Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Big Group to run Pies new social club at Westpac Centre

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
Is there any other great, not average, not good but
great pie shops around?

If you're ever heading north-ish as a general direction, detour through Rutherglen, a little joint called Parkers Pies are the best pies in Australia!!

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:12 pm

King Monkey wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
great pie shops around?

If you're ever heading north-ish as a general direction, detour through Rutherglen, a little joint called Parkers Pies are the best pies in Australia!!

Thanks
I will drive up there and check it out.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
great pie shops around?

You mean Ted Parker?

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 am

i am glad he kicked on after the debacle at The Club.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 am

I've always been concerned, well every now and then I spare a thought for that legless sister he waxed on about so eloquently.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 am

Artist's impression of the the new Collingwood Community centre due for completion in mid 2015.
The cafe and pergola area will be a good spot from which to view training. The so called Glasshouse is on the upper level to the left. It appears to have walls of glass looking out over Olympic Park on one side and the Yarra/Botanical Gardens on the other. Great location for a Collingwood wedding!

newccc.jpg

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:39 am

I will reserve my opinion until it has opened and enough time has passed to resolve the teething problems. The Pies need a social club and it will be interesting to see what form this will take.
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 am

Member 7167 wrote:
The other issue is that we cannot continually increase our spend on the football department due to the new AFL equalisation tax. The club will continue to make large profits and they will be in an excellent financial position. Now IS the time under these circumstance to value add the memberships and give the members who have been deprived of a social club for so long some real value for money.

It is all well and good paying out the bucks to be a social club member for years but it is a little hollow when we have no social club.

Not picking on you Member 7167, but this reply is to all those out there who lament the old social club or want it to be re-created at Westpac centre.

Assuming there will never be any pokies placed in the Westpac Centre, there will never be enough onsite to attract enough members to justify the cost of having staff onsite waiting for people to turn up.

If there is anyone out there who remembers the Vic Park social club in the last couple of years pre pokies (1988-1992), they will remember a VERY empty bar on the first floor, unless it was snooker night, with maybe one or two people there keeping the bar staff Harry, Norma or the other bloke (forgot his name) company.

You would also remember the 2 early self serve TAB machines that were there (they owe me a stack!), teletext of the greyhounds and the Getaway pinball machine.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays there were always a few extras around watching training and having a few but never enough to open the kitchen for a toasted sandwich, let alone opening a full on bistro.

I know that period well being heavily involved in the cheer squad at the time and living in Clifton Hill, I spent a hell of a lot of time there and unless it was a finals training night, snooker finals, private or club function, there was NEVER enough people there to open the bistro. The joint was a ghost town.

Don't forget that it would have been the social hub for MANY of the locals "back in the day" but as Melbourne expanded and our fan base left the area, so did the social club customer base.

So now when you want to open a "Members Only" social club at the Westpac Centre do some very quick and simple Calculations.

Firstly, eliminate the 100,000+ local residents as potential customers as they are not members. Bad move. Many wouldn't come anyway as it is Collingwood, but why make it impossible for them?

Then consider how many similar places (Pubs, clubs, cafes, bistros, restaurants, fast food joints, diners - thousands and thousands) you and every other member would have to go past to go and buy the same food, drink and atmosphere at the Westpac Centre would offer.

Then think about parking. Not much right on the doorstep when you compare to your local RSL, pokies pub or gastro pub.

Then consider that of the 80,000 members we have, I guess we may have 10-15,000 social club members, many like me well over an hour away. Unless I have to, I am not driving into that area, at peak times to get a meal.

So about the best solution that they could have would be the M-F 9-5 cafe/lunchbar/coffeshop and then open up the space for members, guests and potential members on club function days and match days/nights for good meals and reasonable priced drinks. A members only area would also be crazy and so 60's.

We should be open and welcoming providing a great venue, meals and drinks for everyone with social club members being given access priority on big days like ANZAC day etc.

And all of that is pretty much what I think we have now.

There is no way we could justify the high expense and low income of a "Members Only Social Club" unless there was pokies and I dont think we could have or would want pokies there.

Time to give it up and move on people.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:17 am

Top post dillo, there is no money in pubs and clubs, the industry has been dying since the introduction of the booze bus, the quick beer or two on the way home is history, the only thing that keeps pubs/clubs in the game is pokies. If the Club runs a social Club like most here are demanding it will bleed money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Artist's impression of the the new Collingwood Community centre due for completion in mid 2015.
The cafe and pergola area will be a good spot from which to view training. The so called Glasshouse is on the upper level to the left. It appears to have walls of glass looking out over Olympic Park on one side and the Yarra/Botanical Gardens on the other. Great location for a Collingwood wedding!

But where is the Collingwood FC Magpie branding?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Yep dillo_09 you've nailed it. And 1061, I think the branding is the panel in the centre that looks like a large screen. Can't tell for sure but suspect that's what it is.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:05 pm
Post subject: Stick itReply with quote

They took over 100 years of our Club away from us when they deserted Victoria Park. We had our generational spirit there. They spat on our history for corporate ideals. We had our Social Club there that on match day was the place to be. It should never been measured as a business on performance during the week and didn't need to be opened then if they had any brains. Any tizzie little new facility is not welcome. I will live and die for the memories we had at Victoria Park and I will never change my attitude to those that wrecked it. I hope they rot. This new facility will never work and does not have the same feel as a bar that looked out onto a ground where Jock McHale inspired our boys in the Great Depression years. We could have stayed there in some form if they had the same will they have for making this corporate shallow place work now.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:19 pm

the big question is, when will it be finished and can Nick's borrow it for our 20th birthday next year sometime?!
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:38 pm

dillo_09 wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
The other issue is that we cannot continually increase our spend on the football department due to the new AFL equalisation tax. The club will continue to make large profits and they will be in an excellent financial position. Now IS the time under these circumstance to value add the memberships and give the members who have been deprived of a social club for so long some real value for money.

It is all well and good paying out the bucks to be a social club member for years but it is a little hollow when we have no social club.

Not picking on you Member 7167, but this reply is to all those out there who lament the old social club or want it to be re-created at Westpac centre.

Assuming there will never be any pokies placed in the Westpac Centre, there will never be enough onsite to attract enough members to justify the cost of having staff onsite waiting for people to turn up.

If there is anyone out there who remembers the Vic Park social club in the last couple of years pre pokies (1988-1992), they will remember a VERY empty bar on the first floor, unless it was snooker night, with maybe one or two people there keeping the bar staff Harry, Norma or the other bloke (forgot his name) company.

You would also remember the 2 early self serve TAB machines that were there (they owe me a stack!), teletext of the greyhounds and the Getaway pinball machine.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays there were always a few extras around watching training and having a few but never enough to open the kitchen for a toasted sandwich, let alone opening a full on bistro.

I know that period well being heavily involved in the cheer squad at the time and living in Clifton Hill, I spent a hell of a lot of time there and unless it was a finals training night, snooker finals, private or club function, there was NEVER enough people there to open the bistro. The joint was a ghost town.

Don't forget that it would have been the social hub for MANY of the locals "back in the day" but as Melbourne expanded and our fan base left the area, so did the social club customer base.

So now when you want to open a "Members Only" social club at the Westpac Centre do some very quick and simple Calculations.

Firstly, eliminate the 100,000+ local residents as potential customers as they are not members. Bad move. Many wouldn't come anyway as it is Collingwood, but why make it impossible for them?

Then consider how many similar places (Pubs, clubs, cafes, bistros, restaurants, fast food joints, diners - thousands and thousands) you and every other member would have to go past to go and buy the same food, drink and atmosphere at the Westpac Centre would offer.

Then think about parking. Not much right on the doorstep when you compare to your local RSL, pokies pub or gastro pub.

Then consider that of the 80,000 members we have, I guess we may have 10-15,000 social club members, many like me well over an hour away. Unless I have to, I am not driving into that area, at peak times to get a meal.

So about the best solution that they could have would be the M-F 9-5 cafe/lunchbar/coffeshop and then open up the space for members, guests and potential members on club function days and match days/nights for good meals and reasonable priced drinks. A members only area would also be crazy and so 60's.

We should be open and welcoming providing a great venue, meals and drinks for everyone with social club members being given access priority on big days like ANZAC day etc.

There is no way we could justify the high expense and low income of a "Members Only Social Club" unless there was pokies and I dont think we could have or would want pokies there.

Spot on Dilllo. I was part of the cheer squad back then and practically lived at the joint. The only time these things work is when they are centred around game day, big functions and finals training sessions. There is no parking. The train station is a fair walk and that is it in a nutshell. Just a nice cafe and lounge that's looks out in training and that'll be fine.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:50 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

dillo_09 wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

You move on! I suppose you would find some reason to forget the ANZAC's too because some greasy corporate had a better idea to make a quick buck by forgetting it. Your type are simple expedients who lack any respect for culture or heritage. Whittington is Geelong's cultural and intellectual wasteland. Stay there/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: