Port Melbourne. He was named in the Bombers' best on five occasions in 2014 after joining the club from UNSW/ES in the Sydney AFL competition. His work at ground level is impressive given his height, as is his agility around the ground.

Sam Baulderstone:
Quote:
Many are aware of Baulderstone's incredible journey; he arrived at Norwood in 2013 about 40kg overweight and has transformed himself into a SANFL dual premiership ruckman. He possesses a wonderful left-foot kick and his tap work is extremely sound, but needs to develop his competitiveness when the ball is in the air. When the Redlegs are on top, as they have been for much of the past three years, Baulderstone can dominate games and be dangerous from outside 50m. As he continues to improve his competitiveness he'll become all the more imposing.

Tyler Roos:
Quote:
Athletic medium midfielder who can outwork his opponents. Uses the ball well by foot and has good game sense. Played for Sandringham Dragons in TAC Cup but was eligible to play for NSW/ACT in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Averaged 19 touches and four clearances in three appearances at the carnival. Played 18 games at TAC Cup level, averaging 23 disposals. Son of Melbourne coach Paul Roos

Fraser Pearce:
Quote:
Son of Olympic basketballer Darryl, Pearce has made the switch from his own blossoming hoops career. Was involved in the Chargers' under-16 program, but concentrated on basketball where he represented the Victorian under-18s, before settling on footy. The 18-year-old is athletically gifted, with elite marks in speed (sub 3sec, 20m), agility (sub 8sec) and the beep test (above 15). Playing predominantly on a wing, Chargers talent manager Mark Smart says Pearce's work in contests continued to improve through 2014.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:11 pm

I would certainly consider mitch brown from the cats. Versatile KPP, not power KPP but mobile. Over his injuries and last game was a final for cats and looked pretty good. Im surprised he was delisted although he hadnt set world on fire during his time there. Former First round pick and now 24 years old. He is ready made.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:57 pm

jackcass wrote:

We have two rucks, a few part timers and one international rookie who is very unlikely to play.

If 2015 is anything other than a development year, we do need a mature backup ruck.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:32 pm

So now we focus on the Rookie Draft coming up on Wednesday.

We'll now be expected to upgrade Jack Frost after passing on our last pick in the ND.

We're also expected to re-draft Tony Armstrong in the RD.

Which leaves us with how many picks again?

On the March 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Three including Armstrong
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Like Kitel from WA
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 pm

We have 2 live picks for the Rookie Draft.

I want Yarran.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-27/draft-prospect-shane-yarran

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Yarran does look good.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Jack Geary would be my preference.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Defender wrote:
Mature ruckman is a must, can't into the season with 2 21 year old rucks, it would be madness.

Why? During the H&A season we could play Blair in the ruck against some teams and just rove to the opposition at centre bounces and do 3rd man up elsewhere.

While I'd like a mature ruck as pure back up, I think Grundy and Witts have developed enough to carry it, with the support they have.

We aren't going to win the flag in 2015, we're going to go flat knacker at getting a top 6 spot as a launching pad for 2016 and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: