Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I put in an antidote about a friend of mine, who happens to be a 25% Muslim, in the way I'm 25% Christian, (ie I don't go to church now the kids have finished school!) and yet deleted it cos when ever I put something personal on in a thread like this I cop it! Pam is a wonderful friend, she recently went home to Croatia as her dad took in, and sadly passed there. Her opinion on the treatment of woman by hard core Muslims is the same, and the reason she is raising her daughters here.

We share "merry Christmases" and I offer greetings on her "other Christmas" as she calls it! Like wise the Hindu couple across the road. I'm pretty hopeful most folks can say the same thing. I guess I just assume most people on a forum would assume one was talking about hard ore religionists. But hey I've been called crazy already! Cheers

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:22 am

I'm sure she would like to hear about that.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
There are three levels here. There are Muslims, Islamists, and Islam.

Muslims are mostly fine, family-oriented people, trying to do the right thing.

Islamists have been responsible for the mass murder of civilians in New York, in Madrid, in London, in Nairobi, in Bali, in Nigeria, and (mostly)across the Arab world. Their aim is genocidal, and we Westerners are high up their list. The only thing protecting us from them are our security services, geographic distance, and their access to the kind of weapons that will allow them to kill us without limit. They have not yet delivered to Australia what they delivered to (eg) London, but i think this is a matter of time, population density, and chance.

Islam is a major world religion with many strands, but two of the largest strands are Deobandi and Wahhabi. Both seem ideologically incompatible with secular liberal democracy, and both seem increasingly affected by the growing virus of Islamism, including the twisted narratives about the West which are used to justify genocidal violence against us. As David says, that may change with time, though the evidence , discouragingly, points in the opposite direction.

It is not wrong to be concerned about the compatability of several of the strongest strands of Islam with liberal democracy, and it is right to undermine and attack Islamism where we can. Of course it's disgraceful to be uncivil to individual law-abiding Muslim people who are our co-citizens. But we should not confuse these issues.

The voices of those who are alarmed and threatened by the impact of Islamism and extreme Islamic practice on their cherished culture are simply the voices that democracy was designed to hear. Democracy was not made for intellectual elites. It was made for the ordinary in-situ citizen to express and determine the type of society and values that they wanted. I don't think it is legitimate to use the cry of "racism" or "Islamophobia" to suppress critique of Islam or Islamism.

BTW, what happened to Mohammadeans?

It's the last paragraph I have significant concerns about.

What the heck does democracy have to do with PTID's comments? To me it stood out like liquorice sticks in a snow field.

To me, your use of the term here only serves to say that you support people being able to express a range of opinions under the guise of a motherhood term "democracy" (I suspect you mean freedom to express an opinion) who could argue with that? However, it is not connected to what PTID was saying.

At the same time you use the term first coined by Stalin that "democracy" was not just for "intellectual elites". Another motherhood statement that despite being used first by Stalin ( as a means of murdering millions which included the intelligentsia & the "real" communists - but that is another story) is part of the "lingua franca" of Howard & the revisionist history of Australia (see culture wars). Again this was not what PTID was saying.

Additionally you've then said people who are rightfully fearful of what the fanatics are saying "go murder the next bloke etc" what you omitted from the discourse & this has been fundamental in Australia, is the role of fear that was deliberately inflammed & fuelled by Abbott & amplified by News Limited. By not mentioning the fact of the fear campaign exploited by the latest pollie with a popularity deficit, with a savage & unpopular budget then the you've permitted an over-simplification of events. (I was in the UK when Thatcher was about to lose an election & the Argentine military gifted her an election win - there were more than 3 million unemployed under her policies at the time in the UK) While not the same there are similarities here. I was worried you might slip into "Team Australia" rhetoric there for a minute

For me where PTID didn't get it right was his reductionism of the wars & conflict in economic & imperial terms. The wars going on are bigger than mere oil & US imperialism or to use a good BA expression: Economic & Imperial reductionism are a necessary but not sufficient condition to explain the Iraq / Syria / ISIL / ISIS tumult.

There is no doubt that George "Mission accomplished" Dubya & others have created & are directly responsible for the mess in Iraq & Syria. However there is also no doubt that there are pre-existing feudal / internecine / sectarian / inter & intra religious wars going on for many years predating George (you f*cked it) Bush, Johnny Howard & Blair et al.

It's a shame when in a week when a figure like Whitlam dies (who will always be known for de-demonising Australian foreign policy) we have the Mad Miners Misogynist Monk demonising everywhere: then again, it's what he does best.

(a few edits for spelinj etc)

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Not sure you can blame Bush for Syria at all. That's an at least three way conflict between a ruthless government, Islamist groups and progressive revolutionaries, all of whom would have quite capably existed without US intervention in the region.

Iraq, however, and any further spread of IS? I blame that squarely on the "Coalition of the Drilling".

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

David wrote:
Not sure you can blame Bush for Syria at all. That's an at least three way conflict between a ruthless government, Islamist groups and progressive revolutionaries, all of whom would have quite capably existed without US intervention in the region.

Iraq, however, and any further spread of IS? I blame that squarely on the "Coalition of the Drilling".

Syria didn't occur in a vacuum. There may be significant intra Syrian factors of course but the neighbouring destabilisation / war In Iraq of course impacted on Syria. Islamist groups have taken various forms & have cross fertilised, split & re-formed. For me there's a definite role there.

The stupid Americans have unintentionally allowed the Shi'ites in Iran to prosper, develop & grow. They have had an instrumental role in the conflict in Syria.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:31 pm

While there's probably some truth to that, we can't just point the finger at the US for every Middle Eastern conflict. What about Russia? Iran? Israel? Saudi Arabia? The Assad regime? The progressive protestors in North Africa? Al-Qaeda? All the smaller factions and interest groups?

By being too US-centric in these discussions, we actually risk denying agency to other groups of people, in the end caricaturing them as being a lot more helpless and passive than they are. America could disappear tomorrow (or have never existed) and the world would still be 95% as violent as it is now.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:02 pm

David wrote:
While there's probably some truth to that, we can't just point the finger at the US for every Middle Eastern conflict. What about Russia? Iran? Israel? Saudi Arabia? The Assad regime? The progressive protestors in North Africa? Al-Qaeda? All the smaller factions and interest groups?

By being too US-centric in these discussions, we actually risk denying agency to other groups of people, in the end caricaturing them as being a lot more helpless and passive than they are. America could disappear tomorrow (or have never existed) and the world would still be 95% as violent as it is now.

Where is those big hands clapping.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:43 pm

David wrote:

I think you've misunderstood me or I haven't made myself sufficiently clear. Allow me to disambiguate Razz Wink

I've never said GW et al are entirely responsible for what is going on & never will. Of course there are a lot of factors going on to explain a complex situation. Not only that the explanations are multifactorial. I'm not anti USA foreign policy per se. I much prefer them to have been the victors than the Russkies that's for sure.

However, GW et al played a large part in stuffing up what went on over there. There is a causal link. However to say they wholly are responsible or to attribute that to me is not correct. I've never pointed the finger at the US & that's not what I said in terms of being solely to blame. They did unambiguously play an instrumental role in developing what we have now. (The failure to include the Sunni's in the then new Government of Iraq remains a catastrophic misjudgement & represents one of the dumbest moves made by a US president since the Bay of Pigs).

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Almost everything that went wrong can be laid at the feet of whoever decided it would be a good idea to disband the Iraqi army post war. It's those guys who ran the insurgency because there were no jobs for young Sunnis and being a fighter at least supported them and their families. Those same Sunnis are now fighting for IS in Iraq. Of course there would still be a jihadist movement and Islamist agitation I'm sure, but a trained, effective, happy Iraqi army would've gone a long way to preventing or stopping this kind of thing.

It's my biggest gripe with the whole Iraq conflict. To so easily win a war with so much local and international goodwill then throw it all away with such a ridiculous and obvious **** up still amazes me. It's not just hindsight either, there were plenty of commentators at the time just astounded at that decision.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:54 pm

And, if I may, I only think imperialism is wholly responsible for one thing: Our now direct moral responsibility for what is an interrelated complex of chaos. I have already offered an organic explanation for the causality of this kind of scenario, so it is odd to be told I believe something I simply don't believe.

If you interfere in a region whose sectarian issues were explained to me well enough at the age of 15 in high school, you sure as hell are morally responsible for the ensuing carnage. Moreover, to keep using other people's moral struggles as justification for your own role is just immature deflection; I don't vote in Iraq and Syria, I vote in Australia, meaning the sphere of Australia's actions in the world, notably through its tight foreign policy coupling with the US is my primary moral responsibility. Dealing with *my* moral responsibility as a matter of priority has nothing to do with my technical apportioning of causal factors (would you like me to whip up a quick pathway analysis for you? Wink)

Moreover, not only are we first and above all morally responsible for our own sphere of actions, we are charged with trying to assess them honestly. The overtly negligent, compromised and outright corrupt failures of Iraq demonstrate two critical things when attempting to analyse a world which includes our own subjective selves:

1. It demonstrates the fallacy that we are somehow less capable of violence at a mass scale than Others

2. Its perpetual understatement demonstrates the reflexive ease with which we justify our own actions, and demonize the actions of others, despite our knowledge of our own grossly compromised and outright corrupt actions being matters of clear public record, and the actions of others being hidden beneath, ahem, a veil of distance and layers of paid public relations and sponsored media interests.

If you think you can play a role in an organic complex without taking on responsibility for that role and all of the connective nodes it entails, then you're living in an immature bubble of denial. Even worse when it was trumpeted as a self-appointed "leadership" role of the "willing", no less.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 pm

^ WPT, I don't live in Australia and I was writing more generally about the issue. My point is a well-worn one, and it's that democracy is for those who are in-situ citizens. It is purpose-built to allow those who are incumbent to debate the effects of change on their society, amd one of the greatest changes is the change in values that arises as a result of immigration.

Now, I positively support immigration, I support pluralism, i support playing our part in taking in genuine refugees, and I have no truck with incivility. What I don't support is the attempt to suppress or divert debate about the effects of Islam on our society through the cry of racism and Islamophobia. The burqa, the "kill Rushdie" marches in the Uk through the 80s and 90s, the terrorism problem, and the Imams urging their followers to kill British Jews and British soldiers - all are signs to me that there is something wrong with parts of Islam, and we are importing this.

In a vibrant democracy this will be patiently discussed, weighed, and debated by ordinary men and women who have the right to argue for and against change, up to the point where they seek violence. Instead, such discussion is often howled down by the cry of "islamophobia" or racism. I'm not going to rehash the TP-PTID exchange, as it didn't pass my test of civility in debate, and i think it's better that it be allowed to RiP.

My point about intellectual elites - of which i am presumably a member- is that democracy was designed for the people to make laws, not those who see the world through a certain lens of education, opportunity, global access, or assumptions. If you don't feel that the elites are running way ahead of the people they purport to serve, then i've got a Euro to sell you. If that observation puts me in the same camp as uncle Joe Stalin, well, so does a taste for Georgian cuisine. The last time we shot the breeze together I suggested he might have gone a bit far killing 20 million, but he just grunted and asked me to pass the Souzi.

Final point - I'm genuinely not ducking this, but i've lived away from Australia for a long time, and so I don't have much context to judge. I didn't vote for Abbott, as i disagre with most of his public statements and I loathe his polarising style. I do, however, support close surveillance of Islamic extremism and I do accept that we need to give up some freedom post London, New York, Atocha, Nairobi et al. Perhaps because London is my home, and 55 ordinary Londoners on their way to work were killed on our transport system (with many more maimed) in 2005, I have a sharp sense of what these people want to do. I don't know that Australia gets it yet, even post Bali. Monitoring this should be a major priority for any government. If the Abbott govt is pursuing it hard, then that might be the only policy they have with which I clearly agree.

Sorry for the long post.

NB edited, as usual, at least once for my lousy iPad typing, and for clarity etc.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Mugwump wrote:
...democracy was designed for the people to make laws, not those who see the world through a certain lens of education, opportunity, global access, or assumptions.

No degree of civil tone, however, can save you from that sort of technical howler, Mugwump. Which Homo sapiens have you discovered so far which do not, "...see the world through a certain lens of education, opportunity, global access, or assumptions"? If so, I'd be keen to see fMRI work on the peculiar brains they must have.

Once again, it's one think to formulate an idea in isolation from the world and push it about on the good old imaginary chess board, but it is quite another to demonstrate that idea in earthly manifestation. Fox News all but verbatim said what you have said here when socio-cultural experts repeated what I learned at age 15 in high school, namely that it was ludicrous to get involved in the sectarian complexities of Iraq and its neighbours.

And, guess what? Their equivalents said the same about feminism, the Vietnam War, Mabo, Australia in Asia, global warming, and no doubt another dozen things that will be evident in a decade or two, such as the state-sanctioned rape and torture of the mentally ill in prisons.

The irony here is that you think you're being practical and bringing a balanced tone to proceedings, when in fact many of your "rounded" claims have no earthly representation. Being popular with those surrounding you, excluding at least a handful of the views of the hundreds of millions of people without representation in the matter you're pontificating on, and feeling all warm about that, it is not the same as being realistic or even useful, despite any visceral feelings to the contrary.

This entire scheme of interference was an act of gross negligence at the absolute blindest and naivest minimum interpretation possible. If anyone in your earthly sphere was that negligent where your welfare was concerned, you'd sue the pants off them at the very least.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:00 pm

pietillidie wrote:
And, if I may, I only think imperialism is wholly responsible for one thing: Our now direct moral responsibility for what is an interrelated complex of chaos.

So, err, that'll be everything, then, that's "our" fault ? Glad you only kept it to one thing
Wink

Yes, we have prime responsibility for our sphere of action ; but where does that get you, given that you cannot act at all, without making a judgement about the actions of others ? And given that not acting at all can sometimes be worse than acting, in terms of both humanitarian outcomes and our interests? (qv Serbia and Sierra Leone, where Western military action made a vital humanitarian difference).

This is like the old Cold War Leftist argument - we can only influence the US, so let's direct 90% of our criticism against them, and leave the Russian position out of our calculations (or assume they are relatively benign, and only react to our action). I recognise your point about the asymmetry of our moral judgements. It is both true, and very important - but it doesn't make the "entire interrelated web of chaos" "wholly" our responsibility.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:09 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
...democracy was designed for the people to make laws, not those who see the world through a certain lens of education, opportunity, global access, or assumptions.

No degree of civil tone, however, can save you from that sort of technical howler, Mugwump. Which Homo sapiens have you discovered so far which do not, "...see the world through a certain lens of education, opportunity, global access, or assumptions"? If so, I'd be keen to see fMRI work on the peculiar brains they must have.

Once again, it's one think to formulate an idea in isolation from the world and push it about on the good old imaginary chess board, but it is quite another to demonstrate that idea in earthly manifestation. Fox News all but verbatim said what you have said here when socio-cultural experts repeated what I learned at age 15 in high school, namely that it was ludicrous to get involved in the sectarian complexities of Iraq and its neighbours.

And, guess what? Their equivalents said the same about feminism, the Vietnam War, Mabo, Australia in Asia, global warming, and no doubt another dozen things that will be evident in a decade or two, such as the state-sanctioned rape and torture of the mentally ill in prisons.

The irony here is that you think you're being practical and bringing a balanced tone to proceedings, when in fact many of your "rounded" claims have no earthly representation. Being popular with those surrounding you, excluding at least a handful of the views of the hundreds of millions of people without representation in the matter you're pontificating on, and feeling all warm about that, it is not the same as being realistic or even useful, despite any visceral feelings to the contrary.

This entire scheme of interference was an act of gross negligence at the absolute blindest and naivest minimum interpretation possible. If anyone in your earthly sphere was that negligent where your welfare was concerned sue the pants off them at the very least.

Since this is ad-hominem stuff impugning my motivation, I think it's best if I ignore most of that. Suffice it to say that you know perfectly well that what i wrote was no "technical howler" in the context. Twist the context all you like, the point stands.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

This entire scheme of interference was an act of gross negligence at the absolute blindest and naivest minimum interpretation possible. If anyone in your earthly sphere was that negligent where your welfare was concerned sue the pants off them at the very least.

Since this is ad-hominem stuff impugning my motivation, I think it's best if I ignore most of that. Suffice it to say that you know perfectly well that what i wrote was no "technical howler" in the context. Twist the context all you like, the point stands.

Sorry, if it's not a howler, what is it? A brain fade? (They happen to us all). A meaningless cliche about a macro-socio-political phenomenon most people otherwise can't describe? Pray explain what your words meant, or even modify them as part of an ongoing pub dialogue where it is quite natural to backtrack and explain ideas left dangling in the chain of discourse. I'd be the last to hold anyone to informal dialogue if they said as much.

And if you're unwilling to enter the space of the Other, then how can you claim any authority in a matter concerning the Other? The biggest irony here is that you think I'm over-focusing on the actions of the Coalition of Willing Which Now Pretends it was Unwilling, when if my memory serves me correctly, I am one of the very few making an effort to incorporate the POV and Sitz im Leben of the Other into a discussion of life-and-death matters concerning the Other centred largely on the extremely remote socio-geographic space of the Other.

Think about it. If what is said about Muslims in the UK is so trite, exaggerated and statistically unrepresentative, how much greater the nonsense spoken about the Middle East? I mean, strutting pontificators like the late Hitchens couldn't even explain the religion in his very own midst with any sense of realistic, scientific sophistication, so what hope did he have explaining the Middle East, Central Asia and Russia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 34 of 128   

Jump to: