Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Thirdly, great to see the general condemnation of this mob from the mainstream Islamic leaders and general people. That message needs to keep being hammered the same way our politicians refer to them as a terrorist organisation, cult, everything except Islamic. They can call themselves an Islamic movement, I can call myself an elm tree, doesn't make it happen.

I don't quite buy into this discourse, I have to say. I mean, I understand the use of it—both for moderate Islamic groups and authorities trying to hose down Islamic prejudice—but surely anyone with a brain can see that it's blatantly false. IS are Islamic just as Fred Nile is a Christian. Neither are representative of the mainstream, and that needs to be emphasised at all costs, but that doesn't mean that we need to treat people like idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 pm

I'd like to see people stop making excuses and apologising for these terrorists.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:26 pm

1061 wrote:
I'd like to see people stop making excuses and apologising for these terrorists.

exactly right, thats exactly what they are and exactly what needs to stop.

to be exact!!

kill them all, and show them of video of ugly virgins first!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

to be exact!!

Nah, put em in a cage & let them fight it out to the death with a lot of cocks & dogs watching on Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

to be exact!!

Nah, put em in a cage & let them fight it out to the death with a lot of cocks & dogs watching on Wink

How about show them a video of sexy virgins then put them in a cage and see what they do.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

to be exact!!

I can live with that!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:17 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

to be exact!!

I can live with that!

I had an image of a Michael Leunig Cartoon. Exclamation

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm

think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

to be exact!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:53 pm

hehehe love it!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The "Islamic State" wants to establish a worldwide caliphate

Do you have a source for the "worldwide" claim?

I've put a source up for it at least twice. Confused

Edit:

Here.

http://www.aymennjawad.org/14151/the-islamic-state-of-iraq-and-al-sham

http://nypost.com/2014/10/14/isis-the-whole-world-will-be-an-islamic-state/

http://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/the-islamic-state-of-iraq-and-ash-sham-wider-goals.pdf

OK, granted. But read this from the first link:

Quote:
This ideology aims firstly to reestablish a system of governance known as the Caliphate–an Islamic form of government that first came into being after Muhammad's death under Abu Bakr and saw its last manifestation in the Ottoman Empire–across the entire Muslim world. From there, the intention is to spread the Caliphate across the entire world.

So yeah, you might call this the "long game". Shocked

Yeah, long game but Jezza is and was 100% correct, the end goal is a Islamic world.

The point then isn't about how feasible that is but what it says about their mindset and keep in mind that when they say Islamic they mean their particular narrow interpretation of "Islam". So everyone who isn't onboard with them is an infidel and up for being killed.

Thanks for providing those links Stui! It pretty much backs up the view of ISIS wanting to establish a worldwide Islamic caliphate no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

Even the 17 year old Australian who's travelled to Syria to fight with the group even suggested this recurring theme of worldwide domination that the group preaches.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Dare I say there's probably a bit of a gap between what the youngest and most impressionable members fantasise about and what the actual serious plans of the people in charge are*. Forgive me if Ginger's ramblings don't exactly fill me with mortal dread.

*And yes, Stui, I mean real plans. ISIS can claim they want to conquer the moon if they please; it doesn't mean I'd be in favour of setting up a missile defence system in the Sea of Tranquility.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 am

As I've said David, the objectives they've outlined are futile and laughable but it doesn't mean we shouldn't take the advancement into Iraq and Syria seriously either. What's going on in Iraq and Syria is extremely serious and concerning not only because many lives of people like Shias, Kurds, Yazidis and Christians are under extreme threat but because they could pose a greater problem within the region beyond the two countries threatened such as Jordan, Lebanon, Iran (who I'm certain could defend themselves comfortably) and the longer the caliphate remains in power, the more credible the Islamic State and the leader will be amongst his legion of supporters and this could potentially invoke greater number of support for the group as shocking as it may sound.

They're a dangerous group with supporters and sympathisers in Western countries and these people may pose a threat to civilian safety as we saw in Canada yesterday or even in England when Lee Rigby was hacked to death by two Islamic extremists. I'm unsure of the position I hold on this issue in terms of the involvement Australia should have on this conflict but it seems much more credible when the Iraqi government wants our help and assistance as opposed to forcing our way into the country like the Coalition of the willing did back in 2003. That I'm sure we can agree on was a mistake in hindsight and an unjust war.

Last edited by Jezza on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:37 am

Do you mean your name is he or she've said David the objectives they've outlined futile and laughable but it doesn't mean we shouldn't take the advancement into Iraq and Syria either are futile and laughable but it doesn't mean we shouldn't take the advancement into Iraq and Syria ?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

I definitely agree that we should take their activities in Iraq and Syria seriously (and I'm a cautious supporter of Western intervention), but that's a long way from them being an existential threat to us. Frankly, I think people have grossly overestimated their abilities.

This is an interesting article on the (ongoing) IS attack on the Syrian town of Kobane, which is being defended pretty much single-handedly (and so far quite competently) by YPG Kurds:

http://pando.com/2014/10/16/the-war-nerd-nobody-could-have-predicted-islamic-states-retreat-from-kobane-except-me/

(Can't vouch for the accuracy of that piece, but the writer seems to be following the conflict more closely than most.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Quote:
Canadian parliament attack: the identical terror threat facing Canada and Australia

Canada and Australia have both featured prominently in the Islamic State's online diatribes, in which the group urges its global followers to kill.
But the similarities don't end there.
Security was ramped up at Parliament House after terror raids in NSW and Queensland in September.
They are both parliamentary democracies whose leaders have vocally and materially backed international action against the Islamic State, with small but devoted extremist networks at home and some dozens of citizens currently fighting with jihadist groups in the Middle East. They both have tight gun laws and have ramped up security at their parliaments and government buildings in response to the current heightened threat.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/canadian-parliament-attack-the-identical-terror-threat-facing-canada-and-australia-20141023-11afb0.html#ixzz3Gx72xWEN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 24 of 128   

Jump to: