Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Exactly. Slippery slope arguments are often dumb and unnecessary in a liberal democracy like ours. What's the next step if we let Muslim women wear burqas in public; Sharia Law in Coburg? We should have enough faith in our ability to debate these issues on their own merit; otherwise, we may as well live in a dictatorship.

The men in burkas will blow people up.

Well you asked

You'll be able to tell it's a bloke in the Burqua by the little bulge in the front when they walk past the bikini clad chicks at the pool. Wink

Is that C-4 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.
Either way I don't want to be around when it goes off.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm

ISIS on the brink of losing Tikrit?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/31/iraqi-forces-recapture-government-headquarters-in-tikrit-from-isis

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks for getting the thread back on track, Jezza. Great news.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:02 pm

ISIS backwards is SI-SI which is Spanish for yes-yes.

think about that?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 pm

No no
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:32 am

Al Shabab killing over a hundred Christians and releasing Muslims in Kenya. Only 4 gunman reported. They said they will attack their Uni's and they did.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Damn Christians trying to get an education.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 pm

This is a terrible atrocity in Kenya considering university is a place of ideas and tolerance and students should be able to feel safe while attending. The deliberate attempt to kill Christian students and non-Muslims is very disturbing to read.

The group responsible in Al-Shabaab (currently affiliated with Al-Qaeda, not ISIS) were also the perpetrators of the Nairobi shopping mall massacre back in 2013 so they've developed a notorious reputation in Somalia and Kenya. Recently they also made threats of carrying out attacks in Westfield Shopping Centres back in February which consisted of shopping towns in England, New Zealand, Italy, Australia and other countries where such malls exist because one of the reasons cited for such a threat towards Westfield is that the corporation is owned by Frank Lowy (an Australian-Jewish businessman). However the threat is still viewed as being low and unlikely to occur and is mainly a propaganda tactic to encourage and incite lone-wolf terror attacks in Western countries.

Back onto the topic of ISIS latest news reports suggest that they've been practically driven out of Tikrit as Iraqi government forces and Shia militias have assumed control of the town after ISIS took over the town back in June last year so it's a big breakthrough for anti-ISIS coalition, and while this is a setback for ISIS I don't see it as severely detrimental for them for the reasons that sectarianism is still rampant in towns like Tikrit and ISIS still has control of the second-largest city in Mosul along with much control in northern Syria but I guess it's a start.

Overall there's still reports suggesting that ISIS hasn't been completely driven out of Tikrit yet but the group's presence in the town is very small now.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:11 am

^^^ I don't understand what you are trying to convey by your first paragraph. Do you intend to convey that it would have been somehow a less terrible atrocity if it hadn't been at a university? Or that it would have been somehow less disturbing to read if it had been a deliberate attempt to kill Muslims?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:23 pm

No of course not.

In regards to the first part of my paragraph I'm saying that in an unexpected environment like in a university campus it's terrible that such an act of violence can occur like this in this day and age. If it happened outside of a university campus elsewhere of course the violent act would have been deplorable to hear and witness.

In regards to the second part of my paragraph the point I'm trying to ascertain is that the perpetrators deliberately set out to target a certain group of people. I found that highly disturbing to read but it's no different if a Christian fundamentalist was targeting Muslims only on a university campus and if that was to ever occur I'd be the first to condemn it and feel outraged to see such violence occur in the first place.

The overall point of my first paragraph was to outline my condemnation of the violent act and I was merely pointing out that this occurred in an environment where you wouldn't expect such violence of this proportion to occur in and secondly the selected of killing people was highly methodical and disturbing to read regardless if the victims were Muslims and Non-Muslims.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ I don't understand what you are trying to convey by your first paragraph. Do you intend to convey that it would have been somehow a less terrible atrocity if it hadn't been at a university? Or that it would have been somehow less disturbing to read if it had been a deliberate attempt to kill Muslims?

While the loss of life is just as tragic as it would have been had the atrocity been committed in a shopping centre or public place, there is something additionally disturbing about it occurring at a university. This is not just an attack on innocent people, but an assault on education and free thought. Scaring people away from an institution of learning suits the goals of an anti-intellectual organisation quite well. After all, they owe their existence to stupid people.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Well-said David! You've articulated my thoughts better than I have here.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Nigeria is exactly the kind of place for a religious massacre occur.

fwiw... Campus massacres aren't the sole Provenance of the third world...

http://www.inquisitr.com/441261/ten-deadliest-school-massacres-in-united-states-history/
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:10 pm

The common thread being they are all nut job oxygen thieves

The difference being Isis killed those who couldn't recite the koran

If you want to do your usual slag off the USA, think Timothy mcveigh of the klu klux clan

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:50 pm

I wasn't slagging off the US!
I was merely pointing out that assaults on education and free thought (that David and Jeeza find so abhorrent is something that is happening all over the world.

David wrote:
there is something additionally disturbing about it occurring at a university. This is not just an attack on innocent people, but an assault on education and free thought. Scaring people away from an institution of learning suits the goals of an anti-intellectual organisation quite well.

Think Positive wrote:
The difference being Isis killed those who couldn't recite the koran.

it was Al Shabab not ISIS.
(Not that it matters, a lunatic nut-job is a lunatic nut-job no matter what religion (or lack of) they profess to support.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 91 of 128   

Jump to: