Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you need to know...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 am

I see. Thanks for the link, Wokko. So, essentially, if they call it a caliphate, it's a caliphate (and if I call the sandcastle I build at the beach a McMansion I can be a home owner).

Seriously, tenuous control of a territory covering less than half of two sovereign countries ain't the Umayyad. Now that was a caliphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_Caliphate#mediaviewer/File:Umayyad750ADloc.png

But if they want to prematurely ejaculate all over the Euphrates River, that's their call. I guess it's probably about as good as they're going to get.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 am

It will come down to the reaching some kind of critical mass in Iraq and Syria. Remember, Iraq was Sunni controlled so they all remember being in power and resent like crazy being made second class citizens.

Kind of ironic that the main pillar standing against Isis isn't the USA, or any coalition of willing meatbags, it's Assad.

Not hearing too much about baddies vs baddies right now, although the USA seems to like arming 'moderate' rebels who turn coat to ISIS and hand over all the goodies.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Tannin wrote:
Jezza wrote:
3). ISIS is the first terrorist group to actually establish a caliphate and to seize territory to set up institutions for the people living in these areas controlled by the group.

Provided we interpret "caliphate" to mean something like "self-governing state under a ruler", this would have to be one of the most absurd claims I've seen in quite a while. Did they provide any justification for this amazing claim? It would be time-consuming but not at all difficult to come up with dozens of counter-examples from history, probably many hundreds of them. Is there something special about the rise of ISIS that they haven't mentioned? Or are they just terminally ignorant about history? Or, perhaps, they actually mean "first in the Middle-east since some arbitrary (and very recent) date" or they are ruling out all the many, many other examples of the same thing through some other technicality. Failing some as-yet-unprovided explanation, that claim is and can only be major-league horseshit.

It's a self-declared caliphate. Followers who align themselves with ISIS think it's actually a real caliphate so to speak. Most Muslim clerics and moderate practising Muslims do not recognise it as a real caliphate and have openly condemned it.

It's the first known 'caliphate' since the Ottoman Empire was abolished in the early 1920s. However to say it's a valid and real caliphate is absolutely ridiculous and that's where we agree with one another on this.

Wokko wrote:
It will come down to the reaching some kind of critical mass in Iraq and Syria. Remember, Iraq was Sunni controlled so they all remember being in power and resent like crazy being made second class citizens.

Kind of ironic that the main pillar standing against Isis isn't the USA, or any coalition of willing meatbags, it's Assad.

Not hearing too much about baddies vs baddies right now, although the USA seems to like arming 'moderate' rebels who turn coat to ISIS and hand over all the goodies.

Good post Wokko!

The actions of Nouri al-Maliki is what has isolated the Sunni-Shia communities in Iraq and caused further sectarian tensions between the two communities. ISIS has thrived on such tensions to gain territory on the Syrian-Iraqi borders.

It is also true that ISIS detests Assad and his supporters and fighters and this has been well-documented in violent videos that ISIS has posted over a recent period.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Jezza wrote:
It's a self-declared caliphate. Followers who align themselves with ISIS think it's actually a real caliphate so to speak. Most Muslim clerics and moderate practising Muslims do not recognise it as a real caliphate and have openly condemned it.

Fine, now name me three non-self-declared caliphates. Hell, I doubt you'd be able to name as many as one. Your time starts now.

For bonus points, explain the difference between it and a "real" caliphate. (If you can find a genuine difference, I will be very impressed.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 pm

I'll jump straight to the bonus round, when others acknowledge your self declared caliphate as an actual caliphate, then you have one.

That would have been the case a fair while back, when western rulers acknowledged a ruler as the Caliph. (I CBF looking up the details)
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Spot on, Stui. That's how states have always formed, ever since the idea of a state caught on, back before the dawn of recorded history. A group of people get together in some form of compact (which may be voluntary, may be violent and coercive, and is usually some combination of the two, generally less of the former and rather more of the latter) and decide that they (or more usually the small number of them who call themselves kings, caliphs, generals, dukes, pharaohs, high priests, prime ministers, warlords, glorious democratic leaders, servants of the nation, servants of god, ceasers, sultans, or god-kings) are going to run the joint and everyone else had better agree or else.

Sometimes they manage to hold things together for a while, sometimes they don't. Rivals surrounding them may or may not wipe them out, may or may not agree that the people now running things are indeed the people now running things. As a rule, if the new kings/caliph/prime minister/warlord/glorious democratic leader can hold things together for long enough to exert some power over other states nearby (friendly power such as useful trade, military power, religious power, any sort of power will do) without bringing down upon himself an invasion, he and his new state will be recognised and may wind up lasting for a long time.

New states have come and gone on a regular basis since before the earliest written history began. We can safely assume that the process will continue for as long as we continue to have and care about these things we call states or nations.

ISIS is just the most recent one to come to our attention. I have yet to see any evidence to suggest that it's any different in essence from the thousands which have come before, or the thousands which will probably come after. (Oh, they are a spectacularly nasty, evil lot, no doubt about it, but that's so common as to be routine. Read some history. Pretty much any history. If in doubt, start with Europe in (say) the 13th and 14th Centuries, or the western Mediterranean world anytime between (say) 500BC and the early centuiries AD, or the eastern Mediterranean world in the First Millennium, or ... er ... the Second Millennium too, and right now the third one is looking just as likely. And don't think for one moment that half of those new proto-states, some of which survive and prosper to this day, were not founded by what we now call "terrorists" - some of them make the ISIS mob look pretty kind, meek and gentle.)

(PS: the modern notion of the "nation state" is more formal and different in various respects, but none of them invalidate the basics as outlined above.)

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Tannin wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Fine, now name me three non-self-declared caliphates. Hell, I doubt you'd be able to name as many as one. Your time starts now.

For bonus points, explain the difference between it and a "real" caliphate. (If you can find a genuine difference, I will be very impressed.)

What constitutes a 'real' caliphate is open to interpretation amongst Sunni and Shia Muslims. That's one of the main reasons why there's big sectarian divides between Sunnis and Shias in the first place. Sunnis believe that a caliphate should be elected by muslims or its representatives so in reality people should have a right to vote on it. On the other hand, Shias believe the caliphate position should go to an Imam chosen by their apparent god.

Along with these distinctions a 'real' caliphate is considered as one that is recognised by other states as Stui just said now. What constitutes a 'real' caliphate is vastly disputed between the two main sects of Islam and the way ISIS got into power was self-declared as Sunnis did not get a vote on who become the 'caliph' of ISIS apart from possibly a small handful who are in the top echelons of ISIS.

Here is a whole list of caliphates dating back to the 7th century when the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's messenger) passed on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Caliphs

Also I'd recommend reading this open letter by Muslim clerics and scholars to Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi that explains a wide range of problems with his group and leadership but specifically read page 15 where there's a whole summary devoted to the caliphate and what constitutes a 'real' or valid caliphate from the perspective of these clerics and Islamic scholars.

http://lettertobaghdadi.com/index.php

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 am

This clip is really good, and explains not just about religion when it comes to Muslims/Islam but Christians/Christianity.

It's man who is evil, not religion, people do things in the name of religion.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nonprophetstatus/2014/10/01/reza-aslan-responds-to-bill-maher-genital-mutilation-is-not-an-islamic-problem/

laird 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 am

think positive wrote:
This clip is really good, and explains not just about religion when it comes to Muslims/Islam but Christians/Christianity.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nonprophetstatus/2014/10/01/reza-aslan-responds-to-bill-maher-genital-mutilation-is-not-an-islamic-problem/

It really is quite simple isn't it Jo.

Personally, I do not call myself 'religious'.

I am a follower/servant of Jesus Christ. Full stop.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 am

Religion is based on fantasy and the interpretation of that fantasy has killed Millions of Innocent people. The Gullible are Believers and in turn become Killers.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 am

laird wrote:
think positive wrote:

It really is quite simple isn't it Jo.

Personally, I do not call myself 'religious'.

I am a follower/servant of Jesus Christ. Full stop.

Exactly honey, exactly that, cheers xxx

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Guess the Guardian must of missed this.

Quote:
Isis has executed at least 150 women for refusing to marry militants in Iraq, Turkish media has reported.

A statement released by the country's Ministry of Human Rights on Tuesday said the militants had attacked women in the western Iraqi province of Al-Anbar before burying them in mass graves in Fallujah.

Some of the women killed were pregnant at the time, according to the Anadolu Agency.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/Isis-executes-150-women-for-refusing-to-marry-militants-and-buries-them-in-mass-graves/articleshow/45550919.cms

No, I don't routinely read Indian news, I saw this in a facebook post, went "WTF" and did some googling to see if it was fair dinkum.

It's in very few western media outlets for some reason.

Oh, and according to a few versions I read, they killed them by beheading.

Cnuts. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 pm

The Media is an ass.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Yet again I shake my head in wonder that the feminist left are so ready to defend Islam or ignore its many crimes against women, especially Muslim women. Who's riding with them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 37 of 128   

Jump to: