Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we only got $20K compensation for the loss of Rocket

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main point for us - we've lost someone, or more accurately, we've had someone poached off us, who was in our long-term plans on the administration side of things.
It's disruptive.

Completely different to an assistant coach with senior coaching ambitions being offered a chance to move up a rung professionally.

I think Ed was well within his rights to make a stand before shaking hands and wishing Eade all the best.
However, if it was, say, Robert Harvey being offered a coaching gig, I don't think we'd have any grounds to be compensated.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Jamie is only 19 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm

We are talking $20k or whatever it is FFS ...........really has no impact on things whatsover. If you take the " principal" matter well fine otherwise lets look fwd not back .
donuts 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:20 pm

It really is the principal of the matter...

If the AFL puts a tax on Football Department spending as well as an additional equalisation payment, then it is not good practice for one club (GC Suns) to sack their coach and have to pay his contract out (which is part of their Football Department spending), then poach another person who is under contract (and who's contract has been budgeted into another clubs Football Departments Budget AND for which they will be heavily taxed).
The GC Suns will then receive an equalisation handout part funded from the very club their new coach was poached from to help pay for their Football Department expenses (which includes the new coaches contract!).

It is not good business practice unless some sort of compromise, in this case, compensation is paid.

I know thats a long-winded response but I understand, and fully support our Club receiving something in return for releasing Rocket from his contract.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

John Wren wrote:
themonk wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Eddie continues to make noise & pound his chest but the reality is over the past few years we continue to lose club resources for little return.

So out of interest, how would you have done things differently?

Certainly if you are critical of how the club is managed you must have a viable & better alternative.

It's not my job to manage the club, but it doesn't take a genius to notice that a lot of experience (players, coaches & admin) have been lost in the past 2 years.

If that doesn't alarm you then fine. Rolling Eyes

which people are you concerned about losing and whom, if any, were/are irreplaceable?

for all those that have moved on many more have chosen to stay.

It certainly is not good to loose players and executive employees that we wish to retain. At the same time it proves that our recruiting in both areas must be reasonable for other teams to want to poach our people.

Eade's move back into senior coaching has a lot more to do with the opportunities offered to him and the desire to once again be the principle coach especially in a team with the potential of the Suns, than with dissatisfaction with his role at Collingwood or issues with Collingwood as his employer.

The motivational factor with Eade is opportunity.

I wish that he had stayed but wish him success (except at the expense of the Pies)

Also, if you are critical of something then in your opinion there are better ways of handling the situation from Collingwood's perspective. I do not think Collingwood had too many options as with the situation in respect to Beams. All you can do is get the best outcome of an undesirable situation.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 pm

The reason I posted this was because we have started bending over at the negotiating table. What has happened to our supposed power and influence?

Beams - We said we wanted a good established player and supposedly put negotiations on hold, in the next breath we accept Crisp who was drafted very low in the rookie draft.

Eade - We said we wanted $500K and accept only $20K, that is not even 5% of the original ask.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:09 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
The reason I posted this was because we have started bending over at the negotiating table. What has happened to our supposed power and influence?

Beams - We said we wanted a good established player and supposedly put negotiations on hold, in the next breath we accept Crisp who was drafted very low in the rookie draft.

Eade - We said we wanted $500K and accept only $20K, that is not even 5% of the original ask.

The current situation at Collingwood FC is an industry joke. They are sniggering behind our backs.

I've asked and been told, and the reason is simple and we all know it.

You have to feel sorry for the individuals involved but the club is bigger than the individual/s.

I hope it doesn't happen, and previously I thought he had until mid 2016.
Now I suspect that the trigger will need to be pulled before then if we don't return to finals with exciting and determined football.

Anything less will result in a further deterioration of the horrendous crowd numbers and the media honeymoon will be over.

What will we all do if Hine walks?
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:

In both instances we started off in a bad bargaining position. In respect to Beams it has been fully discussed in other topics.

At the end of the day when in this situation you start high and exit with the best deal you can get. Thats what haggling is all about.

Last edited by Member 7167 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Port asked for 200k last season and only got 20, 15 of which they had to give to another side because they poached a coach. Fact we got anything in the end is a good thing, and it could lead to compensation being made available for any 'poaching's' for the future.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 pm

20k is better than nothing. I'd take it and run to be honest.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
John Wren wrote:
themonk wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Eddie continues to make noise & pound his chest but the reality is over the past few years we continue to lose club resources for little return.

So out of interest, how would you have done things differently?

Certainly if you are critical of how the club is managed you must have a viable & better alternative.

It's not my job to manage the club, but it doesn't take a genius to notice that a lot of experience (players, coaches & admin) have been lost in the past 2 years.

If that doesn't alarm you then fine. Rolling Eyes

which people are you concerned about losing and whom, if any, were/are irreplaceable?

for all those that have moved on many more have chosen to stay.

It certainly is not good to loose players and executive employees that we wish to retain. At the same time it proves that our recruiting in both areas must be reasonable for other teams to want to poach our people.

Eade's move back into senior coaching has a lot more to do with the opportunities offered to him and the desire to once again be the principle coach especially in a team with the potential of the Suns, than with dissatisfaction with his role at Collingwood or issues with Collingwood as his employer.

The motivational factor with Eade is opportunity.

I wish that he had stayed but wish him success (except at the expense of the Pies)

Also, if you are critical of something then in your opinion there are better ways of handling the situation from Collingwood's perspective. I do not think Collingwood had too many options as with the situation in respect to Beams. All you can do is get the best outcome of an undesirable situation.

It is lose not loose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: