Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Street harassment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's the thing. Now and then wouldn't be an issue. But if it happened constantly? Maybe that would be tiring and unpleasant.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:19 pm

David wrote:
I guess that's the thing. Now and then wouldn't be an issue. But if it happened constantly? Maybe that would be tiring and unpleasant.

I'll be honest, it would take a bit for me to find it annoying, but I'm an old duck now, getting taken for a swan occasionally would be fanfuckingtastic!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:05 pm

David wrote:

If it was happening all the time maybe it's the person making the video who has the problem. Everyone else can't be wrong all the time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Harry & Paul do it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:31 pm

I've seen one a year or so ago about a man who dressed like a woman in (I can't remember the place - It think it was Egypt)
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:14 am

5150 wrote:
I've seen one a year or so ago about a man who dressed like a woman in (I can't remember the place - It think it was Egypt)

Nah, Kings Cross is in Sydney.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm

watt price tully wrote:
5150 wrote:

Nah, Kings Cross is in Sydney.

Close! - it was Egypt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNZt1T5rAQ
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm

I saw the original last week. Interesting reaction to it when first published, lots of support but they've also copped a lot of stick for editing out the white guys making it focus on blacks and latinos.

For mine, and I have watched the whole video, some of the comments were cringeworthy - guys going "Damn" outloud as she walked past, what are you trying to achieve with that?

One thing that makes the video starker for mine is her approach, doing the silent straight ahead walk. In many of the cases of people simply commenting "have a nice day" or similar stuff, if she had been walking along with a smile and choosing to treat the non-creepy stuff as just people being friendly, she could have happily interacted with people and the tone of the video would be completely different.

Stuff as simple as acknowledging people. Someone yells out "have a nice day", turn, smile and reply "You too" and keep walking. This girl was set up to play the victim IMO.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Yeah, I can kind of see both sides. On one hand, it does seem a little bit Marie Antoinettesquelike, "how dare the peasants speak to me without my express permission first?".

And yet, if that sort of thing really is a constant, daily reality, then you'd probably get a bit sick of acknowledging them (and what if saying hi back encourages further attention?). Like with charity spruikers in the city, after a certain amount of this kind of thing I'd probably just keep walking and not even respond.

I think the reason there were few white guys in the video is that they were generally not so blatant in their cat-calling. It's at least partially about socioeconomics: ethnic minorities in the US tend to be over-represented in terms of poverty, homelessness and drug abuse, so it makes sense that there'd be more African-American and Latino men on the streets hitting on random women as opposed to doing it in the office or at university.

Considering these factors, and considering that well-dressed, conventionally attractive women (i.e. women from a higher socioeconomic background) are probably more likely to receive this sort of attention, there's a lot more going on here than just old-fashioned "male privilege".

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:32 pm

So David poor woman are ugly?

I dunno looked like an average t shirt and jeans and a run of the mill hair do!

Worked for her😝

You want annoying walk past the girls girls girls spruikers in Vegas!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Haha, of course not, though on average richer women can afford nicer clothing, better hairstyling, fancier perfume and make-up, plastic surgery, removal of blemishes and so on. They're also more likely to be in better physical and mental health and better state of fitness, less likely to smoke or eat unhealthy food, and so on.

Keep in mind that what I'm talking about is conventional attractiveness. As a man who is attracted to women, I can honestly say that few of the qualities I've listed make me more interested in someone (indeed, I find scruffy hair, average clothes and not too much personal grooming more appealing). But I'm aware of the qualities that our society ordains as conventionally attractive, and women who have these qualities have clear privileges that aren't accessible to those who don't.

One of these privileges is that random people are a lot more likely to take notice of you and find you attractive (which may lead to more job offers, less prejudicial treatment and more general social acceptance). A downside, of course, is more unwanted attention from random people on the street.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:31 am

What I don't get with this whole thread- what is so offence about what is called out? Are you looking for it to be offensive? Especially when you take in the time frame of the study, personally, I don't think there's much in it at all.

You want offensive, get an "ugly fat chick with zits" (now there is no politically correct way of saying that so just let it go ok?) to don the same gear and go strolling, and then see what gets yelled out. And that, more than likely would be offensive.

Personally for me that clip was freedom of speech, friendly stuff, the only one that creeped me out was the guy following without speaking. Even the guy following and trying to make conversation, he wasn't rude, he didn't say anything remotely offensive, and when she ignored him, he didnt say "well **** you" or anything. If you took out the padding that film is less than 5 min long and I think it said it was filmed over 7 hours? And she was strutting! I really don't see the point of it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:16 am

stui magpie wrote:
I saw the original last week. Interesting reaction to it when first published, lots of support but they've also copped a lot of stick for editing out the white guys making it focus on blacks and latinos.

They didn't 'edit out' the white guys, they just didn't get any doing the 'harrassment'. Any excuse made to the contrary is just trying to cover their arse after they realised after making their Hit Piece against men they missed their primary target (Straight, White Males) and hit the minorities instead.

FWIW a woman I spoke to about the issue said she missed the days when men would compliment women from building sites (the only real instance of this she could remember). I actually see the shaming of this behaviour as just another nail in the coffin of social interaction between strangers. We're happy to have 1000 facebook friends we don't know, but the second someone on the street says 'hello' they're a creep (if they're unattractive, anyway that's another story).
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:34 pm

This video has opened a big arse can of worms now. Some are saying that the comments in the video constitute sexual harassment based on the fact that these comments were un-welcomed and not facilitated by the woman in any way.

Now that response has prompted some to come out and make rape and death threats towards the woman.

Also, some are saying that the video is racist because it shows only men of ethnic origin or colour, making the comments and not white men.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: