Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ADF Pay Increase

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and political beliefs but this guy for some reason has always made my skin crawl and this just reinforces why.
Quote:

Victoria Cross winner Roberts-Smith, who was appointed the new Chair of Australia Day Council at the weekend, told the Daily Telegraph he understood the reasoning behind the deal.

“I understand what it’s like to be a soldier. You don’t get paid a lot of money in the army, you’re like everyone else who works hard," he told the newspaper.

“Would I like soldiers to get more money? Of course I would. But I am also cognisant of the fact the government was left with a deficit and there’s only so much you can do with the money that you have.

“We never did it for the money anyway. Should soldiers be looked after? Absolutely.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/11/10/05/32/vc-winner-ben-robertssmith-defends-controversial-adf-pay-deal#WGJr5XdUSUFQj0sR.99
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:35 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
however, I could be wrong. and maybe we should just be thankful all the nutjobs are in the army and not on the street!!

Haha, true that. Laughing

(Waiting to be shirtfronted by Tony Abbott in 3, 2, 1...)

Actually they put people through some reasonable psych testing so that they DON'T hire nutjobs.

In the current day and age war is just a tad different to what it was 100 years ago (fkn hopefully) but if you can find a more dangerous job than one which includes in the job description following orders that will get you killed, I'd like to see it.

I don't think they actually get paid enough, although I also do think Lambie is an oxygen thief.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm sorry David, as an ex RAAF Member, we never had cushy jobs, even when it was peacetime. Our pay and benefits were average at best and was certainly not the reason I joined the RAAF. Coming from a long line of Australian Military, it was in my blood.

As part of our pay and conditions, we were expected to be on call 24 hours a day. We didn't get overtime and we only got a nominal 8 hour break after doing our normal job and additional duties, such as guard duty.

For what current Defence members sacrifice, in postings away from friends and family, to going to war zones etc.... a payrise LESS than inflation and taking away some of their benefits (such as leave) is an absolute insult

and all on the eve of Remembrance Day!

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

1061 wrote:
Everyone has the right to their own opinion and political beliefs but this guy for some reason has always made my skin crawl and this just reinforces why.
Quote:

Victoria Cross winner Roberts-Smith, who was appointed the new Chair of Australia Day Council at the weekend, told the Daily Telegraph he understood the reasoning behind the deal.

“I understand what it’s like to be a soldier. You don’t get paid a lot of money in the army, you’re like everyone else who works hard," he told the newspaper.

“Would I like soldiers to get more money? Of course I would. But I am also cognisant of the fact the government was left with a deficit and there’s only so much you can do with the money that you have.

“We never did it for the money anyway. Should soldiers be looked after? Absolutely.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/11/10/05/32/vc-winner-ben-robertssmith-defends-controversial-adf-pay-deal#WGJr5XdUSUFQj0sR.99

I can see why he makes your skin crawl given that reasoned, intelligent, mature statement.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:08 pm

1061 wrote:
Quote:

Disrespecting a VC holder? What the actual ****?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Wokko wrote:
1061 wrote:
Quote:

I know I must be channeling Daddy David.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:50 pm

On 11 June 2010, a troop of the Special Operations Task Group conducted a helicopter assault into Tizak, Kandahar Province, in order to capture or kill a senior Taliban commander.

Immediately upon the helicopter insertion, the troop was engaged by machine gun and rocket propelled grenade fire from multiple, dominating positions. Two soldiers were wounded in action and the troop was pinned down by fire from three machine guns in an elevated fortified position to the south of the village. Under the cover of close air support, suppressive small arms and machine gun fire, Roberts-Smith and his patrol manoeuvred to within 70 metres of the enemy position in order to neutralise the enemy machine gun positions and regain the initiative.

Upon commencement of the assault, the patrol drew very heavy, intense, effective and sustained fire from the enemy position. Roberts-Smith and his patrol members fought towards the enemy position until, at a range of 40 metres, the weight of fire prevented further movement forward. At this point, he identified the opportunity to exploit some cover provided by a small structure.

As he approached the structure, Roberts-Smith identified an insurgent grenadier in the throes of engaging his patrol. Roberts-Smith engaged the insurgent at point-blank range resulting in the death of the insurgent. With the members of his patrol still pinned down by the three enemy machine gun positions, he exposed his own position in order to draw fire away from his patrol, which enabled them to bring fire to bear against the enemy. His actions enabled his Patrol Commander to throw a grenade and silence one of the machine guns. Seizing the advantage, and demonstrating extreme devotion to duty and the most conspicuous gallantry, Roberts-Smith, with a total disregard for his own safety, stormed the enemy position killing the two remaining machine gunners.

His act of valour enabled his patrol to break into the enemy position and to lift the weight of fire from the remainder of the troop who had been pinned down by the machine gun fire. On seizing the fortified gun position, Corporal Roberts-Smith then took the initiative again and continued to assault enemy positions in depth during which he and another patrol member engaged and killed further enemy. His acts of selfless valour directly enabled his troop to go on and clear the village of Tizak of Taliban. This decisive engagement subsequently caused the remainder of the Taliban in Shah Wali Kot District to retreat from the area.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:26 pm

what price can you put on the lives he saved?

when you can earn an easy $150,000 playing footy, no, these guys are not paid enough.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

1061 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
1061 wrote:
Quote:

As straw-men go, I've seen better.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 pm

David wrote:
1061 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
1061 wrote:
Quote:

As straw-men go, I've seen better.

I was just confused to be honest. Still not sure what it all means.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:30 am

Wokko it's just a personal view of Roberts-Smith that's all I am not running him down for his service to our Country and his heroism so don't confuse the issue to create an argument please.
I just don't like him and the way he is turning on his mates now rather than using what is an extremely loud voice in support of them is no more than I unfortunately would expect from him as a civilian.

I predict he'll be standing in a safe LNP seat soon.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:25 am

1061 wrote:
Wokko it's just a personal view of Roberts-Smith that's all I am not running him down for his service to our Country and his heroism so don't confuse the issue to create an argument please.
I just don't like him and the way he is turning on his mates now rather than using what is an extremely loud voice in support of them is no more than I unfortunately would expect from him as a civilian.

I predict he'll be standing in a safe LNP seat soon.
Have to agree. He is a future GG if he plays his cards/electorate right.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 am

He has fired a gun. That gives him at least a 50/50 chance.

(BTW, no disrespect to this guy or any other soldier intended. I have no positive or negative opinion on his qualities as a human being. I just hate the way death and warfare are glorified in this country.)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:03 pm

David wrote:
He has fired a gun. That gives him at least a 50/50 chance.

(BTW, no disrespect to this guy or any other soldier intended. I have no positive or negative opinion on his qualities as a human being. I just hate the way death and warfare are glorified in this country.)

Is it glorified death or respected and appreciated defence of our country, our way of life, and the welfare of others overseas.

Did you take a minutes yesterday to give thanks to those who gave their lives, or their health, both mental or physical, so that you may live your life as you choose?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:22 pm

He is back peddling at a massive rate. He has now come out saying he has been misrepresented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: