Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Street harassment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:02 pm
Post subject: Street harassmentReply with quote

This video shot in New York has been generating some discussion in recent days:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-29/video-shows-woman-harassed-on-streets-of-new-york/5852552

Quote:
The video follows actor Shoshana Roberts, who is clad in black jeans and a crewneck T-shirt, for 10 hours.

She received more than 100 comments and even more whistles and winks.

Roberts, who remains silent throughout the clip, decided to make the video with her filmmaker boyfriend, Rob Bliss, after becoming tried of being shouted at and approached by men on the streets.

Men yell out, "Hey, baby," "Hey, beautiful," "How are you this morning?" and "Have a nice evening" to try and engage her.

One man walked beside her for several minutes after making a comment.

The footage seems to suggest that this is a very common experience for (at least young, conventionally attractive) women. Is this something you've experienced or witnessed in Melbourne or other Australian cities? If you're a man, do you tend to do this sort of thing?

I have to confess it's never occurred to me to 'cat-call' or 'wolf-whistle' at someone I found attractive. I'm sure men who do it don't mean any harm by it, but the responses of many women seem to suggest that this is a) very common and b) something they feel threatened by.

While I think I'd probably appreciate being complimented on my looks, it'd be pretty annoying to be told to smile by random strangers. I'm really curious to know what goes through people's minds when they do that.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems innocent until it affects you, I guess. I think it's one where we should listen to those affected by it : if it is really distressing, then intervene if you see it. But unless it really is that distressing to many women, or has some more sinister consequence, then perhaps it's just one of life's annoyances, of which we all have our share, in some form or other.

What goes through their minds ? An assertion of personal masculinity and comforting membership of a masculine group, I'd imagine. I doubt they'd do it when not within audible range of co-workers.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:39 am

I'm sure that's the motivation in many cases, though most of the guys in that video seemed to be operating alone. I suspect a few of them may have had mental health issues.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:41 am

David wrote:
I'm sure that's the motivation in many cases, though most of the guys in that video seemed to be operating alone. Perhaps people with existing dysfunctions?

Oh, I didn't see the video, sorry. Bang goes that theory, then ! Maybe it's like spam - for every 100 incidents, it only takes one positive response to reinforce it ?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:40 am

Yeah, saw that on Facebook, was thinking of donning simular attire, sunnies and hitting the same streets!

Is that the wrong reaction?! Embarassed

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 am

I might say no.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 am

I like u Hal
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:15 am

I am happy that it pleases you.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:16 am

think positive wrote:
Yeah, saw that on Facebook, was thinking of donning simular attire, sunnies and hitting the same streets!

Is that the wrong reaction?! Embarassed

Well it took her 10 hours to get that footage in a shady neighbourhood in New York so you might want to take a sandwich.

Two points, I'll let one of the youtube comments make my first one

"I'm a woman. And I took my own head count. 15 of these men were simply saying "hello" or "have a nice day/evening". Half of them said "God bless you". A couple said "damn" and 2 of them followed her simply trying to carry a conversation. Nowhere in this video did I see anything REMOTELY close to cat calling or sexual harassment. None of these men commented on her body parts, none of them touched her and none of them said anything to offend her. I'm trying to figure out how simply telling someone to have a nice day is considered sexual harassment and cat calling. "

So 10 hours to cherry pick the 'worst' 2 minutes worth of people saying hello to you, in the rudest most aggressive city in the world in a dodgy area.

Secondly men who struggle to find women to date are told to 'just have confidence and approach a girl', NOW that generally polite confidence gets you featured in an internet hit piece.

Women wonder where all the men have gone, why they can't get married or even find a long term boyfriend? They're giving up sweetheart, because you're sending out messages like this.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am

Here's a man doing the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY

aaand a parody Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzjfjyO52o
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 am

Wokko wrote:

aaand a parody Laughing

I want his number too!!

id be the girl doing the head swivel!! that's HOT!! don't think id be game to say anything though!! (but id be thinking breakfast!!) noticed a lot of guys yelling at HIM too!!

its funny, I have cracked it with hubby for perving (long time ago, now its like meh!) but recently id be like "wow, that womans worked out, how good does she look!!"

-and the parody is pretty cool!!

seriously, they are compliments, its not like they are asking for a HJ! if I was a walking down the street and I heard "Hot Damn" id wiggle harder!!

now scuse me whle I shower, just killed it in the Gym, Hawaii in just over 2 weeks, gotta pump the guns for that black t-shirt!! cheers

(your post above the videos got me cheering again, yes we all need to lighten up!)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:25 am

Wokko wrote:
Women wonder where all the men have gone, why they can't get married or even find a long term boyfriend? They're giving up sweetheart, because you're sending out messages like this.

But do you think many relationships are really started this way? If most women really do feel so threatened/annoyed by this behaviour (whether you think it's justified or not), wouldn't it be helpful for men like this to understand that what they're doing is pointless?

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:35 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

But do you think many relationships are really started this way? If most women really do feel so threatened/annoyed by this behaviour (whether you think it's justified or not), wouldn't it be helpful for men like this to understand that what they're doing is pointless?

For the most part their just trying to talk to her and have her engage them in conversation, if a guy can't do that with a girl how else are they meant to meet them. I guess they could throw a piece of paper at her and hope she reads it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Wokko wrote:

aaand a parody Laughing

Laughed out loud at that second one. Great parody. Mr. Green

And the first one does make a good point, that this isn't just about women (and a guy in another comment thread pointed out that goths and punks cop much worse harassment). But perhaps the issue here is not that only women are victims, but that this kind of harassment is a problem regardless of who is being targeted.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Would it really bother you to be "harassed" like that? Like just occasionally, which, quite frankly is all it was in so long a period!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: