Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Big Group to run Pies new social club at Westpac Centre

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, The Big Group currently runs all functions at the Westpac Centre, so it will be a smooth transition to the new facilities for them and quite frankly, we won't be involved any more than we are now except we'll hopefully have a nice spot from which to watch training. Hope they bring back the bacon and eggs though; mashed avocado on toast with salad doesn't do it for me and didn't do it for Darcy Moore and Jono Marsh either!
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 am
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:

You move on! I suppose you would find some reason to forget the ANZAC's too because some greasy corporate had a better idea to make a quick buck by forgetting it. Your type are simple expedients who lack any respect for culture or heritage. Whittington is Geelong's cultural and intellectual wasteland. Stay there/

I gave up arguing with or responding to intellectually bereft peanuts a long time ago, but now seems like as good a time as any to start again.........

I have moved on along with the rest of the world, you clearly haven't and wont.

Its not about making a quick buck, its about providing the services that the people want and I am sure you are in the minority wanting a replication of the old social club.

In the end, Vic Park was a tired old girl and no level of plastic surgery was ever going to get her back to her 20's and 30's - her prime years. She was like my nanna. History shows she was a stunner in her younger years but in her latter, things are heading south and we cant change it no matter what you do. Time moves on.

I have some wonderful memories of Vic Park and plenty of respect for her and her history as I like to think I was a big part of her latter years - I watched games from the outer, the Yarra falls end, the Sherrin Stand (Cheer Squad) and in her latter years watching games from the front steps of the Social Club. I have spent many hours there from my first game there in 78 to her last game in 1999. We built and raised the giant run through on that day. I ran the cheer squad from the hut under the Sherrin and the old primary school annexe in the late 80's and early 90's. I arrived at Vic Park on the players bus and was onstage with the players in 1990 singing the song. I have spent many hours there, I have played there for the cheer squad and for the "Collingwood Legends" vs Fitzroy in 1991. I have drank in the past players, magpie club and woodsmen bars. I have slept there, worked there, fought there, "loved" there, drank there, apologised there, danced there, sang there, laughed there, cried there and will be happy for people to say he died there. I plan to reside there after the almighty decides my time here is up.

I salivate for the day I can take my now 4 year old there and show him my old reserved seat (Sherrin Stand B77) and explain the mystique and try to convey the atmosphere to him and kick a few goals towards a packed Sherrin Stand. Show him the spot where Ned extracted Ben Doolans teeth. Where Daics kicked goal of the year V Richmond in 1991. Where the Colliwobbles are buried by the great Lou Richards. Show him the steps of the social club.

So you just need to get of you high horse and stop making assumptions about peoples level of respect and understanding of the heritage for Vic Park.

Time to move on Hiss and embrace the brave new world or get off the bus and disappear into the night. You are capable, you use the internet after all.

Oh yeah, Whittington may be a cultural and intellectual wasteland, but it is a long way UP HILL from Corio!! Culturally and intellectually. Pop in to the scooter shop one day and I will show you around, if you have any brains you will find me. Got a heavy duty one here for Bertha and for those like yourself, I have ones that are simple and easy to use. I can even help you arrange government funding.

Don't even get me started on my understanding, respect and knowledge of ANZAC day........ You just don't want to go there.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

dillo_09 wrote:
Hiss wrote:

You move on! I suppose you would find some reason to forget the ANZAC's too because some greasy corporate had a better idea to make a quick buck by forgetting it. Your type are simple expedients who lack any respect for culture or heritage. Whittington is Geelong's cultural and intellectual wasteland. Stay there/

I gave up arguing with or responding to intellectually bereft peanuts a long time ago, but now seems like as good a time as any to start again.........

I have moved on along with the rest of the world, you clearly haven't and wont.

Its not about making a quick buck, its about providing the services that the people want and I am sure you are in the minority wanting a replication of the old social club.

In the end, Vic Park was a tired old girl and no level of plastic surgery was ever going to get her back to her 20's and 30's - her prime years. She was like my nanna. History shows she was a stunner in her younger years but in her latter, things are heading south and we cant change it no matter what you do. Time moves on.

I have some wonderful memories of Vic Park and plenty of respect for her and her history as I like to think I was a big part of her latter years - I watched games from the outer, the Yarra falls end, the Sherrin Stand (Cheer Squad) and in her latter years watching games from the front steps of the Social Club. I have spent many hours there from my first game there in 78 to her last game in 1999. We built and raised the giant run through on that day. I ran the cheer squad from the hut under the Sherrin and the old primary school annexe in the late 80's and early 90's. I arrived at Vic Park on the players bus and was onstage with the players in 1990 singing the song. I have spent many hours there, I have played there for the cheer squad and for the "Collingwood Legends" vs Fitzroy in 1991. I have drank in the past players, magpie club and woodsmen bars. I have slept there, worked there, fought there, "loved" there, drank there, apologised there, danced there, sang there, laughed there, cried there and will be happy for people to say he died there. I plan to reside there after the almighty decides my time here is up.

I salivate for the day I can take my now 4 year old there and show him my old reserved seat (Sherrin Stand B77) and explain the mystique and try to convey the atmosphere to him and kick a few goals towards a packed Sherrin Stand. Show him the spot where Ned extracted Ben Doolans teeth. Where Daics kicked goal of the year V Richmond in 1991. Where the Colliwobbles are buried by the great Lou Richards. Show him the steps of the social club.

So you just need to get of you high horse and stop making assumptions about peoples level of respect and understanding of the heritage for Vic Park.

Time to move on Hiss and embrace the brave new world or get off the bus and disappear into the night. You are capable, you use the internet after all.

Oh yeah, Whittington may be a cultural and intellectual wasteland, but it is a long way UP HILL from Corio!! Culturally and intellectually. Pop in to the scooter shop one day and I will show you around, if you have any brains you will find me. Got a heavy duty one here for Bertha and for those like yourself, I have ones that are simple and easy to use. I can even help you arrange government funding.

Don't even get me started on my understanding, respect and knowledge of ANZAC day........ You just don't want to go there.

Fantastic post! I was never able to enjoy the days of when we played at Victoria Park because I was far too young to remember it but reading that sent shivers down my spine about our iconic stadium with so much history behind it and how the place was buzzing over the years. That deserves a standing ovation on my behalf!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: