Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the collective noun for a group of people whose IQs would all be raised by being beheaded?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 pm

A clutch of left wingers
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

The sad thing for me is watching people be completely unaware of the pain and stress out there. Is it a willful ignorance, or the new social autism?

You now have whole communities being ostracised and living in fear due to the indiscriminate and ignorant chest beating against all Muslims, and the stubborn, unethical refusal to distinguish between extremist political sects and other people groups.

Why should my Algerian Berber friend and his family live in fear of violent targeting and social maligning when he's a better citizen than most non-Muslims? Why should they be dehumanised and live in fear because undisciplined, unethical arses are allowed to rouse the populous and aggressive mobs against them? When people do that in the workplace we view it as the unethical and discriminatory constraint of trade it actually is.

Those who callously spout on without regard for his wife's fear and children's stress are ignorant thugs. You don't know any moderate Muslims who watch Eastenders or whose kids love Home and Away because all you know about the world is what passes across the screens of hysteria in your house.

If you bother to get out there and observe and chat, you will find nothing new. You will find a conservative right; a nutty far right; a dumb, rebellious far left; a more fearful and conservative first generation of immigrants; shy mothers with kids who want ice-cream and toys; young teens hanging about in the mall embarrassed by their parents; young people working hard to qualify for a good career; petrol heads; football fanatics; gangs in baseball caps; old blokes drinking tea and discussing politics; rebel young girls covered in makeup and pissing off dad and grandad; hard workers who leave in the dark and get home in the dark; bums who sponge off the system; spoiled brats whose parents let them get away with murder; and on and on.

Judging people without doing due diligence is a disgrace. Conflating evil scum from chaotic wartorn lands with average Joes is a disgrace. Refusing to acknowledge the effects of years of TV and social hysteria, and refusing to become genuinely educated on a topic you keep crapping on about, is a disgrace. Pretending there is no spectrum out there across generations and sub-groups is a disgrace. Pushing average Joes and generations in transition towards the welcoming arms of fanatics through bullying is a disgrace.

This is ignorant, cowardly stuff which makes innocent lives miserable, and generates self-fulfiling counter-fundamentalism.

It's the same mindset which was manipulated to push through the Iraq War, and the same mindset which will struggle to deal with China and the broader realities of the shrinking world. It is also the same ignorant mindset which cannot grasp the rapidly-mutating global economy; a psychology which clings to outdated, simplistic categories and self conceptions in defense while the reality takes on new forms.

One minute alternative energy is a fantasy of environmentalist extremists, the next minute solar technology prices plummet and people have geothermal units in their house. One minute immigration is evil, the next minute it is needed to deal with an ageing population and polarised job structure. One minute an entire people are terrorist fanatics, the next minute they're huge trade partners and the future of exports. And on and on with the dumb, defensive reactions which cause unnecessary suffering and economic loss while the world moves on regardless.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
A clutch of left wingers

A Rinehart of right wingers??

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Skids, Pa Marmo & Senator Lambie on Islam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZignPUwvvPU

Funny you should mention that.

Quote:
Jacqui Lambie receives beheading threat, ordering her to help implement Sharia law in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-01/lambie-threatened-with-beheading/6271732

I thought there were less drastic ways to raise the IQ of the senate Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What's the collective noun for a group of people whose IQs would all be raised by being beheaded?

(sorry, posted my reply to stui - then I saw your comment) Laughing Embarassed

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

That is red card-able by virtue of breaking Australian vilification law and bringing Nick's into serious disrepute. Skids, stick to investing; stop wasting your time bullying ordinary folk just to be an unethical arse. That causing minorities stress and hardship, including children, seems to be a bit of a sport for you is cause for serious concern.

How am i bullying anyone? Including children .? ?

I just don't believe what a lot of you on here do.

Did something get deleted? What's wrong with your post? And how many children read nicks?

Causing an atmosphere of hatred and prejudice against vulnerable minorities by willfully misrepresenting them in public is a form of violence. It's trivial to us because we are not vulnerable, but you have to try to view the broad scope of folk out there who are just trying to get by in life more objectively. There's a lot of real, damaging social stress out there being worn by innocent people.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Oh I totally agree. I'm damaged every time I cop a sarcastic comment because someone thinks my opinion is ignorant. Or my gramma ain't right. Or they just plain disagree, but feel the need to try and change my opinion by speaking down to me, or trying to! Ah, but I'm not special, I'm the aforementioned average jo! so who cares.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:56 pm

think positive wrote:
Oh I totally agree. I'm damaged every time I cop a sarcastic comment because someone thinks my opinion is ignorant. Or my gramma ain't right. Or they just plain disagree, but feel the need to try and change my opinion by speaking down to me, or trying to! Ah, but I'm not special, I'm the aforementioned average jo! so who cares.

But that's an interpersonal matter. The prejudicial vilifying of people groups, and the damaging of their social well-being on the basis of religion, ethnicity, residential status, appearance, and so on, is quite a different issue.

If you want to talk about the topic of your personal feelings rather than the well-being of Muslim people groups, please go ahead.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:44 pm

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:

But that's an interpersonal matter. The prejudicial vilifying of people groups, and the damaging of their social well-being on the basis of religion, ethnicity, residential status, appearance, and so on, is quite a different issue.

If you want to talk about the topic of your personal feelings rather than the well-being of Muslim people groups, please go ahead.

I don't disagree with you in general - I work in the most cultural diverse community in Victoria and probably Australia ( but I dont have stats to support that).

Every time a Muslim nut job does something bad - there is always a nut job willing to vilify read abuse folk that they can identify as Muslim - and let's face it most of the time that is women. Have had some charmers yell shite and spit at some of my colleagues - but hell they yell shite and spit at anyone who is Asian looking, black, yellow, too well dressed, etc etc - they are just nut jobs -no particular target for these charmers - anyone will do!!

BUT there a huge number of ordinary every day folk who don't tolerate this behaviour and I don't think you or David give these folk and in my neck of the woods they are the majority- any credit at all - not that it deserves credit - it is how it should be.

And just as there a number of charmers who spew their venom at all - you need to understand there a number of Muslim people mainly men who spew the same venom - and no one should have to accept that either!

We are not all stupid and ignorant folk who form our opinions based on what the latest wave of terrorist is up to or what the media tells us to fear or hate - there are issues with some and in some areas many Muslim people in our community wanting to impose their beliefs and culture on the community as a whole whether you choose to belief it or not ( and seeing you don't live here not sure how you would actually know) - in my opinion and in my experience it is that ( apart from the charmers) that fuels anti- Islam feelings - not the threat of ISIS, beheadings et al - tolerance and acceptance is a two way street!!!!!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 pm

^ yes, that's a very sensible post, Morrigu. I think that's how most level-headed Australians feel.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 pm

To be fair, Morrigu works in an environment that would make most level headed Australians heads explode. They just would not cope with it.

She is as left as anyone here in ideology, but has the intelligence to temper ideology with reality.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:24 pm

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

That is red card-able by virtue of breaking Australian vilification law and bringing Nick's into serious disrepute. Skids, stick to investing; stop wasting your time bullying ordinary folk just to be an unethical arse. That causing minorities stress and hardship, including children, seems to be a bit of a sport for you is cause for serious concern.

How am i bullying anyone? Including children .? ?

I just don't believe what a lot of you on here do.

Did something get deleted? What's wrong with your post? And how many children read nicks?

Causing an atmosphere of hatred and prejudice against vulnerable minorities by willfully misrepresenting them in public is a form of violence. It's trivial to us because we are not vulnerable, but you have to try to view the broad scope of folk out there who are just trying to get by in life more objectively. There's a lot of real, damaging social stress out there being worn by innocent people.

Re the above, not sure how that needed saying, when Thi s was all I was asking, but hey, ok

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Well I can never remeber if I'm supposed to be left or right, I'm thinking I'm left handed and was the opposite, so I guess I'm right. Hey I'm always right, just ask me. But whatever. From what I can see in my area, Ive never seen anyone abused for being a Muslim. Or anything else, except back in the good old days of high school and the local sharpies vs the wogs. I'm sure it happens. Lots of things happen. But how rife is it? I'm pretty sure most folk don't think everyone in a headscarf is a wannabe terrorist, anymore than every Muslim man is a wife beater. My kids went to a catholic school, one of the teachers is gay, (at least one), and there was more than one girl not afraid to let people know that's the way she was born. Big difference between hardcore and everyday leanings. My nephew is prolly the most racist redneck I know, but he ain't particulaly bright either. (Not my side of the family!) cheers
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Morrigu wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:

I don't disagree with you in general - I work in the most cultural diverse community in Victoria and probably Australia ( but I dont have stats to support that).

Every time a Muslim nut job does something bad - there is always a nut job willing to vilify read abuse folk that they can identify as Muslim - and let's face it most of the time that is women. Have had some charmers yell shite and spit at some of my colleagues - but hell they yell shite and spit at anyone who is Asian looking, black, yellow, too well dressed, etc etc - they are just nut jobs -no particular target for these charmers - anyone will do!!

BUT there a huge number of ordinary every day folk who don't tolerate this behaviour and I don't think you or David give these folk and in my neck of the woods they are the majority- any credit at all - not that it deserves credit - it is how it should be.

And just as there a number of charmers who spew their venom at all - you need to understand there a number of Muslim people mainly men who spew the same venom - and no one should have to accept that either!

We are not all stupid and ignorant folk who form our opinions based on what the latest wave of terrorist is up to or what the media tells us to fear or hate - there are issues with some and in some areas many Muslim people in our community wanting to impose their beliefs and culture on the community as a whole whether you choose to belief it or not ( and seeing you don't live here not sure how you would actually know) - in my opinion and in my experience it is that ( apart from the charmers) that fuels anti- Islam feelings - not the threat of ISIS, beheadings et al - it's a two way street!!!!!

For starters, I live in a town in the UK with a very strong Muslim population and I make multicultural friends very easily and broach these topics openly, so i don't think I'm making stuff up. And if I do have an area of expertise based on life experience, it probably is intercultural relations!

What you say makes perfect sense, so I'm not sure what the area of disagreement is. My mother volunteered to help the government settle Vietnamese immigrants into the Springvale area back in the day, and she relates nothing different at all to what you're saying. Read the old materials on it, too, and it looks identical. Go back further to the influx of Greek and Italian immigrants, and the text is also remarkably similar.

So, let me make it clear I don't think first-generation immigration is pretty. You should see the redneck buffoons who arrive in Korea from Anglo countries and hang out in expat areas, beating up locals, harassing women, getting into fights with each other, refusing to pay taxi drivers--horrific! I avoided them like the plague and still got spat on a few times by drunk bastards saying "Yankee go home!" in Korean!

So, yes, early immigration is messy and ugly.

But you have to weigh that against the many benefits of immigration, and the fact you know the difficulties associated with each new wave of immigrants will pass. With that in mind, you're gravely underestimating the vulnerability of minorities, and the weight of hysterical media and social content. Remember, the context is this: A very small minority currently undergoing the stresses and rigours of social integration are the subject of a constant and overwhelming barrage of threatening social interactions, and oppressive and vilifying content. That's the primary social context.

Of course, the deceitful media barrage non-Muslims and Muslims alike are subject to in regard to terrorism and security is definitely stress-causing, agreed. I can empathise with that, but as comfortable, non-minority members of society, we can deal with that by calling the media out, and indeed filtering them out by separating the insane from the vaguely sane.

Newcomers under stress are trying to integrate; to get the lay of the land and fit in. The barrage of content and hysteria works on integrating minority peoples in a quite different way and oppressive way. We know this because the data and experimental evidence has mapped the stresses quite extensively already. these stresses are real and physical.

The worst you or I have to put up with (outside your specialist work) is the odd Internet dispute or argument down the pub, or an unexpected awkward encounter with someone in cultural dress. Yes, it's a stress, but we at least have the standing to question and confront anything untoward. Most integrating minorities don't have that confidence. Curiously, second-generation minorities are probably more notorious for suffering in silence because they really just want to fit in and get on with their lives as locals.

So, it's mostly not about us. There is no real, actual context of overwhelming oppression and threat for us aside from non-statistical TV terrorism, which agreed is a stress and one we should deal with by pulling the media and the hystericals into line. Yes, some bad interactions with scumbag minorities can be really upsetting, but bad interactions with anyone on the street or with customers/clients are also upsetting. Rate your top 20 worst interactions with people and the minority element probably won't figure very largely. Rude scum are likely a fixed percentage of any population, including those who spend millions on looking culturally refined and sophisticated!

Now, if people can't grasp the difference, and can't be disciplined or empathetic enough to bear with first-generation immigrants as they have done now for many decades, and can't get their heads around the non-statistical nature of the terrorism scare, and can't accept the dynamic nature of socio-economies on a shrinking planet, then we've got much, much bigger problems looming because Western culture is about to go through massive, economy-induced shifts based on a new multi-polar, 10B+ planet. No degree of denial, self pity or pining for the good old days will help deal with that, and help navigate it successfully. The short-term rush of defensive reactions which give people a temporary sense of control is only masking an inability to cope with global changes beyond our control.

Eds: Clarification.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 70 of 128   

Jump to: