Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ I don't understand what you are trying to convey by your first paragraph. Do you intend to convey that it would have been somehow a less terrible atrocity if it hadn't been at a university? Or that it would have been somehow less disturbing to read if it had been a deliberate attempt to kill Muslims?

While the loss of life is just as tragic as it would have been had the atrocity been committed in a shopping centre or public place, there is something additionally disturbing about it occurring at a university. This is not just an attack on innocent people, but an assault on education and free thought. Scaring people away from an institution of learning suits the goals of an anti-intellectual organisation quite well. After all, they owe their existence to stupid people.

That'd be "yes" to my first question, then, so far as you're concerned?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 am

Not necessarily—as an isolated crime, it's about on par with any other senseless mass killing. The "additionally disturbing" part for me was what it represented and what the aim was. Does that make it more of an atrocity? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how you define these things.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:26 am

David wrote:
Not necessarily—as an isolated crime, it's about on par with any other senseless mass killing. The "additionally disturbing" part for me was what it represented and what the aim was. Does that make it more of an atrocity? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how you define these things.

David, you are tieing yourself up in knots here. On par with any other senseless mass killing, yet additionally disturbing was the aim. Can't be senseless mass killing if it has an aim?

Can we just leave it at the murder of innocents is always an atrocity and don't try to qualify it in any way, whether it be students at a university, planes being flown into mountains or governments murdering their own citizens in their own killing fields.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
David wrote:

David, you are tieing yourself up in knots here. On par with any other senseless mass killing, yet additionally disturbing was the aim. Can't be senseless mass killing if it has an aim?

Can we just leave it at the murder of innocents is always an atrocity and don't try to qualify it in any way, whether it be students at a university, planes being flown into mountains or governments murdering their own citizens in their own killing fields.

Bravo

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:21 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
David wrote:

OK, let me throw this over to you: is a misdirected military attack that kills 200 people by mistake less of an atrocity than a terrorist attack targeting a pro-democracy protest that kills the same number? Why or why not?

And is either more of a tragedy than if 200 people are killed in an earthquake?

That is, does intent make things worse, and if so, do some intentions matter more than others?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Of course intent s worse

And yes there's degrees of bad

Gees common sense says that

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Which completely contradicts the post you just "bravoed".

I don't think I'm the one who's confused here. Confused

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:31 pm

David wrote:

No it doesn't and yes you are.

Simple. Smile

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:33 pm

David wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
David wrote:

OK, let me throw this over to you: is a misdirected military attack that kills 200 people by mistake less of an atrocity than a terrorist attack targeting a pro-democracy protest that kills the same number? Why or why not?

That is, does intent make things worse, and if so, do some intentions matter more than others?

David that is exactly the point. The murder of innocents is what makes it so bad. Whether they be at a university, church, school whatever is irrelevant, it is all equally disturbing. The atrocity is the murder of the innocents.

You are correct if you are trying to say that the intention to murder makes something worse than in the case of natural disasters and accidents, in which case I would agree.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:42 pm

think positive wrote:
Of course intent s worse

Be careful think positive, do we really want to introduce common sense to VPT😀
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:44 pm

We have never talked about it before.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:47 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
think positive wrote:
Of course intent s worse

Doesn't make any difference, those posts will be deleted anyway

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:54 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
David wrote:

David that is exactly the point. The murder of innocents is what makes it so bad. Whether they be at a university, church, school whatever is irrelevant, it is all equally disturbing. The atrocity is the murder of the innocents.

You are correct if you are trying to say that the intention to murder makes something worse than in the case of natural disasters and accidents, in which case I would agree.

So a deliberate, planned murder is a worse atrocity than an accident that kills the same number of people. If so, why is it such a stretch to suggest that some mass murders are worse than other mass murders?

I've had a think about this, and I reckon the answer is quite simple. Take a consequentialist approach, and the main harm is still the killing of innocents. But think about the impact on the rest of the society in an isolated incident as occurred to a targeted attack intended to scare people away from pursuing an education.

The first = x number of people dead, friends and relatives grieving
The second = x number of people dead, friends and relatives grieving, an entire society living in fear.

At least in theory, I think it's fair to say that the second is worse than the first.

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

No it doesn't and yes you are.

Simple. Smile

OK, perhaps you can explain to me how these two statements are not contradictory.

thebaldfacts wrote:
Can we just leave it at the murder of innocents is always an atrocity and don't try to qualify it in any way

think positive wrote:
Of course intent s worse

I agree with think positive Mark II, by the way.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Doc63 wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
think positive wrote:
Of course intent s worse

Doesn't make any difference, those posts will be deleted anyway

Heheheheheheheheheehehehehehehehe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 92 of 128   

Jump to: