Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wouldn't it be great if...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot wrote:
I too have great hopes that we may have found a great talent in Mason Cox but to adjust to a game so different to anything he has ever played before will take time.
I think the key will be to determine how well he copes with the physical battering a big man's game is exposed to at VFL and AFL level. You need to be tough to play at that level as a big marking forward.

I notice that Brody Grundy seems to have put on a bit of bulk around the arms and shoulders this year. Be interesting to see if he can run out games in 2015. Conversely Jarrad Witts seems to have lost size and looks like a tall whippet. Clearly Witts is working hard to increase his mobility and running stamina. I hope he is still able to maintain his body strength to be able to monster opposition rucks in 2015. I have great hopes for these two young ruckmen to provide Collingwood with enormous drive in 2015.

Could you just repeat that...
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 pm

It is such a long shot with mason cox.
Many years ago I played with a grid iron
high school star from the states in a local footy
competition.
He was a great athlete but a hopeless afl player.
He had no idea where to go, how to block, how to do a quick
kick or handball and
the most amazing thing - how to throw his weight around.
it was the same problem with our last usa recruit.
Worth a go but chances are......

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Boot has gone mad!

Edit: thread has been cleaned up now.

Last edited by Joel on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Joel wrote:
Boot has gone mad!

Priceless. Laughing
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:29 pm

They said the same about Shae as well, I'll wait to see how he goes on field before claiming him a gun in making.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 pm

loki04 wrote:
They said the same about Shae as well, I'll wait to see how he goes on field before claiming him a gun in making.

I think Shae may well have made it if he'd come to AFL at the same age as Cox. At 27 when he started he just ran out of time.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:43 pm

jackcass wrote:
loki04 wrote:

I think Shae may well have made it if he'd come to AFL at the same age as Cox. At 27 when he started he just ran out of time.

I think he was only 24 when he came to us, but your general point is valid.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
loki04 wrote:

he was 27 when he got delisted. by that time you could see he was finally starting to get the game and its nuances.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm

John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
loki04 wrote:

he was 27 when he got delisted. by that time you could see he was finally starting to get the game and its nuances.

Yeah just checked, turned 25 in the year he was drafted. Agree JW, his marking and disposal were coming good. Just ran out of time.
Santo Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm very excited about Big Cox.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Santo wrote:
I'm very excited about Big Cox.

Good for you.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:23 am

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
themonk wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
You don't pass on free hits, his salary isn't included in the cap and he's probably the best non AFL athlete available, will never be anything more than a Ruckman though IMO, and even that's a stretch.

Makes my blood boil we haven't hired a full time ruck coach yet.

With his speed off the mark and reach he could be an impossible to beat leading forward. Assuming he can catch.

Yes but can he mark?

And that's going to be a big if, I'm sure he can mark over head like any basket baller, but it's an entirely different scenario running at full speed towards a Stiff pass marking at full stretch, with heat coming from behind.

The marking is less of an issue than learning what to do with the ball once he marks it.

exactly! I spent some time playing AFL in the US and i made a living out of running past my american friends who could rip the ball out of the air with ease, but then have no idea how to kick the ball! Quite comical.

Australian just have a hard time understanding how underdeveloped US kicking skills are. Its comical.

As for bouncing the ball on the run.......

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:59 pm

I never had a lot of hope that Cox would do much, but its great to hear he's surpassing expectations, its not often a 7 footer comes along (I'll eschew the big Cox jokes) and if it turns out he can actually play it would be a massive bonus, especially with Freeman, Shazza, Darcy, and Jayden LaVerde(?) still to debut. (I do hope we take him instead of deGoey, watch their respective tapes and LaVerde seems a lock).

I imagine big Mason is finding out just how incredibly hard it is to be an AFL player, but he's said to have natural ability by the truckload, maybe he'll get a run in the NAB challenge (or whatever retarded variation of the game they plan on feeding us in 2015), it would certainly be quite incredible if we had a more mobile version of Sandilands, but yes, it is a very large 'if'.

And why in the name of all that's unholy do we not have a full-time ruck coach!?!? That is absolutely idiotic! What? We can't afford one? We can afford six! Get it done Buckley! Sheeesh! What's next? We don't have a boot studder? Property Master? Runners? A football?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm

35forever wrote:
I never had a lot of hope that Cox would do much, but its great to hear he's surpassing expectations, its not often a 7 footer comes along (I'll eschew the big Cox jokes) and if it turns out he can actually play it would be a massive bonus, especially with Freeman, Shazza, Darcy, and Jayden LaVerde(?) still to debut. (I do hope we take him instead of deGoey, watch their respective tapes and LaVerde seems a lock).

I imagine big Mason is finding out just how incredibly hard it is to be an AFL player, but he's said to have natural ability by the truckload, maybe he'll get a run in the NAB challenge (or whatever retarded variation of the game they plan on feeding us in 2015), it would certainly be quite incredible if we had a more mobile version of Sandilands, but yes, it is a very large 'if'.

And why in the name of all that's unholy do we not have a full-time ruck coach!?!? That is absolutely idiotic! What? We can't afford one? We can afford six! Get it done Buckley! Sheeesh! What's next? We don't have a boot studder? Property Master? Runners? A football?

I'm seething we haven't appointed a ruck coach, look at how Ceglar improved with a FT ruck coach, we have 2 very young rucks and an American who's never played the game and we still don't value the role, i suppose the position of ruck has only cost us 2 flags since 2002 (2002 and 2007, arguably 2011 as well), but they can find money for a bloody bio mechanics expert? **** me.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:19 pm

We should bring back Monkey to the club. He's done wonders at Hawthorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: