Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victorian State Election

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/victorian-state-election-2014-push-to-reform-donor-laws-20141108-11j4pt.html

Quote:
If this were NSW, Bill McNee could be in a lot of trouble. In Victoria, 20 days out from an election Labor is favoured to win, he is just a very anxious developer.

Mr McNee is the head of MaxVic Holdings one of 10 property firms awaiting approval for projects at the Napthine government's signature urban renewal project at Fishermans Bend, south-west of the CBD.

The Sunday Age understands Mr McNee has a confidential agreement to sell his property to Asian investors, conditional on approval for a permit to build four high-rise towers and 1600 units. If approved, and the sale is finalised, Mr McNee and his partners will pocket tens of millions without a spade having pierced the silt at his Port Melbourne site.

If no decision is made, and Labor's Daniel Andrews is elected promising to review plans for Fishermans Bend, MaxVic could be left stranded without a sale and with a site of collapsing value.
Advertisement

Mr McNee is a long-time Liberal supporter and, through another of his companies, VicLand Corporation, has been one of the biggest donors to the Victorian Liberal Party in recent times.

According to Liberal Party and Australian Electoral Commission records, the company donated $100,000 over two years.

He has not done anything illegal. But his situation a developer seeking approval for a major project while also making big political donations is not allowed in NSW. Critics say it is time Victoria caught up with its northern neighbour in reviewing political funding rules. They say all parties should be considering major reform, regardless of who forms government after November 29.

Monash University Associate Professor Ken Coghill says the public wants change and "it is time political parties caught up".

"Irrespective of their independence and integrity, public officials should not have to make decisions in an environment when political money is in play," he says.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Based on the latest polls I've seen my guess is that Labor will obtain about 52-55 seats, the LNP will obtain about 30-34 seats and the Greens may be able to obtain the seats of Melbourne and Richmond as reported in The Age recently.

I can't say Andrews makes a convincing leader by any means but I expect him and his party to win the election quite comfortably come Saturday November 29 unless something dramatically changes.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Jezza wrote:
Based on the latest polls I've seen my guess is that Labor will obtain about 52-55 seats, the LNP will obtain about 30-34 seats and the Greens may be able to obtain the seats of Melbourne and Richmond as reported in The Age recently.

I can't say Andrews makes a convincing leader by any means but I expect him and his party to win the election quite comfortably come Saturday November 29 unless something dramatically changes.

I'm reading it much the same. Give me anything but a Greens balance of power and I'll be ok with it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:00 am

How about a Geoff Shaw balance of power? Shocked
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 am

The East West Link will be Napthine's Desalination Plant & we the public will be paying for far too many years:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-state-election-2014/victoria-state-election-east-west-links-true-cost-178-billion-20141110-11jysh.html

The other issue is the disgrace of Fishermen's Bend: Mathew Guy needs to take a long walk off a short plank:

How the public will have lost billions & how the private sector will be making billions out of public resources. The story is something like this:

There is a lot of public land at Fishermens Bend near Port Melbourne. It is worth a few billion. There have been development proposals which have had community input into development with very small % to allow for public housing, transport, parks & amenities. The area needs to be rezoned with plans set in concrete then sold off.

What has happened is that the place got rezoned which increased the value of the land from a few billion to about $15-$17 billion without any of the planning inputs noted above & sold at the lower price to developers. Thank you Mathew Guy & the Libs. We the public have lost out at obtaining the higher value as the land is basically being gifted at the lower amount to property developers.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:43 pm

That's what Government is for, wpt - giving things to your mates. It's just a question of who you are mates with.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm

David wrote:
How about a Geoff Shaw balance of power? Shocked

Frankston getting a bit extra wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the whack job Greens.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm

^^^ You're talking about my elected local Member of Parliament, there, Wokko. Be nice.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ You're talking about my elected local Member of Parliament, there, Wokko. Be nice.

Geoff Shaw or the Watermelons?

Nothing against the Member for Frankston, in the grand scheme of political corruption he was a lightweight and easy target. I mean misusing a vehicle shouldn't even nudge the needle compared to some of the waste and corruption that goes on every day.

If you're in a Greens seat, then my condolences. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Where is Frankston?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Just south of St Kilda love.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
That's what Government is for, wpt - giving things to your mates. It's just a question of who you are mates with.

it's only a rort if you're not involved in it.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

John Wren wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

it's only a rort if you're not involved in it.

Or if you get caught.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:44 pm

ronrat wrote:
I am going to get fined for not voting and won't pay it.

Anybody who is out of the country between the 17th and 29th of November doesn't have to vote.

#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:58 pm

mandy wrote:
ronrat wrote:
I am going to get fined for not voting and won't pay it.

Anybody who is out of the country between the 17th and 29th of November doesn't have to vote.

Does 18th to the 27 th count?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13   

Jump to: