Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
^ I agree, it's far too harsh to use IS or some Sudanese barbarians as examples of Islam. They're really a bit like the throat-slitting thuggees of Hinduism in the 19th century. Strange sects born out of vicious wars and alighting on fragments of religious text to justify their obscure lusts for power and revenge. To that extent I very much agree with ptid. But that does not make Islam sit comfortably with Western values or alliances.

very true,

I guess that's the thing, I cant think of a western country where, if you choose to live there, you are expected to stay pretty close to the social rules, by law, or be held up to the law with some awful consequences, and, likewise, westerners don't generally expect traditions and rules to change when they move there. and its weird, since muslims are apparently such a minority.

obviously, ive never lived in a predominately muslim country, so I don't really have any idea what the expectations are, apart from what I see on the news. (and sex in the city!!). and from what I have seen, I have no desire too!

I have some lovely Muslim friends, who are simply horrified, as the rest of us are, with what is occurring. some have lost relatives.

I just don't get why we cant all just live and let live.

I don't think any religion should be law. i tried to live by be kind to others and hopefully they will do the same.

except carlton supporters and drug cheats.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 pm

On somewhat of a side note I do hope security for the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing will have ultra tight security for the dawn service in Turkey.

Come to think of it I hope our own shrine of remembrance and the Anzac day clash does as well.

You just know any lone wolf or pack of them committed to IS would love nothing more than to slaughter innocents on this historic milestone.

It would be a major propaganda victory in there deluded minds.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:

None of the above are/were Christians, you can call yourself whatever you like, but by their fruits you will know them. No proper Christian could perform any of the acts mentioned above. You people have no idea what constitutes and actual Christian.

99% of Muslims consider ISIS in the exact same way!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

None of the above are/were Christians, you can call yourself whatever you like, but by their fruits you will know them. No proper Christian could perform any of the acts mentioned above. You people have no idea what constitutes and actual Christian.

So that would leave 16 million supporters? Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

that's what they want you to believe.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:51 pm

pietillidie wrote:

That is red card-able by virtue of breaking Australian vilification law and bringing Nick's into serious disrepute. Skids, stick to investing; stop wasting your time bullying ordinary folk just to be an unethical arse. That causing minorities stress and hardship, including children, seems to be a bit of a sport for you is cause for serious concern.

How am i bullying anyone? Including children .? ?

I just don't believe what a lot of you on here do.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

That is red card-able by virtue of breaking Australian vilification law and bringing Nick's into serious disrepute. Skids, stick to investing; stop wasting your time bullying ordinary folk just to be an unethical arse. That causing minorities stress and hardship, including children, seems to be a bit of a sport for you is cause for serious concern.

How am i bullying anyone? Including children .? ?

I just don't believe what a lot of you on here do.

Did something get deleted? What's wrong with your post? And how many children read nicks?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Amid all of the excitement and while ptid is calling in the speech police, i think it may be worth stating the rationalist conservative case and possible policy responses, as I see it. I'm not wedded to the views below, but i think they're a rational position to take. On such an issue, it's well to be clear on what one thinks and why. So here goes :

Islam is a religion which arose in Arabia and developed through conquest, and it bears many of the marks of that harsh and difficult history in its core texts. It is a political religion, which does not have any real tradition or textual basis for separating church and state.

It has tended to prosper in countries that were subjugated by imperialism and thus it has attached itself (or been attached) very strongly to anti-Western nationalism.

Most of the socieities where it has been dominant have not prospered post-Imperialism other than through natural resource discovery. This is partly because Islam has particular strictures against cost-of-money finance which underpins capitalism's success, and partly because the separation of church and state seems to be intrinsic to exemplary economic development.

Most of the societies where it has been dominant are highly patriarchal, when not actively misogynistic, and there is much in Islam's core texts to justify this unhappy cultural preference (which the West shared till quite recently).

Given all of the above, strongly Islamic beliefs are unlikely to sit at ease with the norms of western nations and society in the near future. Nevertheless, there is a signficant presence of Islamic peoples in Western nations, the great majority of them peaceful, and the achievement of such a peaceful and respectful accommodation is essential.

There has been a rising tide of Islamic terrorism enacted against peaceable citizens across the world causing mass death, by many and various Islamist splinter groups and cells acting more or less autonomously, enabled by the internet.

We should therefore (i) encourage respect for Islam and Muslims in our society, including constraining speech which insults the Prophet ; (ii) limit the rate and pace of future Islamic immigration ; (iii) firmly constrain any Islamic teaching which is seditious or in any way implies support for Terrorism or violence ; (iv) Make the viewing of any site which advocates Islamic extremism an offence in the same way that paedophilia is so proscribed, and treat it with the same level of disgust and punishment. Finally, (v) disallow any religiously segregated Islamic schooling. That would be discriminatory, but through global terrorism Islam has become a special case. Islamic teaching for Muslim children should be licensed and controlled by the government.

The position above may upset both the Islam-haters and the "leave it alone just because it's a minority and we're as bad as them anyway" folks, but I think it is probably the position we will end up in eventually, if atrocities continue at the present rate of escalation.

Fantastic post Mugwump!

However one thing I don't agree on which you mention is this idea that people should be "encouraged to respect Islam in our society, including constraining speech which insults the Prophet". Islam or Islamism like any other religion and ideology should be open to praise and criticism and if a cartoonist in France wants to draw a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad or someone wants to oppose the ideals of Islam and Islamism they have every right to do so as long as they do not vent their frustrations and criticisms towards Muslims as people. Most people around the world opposed Nazism but understood the distinction between the people of Germany who were living under this ideology against their wish as opposed to the ideology and the forces driving it around Germany and parts of Europe.

On furthering your great and insightful comments on Islam in your post I think more attention needs to be directed toward Wahhabism and Salafism as opposed to just Islam in general. This is the ideology that ISIS is aligning itself with in the Sunni Branch of Islam and has been pushing since it's foundation and now emergence around Syria and Iraq and it's vision to destabilise the Middle East as we know it. It's a relatively new ideology in Islam but has proven to be an ideology that has been followed or admired by many Sunni Jihadist groups in the Middle East. It encourages a extreme version of Sunni Islamism, shows no respect for anyone outside this narrow branch of Shias, Kurds, Assyrian Christians, Yazidis and other non-Muslims around the world. It's vision of Sharia Law would be much more stricter than those seen in Iran and Saudi Arabia as seen in IS-held regions with the punishments of apostates or gays for example.

Overall great post!

3.14159 wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

Is there any evidence to prove that this figure is true?

On top of that I wonder what the support is amongst other Sunni jihadist groups like Al-Qaeda and the 1920 Revolution Brigade which are now not considered as 'radical and extreme" as ISIS is.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Skids, Pa Marmo & Senator Lambie on Islam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZignPUwvvPU

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

Of course they do, you've surveyed them all and they told you so.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:58 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Of course, because Sharia is a good thing isnt it, like being aloud to strip your woman's clitoris so she doesn't enjoy sex. Or perhaps the act of "thighing", were an adult male places his penis between the thighs of a child of any age, to pleasure himself, as long as he doesn't penetrate, which is acceptable under Sharia, that sounds like a great law, although the kids may think otherwise. The law about being able to slap your wife around for impure thoughts, now that's a good one, you don't even have to be able to justify it, because who knows what shes thinking.

That clip was so hilariously funny, Im amazed it hasn't gone viral, oh my, I nearly wet myself with laughter. Good job WPT, you've covered yourself in glory.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Glad to hear it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Personally, I feel very naughty when I eat rock hyrax.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Funny you should mention that.

Quote:
Jacqui Lambie receives beheading threat, ordering her to help implement Sharia law in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-01/lambie-threatened-with-beheading/6271732

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 69 of 128   

Jump to: