Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tax havens

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 am
Post subject: Tax havensReply with quote

I'm happy that Hockey's put this on the agenda. Let's hope now that he has the guts to fight this battle:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/07/joe-hockey-warns-tax-avoiders-they-will-be-pursued

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahhh ... David, learn to read more carefully for the love of Mike. Hockey has no plans whatsoever to deal with large-scale tax evasion by the likes of Google, Ikea, and Apple. Hockey is big-noting himself about plans to deal with illegal tax evasion, and the multi-billions dollar ripoffs by these huge multinational freeloaders are 100% legal. That's the whole point: they use loopholes in international tax laws to avoid paying any tax at all (bar some nominal and piddly amount they usually remit just so that no-one can say they don't pay any tax - typically, this amount is around 1% of what they actually should pay.)

Illegal tax evasion is a trivially small drop in the vast ocean of "legal" tax evasion which costs this country billions of dollars every year - enough to wipe out the deficit Hockey so loves to bang on about, and plenty left over. Hockey has done nothing at all to close the legal tax evasion loopholes, and has announced nothing at all by way of plans to do so. Hockey hopes that people are stupid enough not to notice the difference.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Where some see a Steely-eyed Adult in the Room ready to fight for the betterment of the nation, I simply see a posturing baboon that would throw poop if it could...

Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Tax havensReply with quote

David wrote:
I'm happy that Hockey's put this on the agenda. Let's hope now that he has the guts to fight this battle:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/07/joe-hockey-warns-tax-avoiders-they-will-be-pursued

It's usually the women after childbirth that go a bit lightheaded Wink Razz but allow me to sell you a used car. Genuine one lady owner. Only drove it to Darwin on weekends.

The born to rule mob are still too busy punishing the less well off - I see it at my work daily.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 pm

What about the other ones?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 pm

If you want to see what Hockey et al are doing with the tax system, try here.

http://jbh.ministers.treasury.gov.au/media-release/017-2013/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If you want to see what Hockey et al are doing with the tax system, try here.

http://jbh.ministers.treasury.gov.au/media-release/017-2013/

That looks like a list Tannin will enjoy.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:18 pm

I agree with Tannin. No attempt will be made to do a thing about it. Unless he has had a chance to warn them of another way to go about it before he implements it. And in 6 years time he will resign from Parliament on a gravy train and use taxpayers money to flit between the board meetings of those companies who are bleeding us dry. But still the sheep need a new I phone.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:05 pm

What makes this even more hypocritical by Hockey is that his f*cking government has cut the public service & got rid of those with experience & knowledge in the ATO who could have been working on corporate tax cheating & business fraud.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:20 pm

^

The best thing any government could do is throw out the tax legislation and start again from scratch.

Start with an eye on what the intent of some things like the FBT act were, and the various deductions, exemptions and other loopholes are and then reimagine how it should look if it was redesigned from scratch to be simple.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The best thing any government could do is throw out the tax legislation and start again from scratch.

Start with an eye on what the intent of some things like the FBT act were, and the various deductions, exemptions and other loopholes are and then reimagine how it should look if it was redesigned from scratch to be simple.

^ Quoted for 100% 24-carat cast-iron gospel truth.

Mind you, any government which actually did this would last about 10 minutes. The rent-seekers would castrate them with a rusty knife. No political party has one-tenth of the courage required. (More is the shame.)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Sounds like good news to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/09/joe-hockey-profit-shifting-tax-audit-multinationals-australia

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:08 pm
Post subject: Slimy p.117 Abbott/Joe Backflip on Global Co. Tax MeasuresReply with quote

Hockey backflips on tax laws to target multinational profit shifters

Treasurer Joe Hockey has broken a pledge to impose tough new tax avoidance rules on multinational companies that shift billions of dollars in profits between Australia and their international subsidiaries.

The practice of global corporations loading up subsidiaries with debt and then claiming relief from the Australian tax man on the interest paid gives an "unfair competitive advantage" over local rivals, Treasury said in 2013.

"When some taxpayers avoid or minimise their tax in a sustained way, the tax burden eventually falls more heavily on other taxpayers," a Treasury issues paper found at the time.

The Gillard government announced the abolition of deductions under section 25-90 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 as part of a package to combat tax minimisation by global corporations, at a projected benefit to the taxpayer of $600 million.

In November last year, Mr Hockey and the then Assistant Treasurer, Arthur Sinodinos, announced they would not legislate Labor's package, saying it would impose "unreasonable compliance costs on Australian companies" with subsidiaries offshore.

The current loophole favours the largest Australian companies such as BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto, currently under pressure from diving commodity prices.

Instead, Mr Hockey who has trumpeted a global tax crackdown on multinationals through the G20 process and Mr Sinodinos pledged in November to "introduce a targeted anti‑avoidance provision after detailed consultation with stakeholders".

But in Monday's Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook, a single line on page 117 revealed: "The government will not proceed with a targeted anti-avoidance provision to address certain conduit arrangements involving foreign multinational enterprises, first announced in the 2013-14 MYEFO."

While companies like IKEA and Apple have been in the news for "offshoring" billions of dollars made in Australia, tax experts told Fairfax Media it was Australia-based global players that will benefit the most from the government's backdown.

Companies with significant operations overseas get a "double bonus" under the existing law, introduced by the Howard government in 2001, because dividends from their international subsidiaries are tax exempt yet the interest on borrowings used to grow overseas operations is tax deductible.

On Tuesday, shadow assistant treasurer Andrew Leigh accused Mr Hockey of "sneaking in another giveaway for multinational companies" despite presiding over a near doubling of the deficit in 2014/15.

"Yet again the Treasurer has shown that he is happy to let big companies off the hook while hacking into foreign aid, schools, hospitals and pensions," Mr Leigh said.

John Passant, an outspoken tax expert from the Australian National University, recently wrote about the government's decision not to abolish section 25-90 deductions.

"It is unfortunate in the extreme that the Treasurer and Treasury have listened to a group of rent seekers being unjustly rewarded by not repealing section 25-90. But since this is a government of the 1% that is not surprising and we can conclude in fact that Hockey's bluster about addressing tax avoidance by his rich mates is just that complete and utter bluster," he wrote.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hockey-backflips-on-tax-laws-to-target-multinational-profit-shifters-20141216-128ebg.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Do you mean your name is John?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Great pick up PTID.

While the collective Australian consciousness was with the victims of the act of terror in Sydney these scumbags bury their act of treachery to the Australian taxpayer in the midst of the mid year review.

What was that about the age of entitlement?

The libs are scum as shown (again) by another act of bastardry at the cost of the taxpayer.

Hockey backflips on tax laws to target multinational profit shifters

Treasurer Joe Hockey has broken a pledge to impose tough new tax avoidance rules on multinational companies that shift billions of dollars in profits between Australia and their international subsidiaries.

But in Monday's Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook, a single line on page 117 revealed: "The government will not proceed with a targeted anti-avoidance provision to address certain conduit arrangements involving foreign multinational enterprises, first announced in the 2013-14 MYEFO."

Companies with significant operations overseas get a "double bonus" under the existing law, introduced by the Howard government in 2001, because dividends from their international subsidiaries are tax exempt yet the interest on borrowings used to grow overseas operations is tax deductible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: