Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Depth charter

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
the main difference between 2010 and now is the quality of our midfield, in 2010 we had a white hot Dids-Swan and Daisy, Beams was also good, Swan has lost form and we haven't come close to replacing the other 3, that IMO is the difference from then to now.

Wellers was also pretty good in 2010, better than who ever replaced him anyway.

And that is why we simply have to take the best available mid in this years draft.

Our 2010 midfield emerged through the year. Players like Pendles, Sidebottom, Daisy came of age replacing the O'Bree's and Lockyers. Same may well happen in 2015.

Wellers replacement can only be Grundy given he's the player we took at the pick 18 we got from WCEs. Too early to tell but I'm guessing that if you watched their careers from 2015 on, Grundy might just sneak ahead. Could argue that either Kennedy or Broomhead were there abouts given the 18-19-20 pick scenario.

Agree though, the replacement x-factor that Weller's brought to the team hasn't yet emerged. Could equally say the same about Didak or Krakouer. Hopefully in 2015.

There's a massive difference between our then emerging mids compared to now, Kennedy has been disappointing.

Freeman is yet to play a game.

Shazza is a mile behind for obvious reasons.

Thomas looks ok but I highly doubt we'll be hearing his name called on Brownlow night to often.

Broom looks good but might be best suited closer to goal.

Adams will ensure we have an elite clearance player, if he can clean his disposal up he could become a very, very good player.

Like it or not our midfield depth is ordinary, we could rob Peter to pay Paul and turn BIlly into a FT mid, and IMO he has the ability to become an A grade mid but he's also the only capable small fwd we have.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
the main difference between 2010 and now is the quality of our midfield, in 2010 we had a white hot Dids-Swan and Daisy, Beams was also good, Swan has lost form and we haven't come close to replacing the other 3, that IMO is the difference from then to now.

And that is why we simply have to take the best available mid in this years draft.

Our 2010 midfield emerged through the year. Players like Pendles, Sidebottom, Daisy came of age replacing the O'Bree's and Lockyers. Same may well happen in 2015.

Wellers replacement can only be Grundy given he's the player we took at the pick 18 we got from WCEs. Too early to tell but I'm guessing that if you watched their careers from 2015 on, Grundy might just sneak ahead. Could argue that either Kennedy or Broomhead were there abouts given the 18-19-20 pick scenario.

Agree though, the replacement x-factor that Weller's brought to the team hasn't yet emerged. Could equally say the same about Didak or Krakouer. Hopefully in 2015.

There's a massive difference between our then emerging mids compared to now, Kennedy has been disappointing.

Thomas looks ok but I highly doubt we'll be hearing his name called on Brownlow night to often.

Adams will ensure we have an elite clearance player, if he can clean his disposal up he could become a very, very good player.

Like it or not our midfield depth is ordinary, we could rob Peter to pay Paul and turn BIlly into a FT mid, and IMO he has the ability to become an A grade mid but he's also the only capable small fwd we have.

Only difference I see between the emerging 2010 midfield and that of 2015 is games experience and the emerging kids were surrounded by talented experience like Ball, Swan, Didak, even O'Bree and Davis. Even Pendles and Daisy were 5 years in. Sidebottom the only 1 of similar levels. However, if your comparing relative potential you'd have to suggest the current crop should outstrip the 2010 crew given the greater number of 1st round draft picks. Fingers crossed anyway.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:

Only difference I see between the emerging 2010 midfield and that of 2015 is games experience and the emerging kids were surrounded by talented experience like Ball, Swan, Didak, even O'Bree and Davis. Even Pendles and Daisy were 5 years in. Sidebottom the only 1 of similar levels. However, if your comparing relative potential you'd have to suggest the current crop should outstrip the 2010 crew given the greater number of 1st round draft picks. Fingers crossed anyway.

We won our flag on the back of the 05 and 08 drafts, first 2 picks in those 2 drafts were close to perfect.

All of those boys had cemented their place in the ones halfway through their rookie year, most of our current young mids haven't been able to achieve that even though we had a heap of injuries, fact is not one player we've drafted over the last 2 years has cemented their place in the seniors.

Use any excuse you like, but if that doesn't concern you I'd be concerned, these are meant to be our next generation mids.

05/08 crop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2012-13 crop.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Difference is the 2010 guys were introduced into a strong stable team, same can't be said for the current crew. Time will tell but I'm clearly more confident than you.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Grundy is as cemented as he could be considering Witts is also cementing himself at the same time.

Broomhead may have only played eight games, but I can't see him being left out of the senior side anytime soon.

That leaves Kennedy, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played 22 home and away games next year. The only real knock on him has been the tank.

It would be an impressive feat for Freeman or Scharenberg to cement a spot in the side without playing a game.

You're going real early on these guys

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:45 am

Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:

We won our flag on the back of the 05 and 08 drafts, first 2 picks in those 2 drafts were close to perfect.

I would also argue that the 2006 draft was excellent and was a major contributing factor as to why we won the flag along with the 2005 and 2008 drafts as well.

In 2006 we drafted Ben Reid, Nathan Brown, Chris Dawes and Tyson Goldsack who all played in the Premiership sides and played vital roles in helping us win the flag against the Saints in 2010.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm
Post subject: Re: 2015 Depth charterReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
B: Marley W. (Sinclair) N Brown (Frost) T. Goldsack (Langdon)
HB; A. Toovey (Young) B. Reid (Keefe) P. Seedsman (Ramsay)
C: S Sidebottom (Dwyer) L Greenwood (J Thomas) N. Freeman (Marsh)
HF: T. Varcoe (Fasolo) J White (Gault) D. Swan (Karnezis)
F: J. Elliot (Kennedy) T. Cloke (Moore) T. Broomhead (Blair)
F: B. Grundy (Witts) S.Pendlebury (Crisp) T.Adams (Mcaffer)

Extras: Scharenberg, Armstrong, Oxley, pick 5, 30, 48 also

As you can see we have plenty of back up players if "god forbid" we suffer our 4th year in a row of injuries. I guess it's all about getting 70 games into our young core.

i'd take a slightly different view of this. rather than looking for a back up to each player, let's look at how many in a group we have to select from.

i have included armstrong, varcoe, crisp, greenwood and moore.

players have been grouped into forwards, midfield, ruck or backs depending on what their primary role is. we have:

backs: 17
forwards: 9
mids: 11
ruck: 2

now, based on a secondary position i think each player can fulfil, we have the following versatility:

back/forward: 8
back/mid: 8
back/ruck: 1
mid/back: 1
mid/forward: 10
forward/back: 1
forward/mid: 6
forward/ruck: 2
ruck/back: 0
ruck/forward: 2

this shows us we have a good pool of flexibility and versatility not only to choose from but to rotate through on game day particularly if there is a reduction in interchange rotations.

these numbers are based on taking the liberty of the following positional allocation (bearing in mind some players are earmarked and/or not yet fully competent at the secondary role):

Alex Fasolo Back/Forward
Sam Dwyer Midfield/Forward
Brent Macaffer Midfield/Forward
Brodie Grundy Ruck/Forward
Tyson Goldsack Back/Forward
Ben Kennedy Forward/Midfield
Scott Pendlebury Midfield/Forward
Jarryd Blair Forward/Midfield
Taylor Adams Midfield/Forward
Clinton Young Back/Midfield
Jarrod Witts Ruck/Forward
Nathan J. Brown Back/Forward
Jesse White Forward/Ruck
Jamie Elliott Forward/Midfield
Ben Reid Forward/Back
Steele Sidebottom Midfield/Forward
Lachlan Keeffe Back/Ruck
Josh Thomas Midfield/Forward
Marley Williams Back/Midfield
Ben Sinclair Back/Midfield
Tim Broomhead Forward/Midfield
Jackson Ramsay Back/Forward
Travis Cloke Forward/Midfield
Patrick Karnezis Forward/Midfield
Alan Toovey Back/Midfield
Matt Scharenberg Back/Midfield
Dane Swan Midfield/Forward
Nathan Freeman Midfield/Forward
Paul Seedsman Back/Midfield
Tom Langdon Back/Midfield
Adam Oxley Back/Forward
Corey Gault Forward/Ruck
Jack Frost Back/Forward
Jonathon Marsh Back/Midfield
Darcy Moore Back/Forward
Levi Greenwood Midfield/Forward
Jack Crisp Midfield/Back
Travis Varcoe Midfield/Forward
Tony Armstrong Back/Forward

Last edited by John Wren on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Nice one JW....but are you sure you don't have way too much time on your hands? Embarassed
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Nice one JW....but are you sure you don't have way too much time on your hands? Embarassed

funny you should say that. i am a man of leisure right now so have a bit of time on my hands. this begs the question of what work is not getting done with the rest of you.

i have done some additional analysis on various profiles of our list but won't bore you with it.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 pm

oops, omitted varcoe. might revisit and also include armstrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: