Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
http://www.khaama.com/isis-taliban-announced-jihad-against-each-other-3206
Reports of minor clashes between the fighters of Taliban group and the newly emerged Daesh have published in the past.
Both groups oppose each other.
Abdu Bakar Al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS has called Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar a fool and illiterate warlord

This "Operational Secrecy" lark the Government keeps pedalling every-time it finds it'self unable (or unwilling) to answer a question is getting very old!

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4216502.htm

Quote:
DEFENCE Minister Kevin Andrews failed the name of the leader of the Islamic State, just hours after committing an extra 330 Australian troops to a two-year training mission to help defeat the terrorist group.
In an excruciating exchange with ABC 7.30 host Leigh Sales, Mr Andrews was asked to name the leader of ISIS.
Mr Andrews initially appeared to attempt to evade the question by saying...he wasnt going to go into operational matters.
Sales fired back: Minister, youre responsible for putting Australian men and women in harms way in the cause of this mission. Im surprised that you cant tell me the name of Islamic States leader.

I hope the fresh troops we are sending into the war zone have better operational intelligence than the defence minister Kevin Andrews!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Not many people say both.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Skids wrote:
Something positive.... ISIS, Taliban announced Jihad against each other.

Let's hope they wipe each other out.

That link seems to be down, but I found this one:

http://us105fm.com/isis-and-the-taliban-have-declared-jihad-on-each-other/

Seems odd. Are they really competing for the same turf? I guess ISIS's long-term 'caliphate' ambitions would eventually include Afghanistan and Pakistan, but I would have thought they'd be too tied up holding their ground in Iraq and Syria to be opening up a new front on the other side of Iran. Isn't the next destination Jordan? Or are they just trying to open up as many fronts as possible? Tactically, that doesn't seem very smart, but perhaps it's a mistake to assume fundamentalists are capable of basic logical reasoning.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:24 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Skids wrote:
Reports of minor clashes between the fighters of Taliban group and the newly emerged Daesh have published in the past.
Both groups oppose each other.
Abdu Bakar Al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS has called Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar a fool and illiterate warlord

This "Operational Secrecy" lark the Government keeps pedalling every-time it finds it'self unable (or unwilling) to answer a question is getting very old!

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4216502.htm

Quote:
DEFENCE Minister Kevin Andrews failed the name of the leader of the Islamic State, just hours after committing an extra 330 Australian troops to a two-year training mission to help defeat the terrorist group.
In an excruciating exchange with ABC 7.30 host Leigh Sales, Mr Andrews was asked to name the leader of ISIS.
Mr Andrews initially appeared to attempt to evade the question by saying...he wasnt going to go into operational matters.
Sales fired back: Minister, youre responsible for putting Australian men and women in harms way in the cause of this mission. Im surprised that you cant tell me the name of Islamic States leader.

I hope the fresh troops we are sending into the war zone have better operational intelligence than the defence minister Kevin Andrews!

That's last week's news! Get with the times Razz

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
Something positive.... ISIS, Taliban announced Jihad against each other.

Let's hope they wipe each other out.

That link seems to be down, but I found this one:

http://us105fm.com/isis-and-the-taliban-have-declared-jihad-on-each-other/

Seems odd. Are they really competing for the same turf? I guess ISIS's long-term 'caliphate' ambitions would eventually include Afghanistan and Pakistan, but I would have thought they'd be too tied up holding their ground in Iraq and Syria to be opening up a new front on the other side of Iran. Isn't the next destination Jordan? Or are they just trying to open up as many fronts as possible? Tactically, that doesn't seem very smart, but perhaps it's a mistake to assume fundamentalists are capable of basic logical reasoning.

ISIS hardly have any presence with a tiny portion situated in Southern Afghanistan at this stage and from what I've gathered I don't think ISIS has the ability to exploit sectarian tensions in Afghanistan like they do in Syria and Iraq or even Egypt and Libya for that matter. They've already split from Al-Qaeda last year in February and the conflict against the Taliban has been ongoing so this is nothing new apart from the fact that 'jihad' has been waged in an official capacity against these two groups.

ISIS has practically threatened every Middle Eastern country and Jordan is no different here. I think they threatened to kill the Jordanian royal family so they're a bunch of psychopaths intent on having total power and domination wherever they are located.

The article below confirms that ISIS has a very small presence in South Afghanistan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-active-in-south-afghanistan-officials-confirm-for-first-time/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Thanks Jezza. Yep, a cursory look at a map should dispel any fantasies of ISIS and the Taliban 'wiping each other out'. There's a big Iran-shaped roadblock separating them, and the Iranians hate both of them. The Taliban doesn't really have much in the way of expansionist ambitions anyway, so any fighting between the two groups will be limited to the small region of Afghanistan in which they're situated.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm

No worries David and yes you're right about the fact that the Taliban has no apparent expansionist ambitions which is clearly evident in groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda (on a smaller scale). I have a feeling the conflict between ISIS and the Taliban originated from the schism between ISIS and Al-Qaeda which officially came to a total split last year and obviously the Taliban considers Al-Qaeda an ally in contrast to ISIS who are too barbaric and crazy for their liking Shocked

There's no chance that ISIS or the Taliban would seize Iran! NO CHANCE whatsoever because they'll be literally obliterated in a number of days or weeks for that matter.

I know that it's Wikipedia but as a general starting point I thought it was interesting reading about the current war in Afghanistan that commenced this year after the US' decision to withdraw from Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2015present)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:10 pm

This is one of the reasons why I've always been sceptical of our government's rhetoric about ISIS being an "existential threat" to us. If they have zero chance of defeating Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel, and are currently fighting a draw against a small ethnic minority that have never even been able to establish their own state, how much of a threat are they to the rest of the world, exactly? Their successes so far involve 1) capitalising on one of the most brutal civil wars of the new millennium by establishing a base in Syria, and 2) crossing over the border into a shell of a state blown to pieces by the US and its allies. What are they going to do when they reach the borders of a real country?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:44 pm

The sending of troops may well have a domestic agenda. Sooner or later some dunderhead is going to get himself in a whole world of shit. Quite possibly some middle class kid from the suburbs with no friends whose reality was the internet. Then his Dad, who works for a big company and his Mum who works part time at the Church op shop is going to walk into a radio station and say my son is a good boy, but lost his way and now the Government won't help him. He was with the ISIS but only cooked for them or swept the camp. Then the Iranians captured him. He is scared and frightened.
Why won't the Government
a. pay the 2 million ransom (because we want to keep our 1.8 million balwyn home)
b.Deploy a 100 SASR and get him out
C. Forget the facebook page of him with a knife and a severed head
D. All of the above

The Government simply says. "We are committed to our own ADF who have broken no law, have acted with humanity and are not cowards.We do not deal with terrorists.

The media won't side with any of them because to turn on the ADF is a commercial form of suicide.

It will also send a message to the home grown bozos here. We are not going to fight goat herders but trained killers.

It also helps our sheep and wheat farmers out if we continue to trade in the middle east.

Maybe it is the cynic in me.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Why not?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Jezza wrote:
That's last week's news! Get with the times Razz

and the weak before that and the weak before that...etc etc ad nausium!{sic}
(Even our Free Trade Deals are shrouded in Economic Secrecy!
What exactly is the Government signing us up to and why aren't involved in the Conversation?
(A new word in the twisted LNP vocab apparently)

When is this Government going to get with the times/program and start being honest with the Australian public?
Sorry...that was rhetorical question!
Rolling Eyes
At the risk of being called yesterdays news here we have the Foreign Minister "trying" to forge some better links with country at the crucible of this internecine stoush you and david were on about...
and the conservative media reaction to it!

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2015/04/20/bolt-slams-bishops-hat/

A. Blot on the landscape wrote:
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop should have stood up for Western values and not covered her head when visiting the Iranian president on a diplomatic mission, conservative commentator Andrew Bolt has said...blah blah blah...

Why is it Conservatives want to make an issue of anything that even vaguely resembles an olive branch when it comes to Islam?
Is there room in there hearts/minds for anything beyond strong rhetoric and a "boots and all" approach to anything and everything they find disagreeable!
Things like, oh I don't know, Diplomacy?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm

David wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I've always been sceptical of our government's rhetoric about ISIS being an "existential threat" to us. If they have zero chance of defeating Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel, and are currently fighting a draw against a small ethnic minority that have never even been able to establish their own state, how much of a threat are they to the rest of the world, exactly? What are they going to do when they reach the borders of a real country?

Not much of a threat ?.....

Monthly Jihad Report
March, 2015
Jihad Attacks:

Countries:

Allah Akbars:

Dead Bodies:

Critically Injured:

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Skids wrote:

Not much of a threat ?...

Not when you consider the body count of America's cynical hunt for WOMD's and war on "Terrorism" in Iraq!
Quote:

Estimates of the casualties from the conflict in Iraq since 2003 (beginning with the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, and the ensuing occupation and insurgency) have come in many forms, and the accuracy of the information available on different types of Iraq War casualties varies greatly.
Scientific surveys of Iraqi deaths resulting from the first four years of the Iraq War found that between 151,000 to over one million Iraqis died as a result of conflict.
A later study, published in 2011, found that approximately 500,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the conflict since the invasion.
Counts of deaths reported in newspapers collated by projects like the Iraq Body Count project found 174,000 Iraqis reported killed between 2003 and 2013, with between 112,000-123,000 of those killed being civilian noncombatants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:18 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Skids wrote:

Not much of a threat ?...

Not when you consider the body count of America's cynical hunt for WOMD's and war on "Terrorism" in Iraq!
Quote:

Estimates of the casualties from the conflict in Iraq since 2003 (beginning with the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, and the ensuing occupation and insurgency) have come in many forms, and the accuracy of the information available on different types of Iraq War casualties varies greatly.
Scientific surveys of Iraqi deaths resulting from the first four years of the Iraq War found that between 151,000 to over one million Iraqis died as a result of conflict.
A later study, published in 2011, found that approximately 500,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the conflict since the invasion.
Counts of deaths reported in newspapers collated by projects like the Iraq Body Count project found 174,000 Iraqis reported killed between 2003 and 2013, with between 112,000-123,000 of those killed being civilian noncombatants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

Yes, but that was sooooo long ago. I mean it's as though you're presuming that there is a causal relationship between God fearing USA's intervention in Iraq & the subsequent formation of ISIS. Turn it up Rolling Eyes

Mission accomplished

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

David wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I've always been sceptical of our government's rhetoric about ISIS being an "existential threat" to us. If they have zero chance of defeating Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel, and are currently fighting a draw against a small ethnic minority that have never even been able to establish their own state, how much of a threat are they to the rest of the world, exactly? Their successes so far involve 1) capitalising on one of the most brutal civil wars of the new millennium by establishing a base in Syria, and 2) crossing over the border into a shell of a state blown to pieces by the US and its allies. What are they going to do when they reach the borders of a real country?

Hijack some planes, blow up some buses and trains, storm some hotels with guns blazing.

Yes that was Al Qaeda but you'd be a fool to believe the threat from them has passed and who's to say that ISIS mightn't eventually go down the same path on such a grand scale and escalate what we have already seen in France.

Just hope that Al Qaeda and ISIS never see eye to eye and work together.

P.S-Not surprising at all that the police uncovered a suspected terrorist plot for Anzac day celebrations. I mentioned this last year as a cause for concern given the high profile nature of the 100 year anniversary. Just hope we have uncovered all the potential nutters this time around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 95 of 128   

Jump to: