Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
This article lends weight to some of the arguments I've been making in this thread re: "foreign fighter" concerns.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/25/isis-threatens-kill-british-jihadis-wanting-to-come-home

Ummmm what?

Some of the people who went over to fight but not for ISIS and got embroiled by them are now stuck and can't get out? What was your point?

That the thousands (sorry, hundreds; sorry, tens) of people jetting off from Australia to fight for ISIS are not coming back any time soon—at least, not to fight. Far from being radicalised, it seems they're becoming disillusioned or simply killed.

So, where exactly is the national emergency that's requiring all these harsh anti-terrorism measures?

I seriously hope for your sake that you never experience the reason why.

I seriously hope you never suffer the effects of a brutal extraterrestrial invasion, too, but that doesn't mean I'd support a mandatory tinfoil hat policy.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:18 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
This article lends weight to some of the arguments I've been making in this thread re: "foreign fighter" concerns.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/25/isis-threatens-kill-british-jihadis-wanting-to-come-home

Ummmm what?

Some of the people who went over to fight but not for ISIS and got embroiled by them are now stuck and can't get out? What was your point?

That the thousands (sorry, hundreds; sorry, tens) of people jetting off from Australia to fight for ISIS are not coming back any time soon—at least, not to fight. Far from being radicalised, it seems they're becoming disillusioned or simply killed.

So, where exactly is the national emergency that's requiring all these harsh anti-terrorism measures?

I seriously hope for your sake that you never experience the reason why.

I seriously hope you never suffer the effects of a brutal extraterrestrial invasion, too, but that doesn't mean I'd support a mandatory tinfoil hat policy.

Quote of the year thus far! Very Happy Laughing

The conservative tactic here is to make you feel like its your fault if there's an attack, even though we know full well that the risk of terrorism has been greatly increased by idiotic invasions, natural resource theft, support for despots, and all manner of sovereign interference the right forever and a day keeps cheering on. Not to mention we all accept that a percentage of individual acts of terrorism perpetrated by a percentage of extreme psychiatries is probably un-stoppable no matter what is done.

Yep, you heard right: The words emanating from your mouth have more agency than trillions of dollars of military invasion, orgiastic natural resource theft, and decades of despot love-ins and sovereign contempt, plus the responsibility of the entire national security apparatus.

It's all about your flippant liberal attitude, young man!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am

^ well, yes, a percentage are certainly unstoppable, but i also believe that a significant number of atrocities in the UK have been stopped by the security services. Since one of the victims might have been one my children, and this is still a very good and liberal place in which to live, i'd say th balance is probably ok at the moment - though I do not know enough about the Australian laws to know whether they are right over there.

As regards invasions and support for despots, there is probably some truth in that. My suspicion, however, is that the Al Qaedas and would-be theocrats of the world hate the liberal democracies not because of what we do, but because of what we are - secular, sexually accepting, scientific and sceptical, powerful and - well - liberal. All of these things stand as an existential negative to their closed, masculine, priest-ridden, punitive and regressive rage against the modern world. If that hypothesis is true, then whatever we do, they will find grounds to murder us.

[/b]

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 am

But it's genuine anger that gives these organisations any power to begin with—the sort of anger that comes from more than just envy, or moral disapproval. Without that, organisations like Al Qaeda would be little more than the Westboro Baptist Church of the Muslim world.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am

^ Sure, but what's not entirely clear is the source of the anger - is it what we do, or their frustration with their own societies displaced onto the "other" called the West ? The Nazis had genuine anger against the Jews too. It was displaced anger for Versailles, for hyperinflation, for the Depression, for the weakness and strife of Weimar. But it was far easier to blame the "other".

Because of the geopolitics of oil and the Israeli lobby in the Us, there has been enough Western involvement in the ME to feed this anger - but at least one deep source is the failure of Islam and almost all Arab governments to meet the modern world. Were the people who marched in favour of killing Rushdie in Birmingham in 1985 protesting against Western involvement in Iraq, or even (more arguably) Iran? I don't think so. The anger is real, and so are the bombs that may yet explode on our scapegoated streets - but that does not make it what it purports to be.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:36 am

David wrote:
But it's genuine anger that gives these organisations any power to begin with—the sort of anger that comes from more than just envy, or moral disapproval. Without that, organisations like Al Qaeda would be little more than the Westboro Baptist Church of the Muslim world.

Don't see too many baptists on the news demanding other country's change their historic rules to suit the newbies, but that's just me.

I never really took much interest in the New World Order, I thought they were a pop group, but with all the ISIS statements of late, I'm starting to think Pa Marmo is no so far off.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Don't see too many baptists on the news demanding other country's change their historic rules to suit the newbies, but that's just me.

I never really took much interest in the New World Order, I thought they were a pop group, but with all the ISIS statements of late, I'm starting to think Pa Marmo is no so far off.

Actually, the Westboro Baptists are a political lobby of sorts (albeit a not overly successful one, due to everybody hating them).

The 'real' baptists, on the other hand, are a huge political force over in the US, and yes, they play a huge role in getting laws changed to benefit a small minority of people (the difference between them and Australian Muslims being that the Christian laws actually a) exist and b) cause harm to others).

As for the pop group, that's New Order, and I have to admit I still have a soft spot for them. Not so much for fruity conspiracy theorists.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:43 pm

The USA is a Christian country, it is not changing laws for an immigrant religious minority, it is sticking to the ideals upon which it is founded.

If Westboro or any other Baptists went to, lets say Saudi Arabia, and started to agitate for changes in the law to make the country more Christian they'd be hanging from a lamp post before sunset.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Wokko wrote:
The USA is a Christian country, it is not changing laws for an immigrant religious minority, it is sticking to the ideals upon which it is founded.

If Westboro or any other Baptists went to, lets say Saudi Arabia, and started to agitate for changes in the law to make the country more Christian they'd be hanging from a lamp post before sunset.

Excellent point and it's the view I share for Australia.

If you want to put your extremist religious views ahead of being Australian and can't abide living within the constraints and values modern Australia was founded on two hundred years ago then bugger off to one of the many Muslim countries that will welcome you will open arms and live freely the way you want to.

No one is forcing you to migrate here and if you were born here and still hold views of Muslim extremism then what the bloody hell is wrong with you.

It's bloody fortunate to be born in this country and a privilege to live within this peaceful nation.

If you don't like it, it's people and values then piss off.

P.S-Mind your head on the way out.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Excellent point and it's the view I share for Australia.

If you want to put your extremist religious views ahead of being Australian and can't abide living within the constraints and values modern Australia was founded on two hundred years ago then bugger off to one of the many Muslim countries that will welcome you will open arms and live freely the way you want to.

No one is forcing you to migrate here and if you were born here and still hold views of Muslim extremism then what the bloody hell is wrong with you.

It's bloody fortunate to be born in this country and a privilege to live within this peaceful nation.

If you don't like it, it's people and values then piss off.

P.S-Mind your head on the way out.

Well now I'm actually cheering like an American cheer leader! Oh yeah!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Sorry, what? Being "Australian" is abiding by 200-year-old principles? Uh, yeah, if you still see us as a convict outpost for a society that believed in slavery, child labour, public hangings and only suffrage for upper-class men.

Jesus. If you honestly believe that that's what this country is all about in the 21st century, some of the extremists going off to fight for ISIS are more Australian than you.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm

David wrote:

How much of the anger is real and how much manufactured?

Keep in mind, the leaders of these organisations want power. That's their end game. The rest of the knuckleheads they recruit go there for a variety of reasons.

You assume that "genuine anger" somehow means their anger is justified. The two don't go together. It's totally individual situation dependant.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 pm

I definitely don't think it's wholly justified, but I don't think it's wholly unjustified, either. You've got to remember that the resentment isn't just about US foreign policy decisions, but the long history of European colonisation and partitions. If you understand how a lot of Aborigines feel about white Australia, you'll understand at least some of the resentment felt by Middle Eastern Muslims about the West in general.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 pm

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Sorry, what? Being "Australian" is abiding by 200-year-old principles? Uh, yeah, if you still see us as a convict outpost for a society that believed in slavery, child labour, public hangings and only suffrage for upper-class men.

Jesus. If you honestly believe that that's what this country is all about in the 21st century, some of the extremists going off to fight for ISIS are more Australian than you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 pm

David wrote:
I definitely don't think it's wholly justified, but I don't think it's wholly unjustified, either. You've got to remember that the resentment isn't just about US foreign policy decisions, but the long history of European colonisation and partitions. If you understand how a lot of Aborigines feel about white Australia, you'll understand at least some of the resentment felt by Middle Eastern Muslims about the West in general.

Apples and oranges. Geez you're keen to search for positives on the anti western anti capitalist side of things. Is that to help justify your own beliefs about the current system?

Some of the kids who went over to Syria to fight or acted up here were born and/or raised here. This over seas oppression never happened to them. It happened to their family who think the kids are dickheads.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 26 of 128   

Jump to: