Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

not paying membership?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

skaman wrote:
just paid mine. nearly 50,000 members already.

Hurry up people and renew. Carlton are almost catching us!

They're already up to 1,560. Laughing

#SIDEBYSIDE
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 pm

The $50 'supporter' membership is a bit of a scam to create ridiculously high numbers, and it worked, but of course the rest of the league has copied the idea and will be catching up eventually. The next logical step is $20 'vaguely interested' memberships. I'm not saying it's wrong, I guess they recognize that perception is everything. Of course its vital that we have the highest membership in order to maintain our standing as the "biggest sporting club in Australia" Something even soccer and Rugby fans up here recognize.
What pisses me off is that a pile of our membership money has to be given over to support other clubs, other clubs who are taking flags and stealing players from us. How much have we had to pay to keep Brizzo afloat over the years?, and they have more flags than us in the last 50 years. There was something decidedly suspect about the way the 2003 GF transpired, and now ol' Gil is facing lousy numbers in their attempt to get a foothold in Sydney's West. If they get 2 or 3 flags consec in the next couple of years I for one will wanna know why.
Each time the AFL or NRL has had a struggle breaking in to a new market flags suddenly appear, and almost always 2 or 3 in a row. It happened with Brisbane, as well as the Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm. Are GWS next? The GCS don't seem to be having so much trouble, they've done it by making the games a massive NFL style show with fireworks, music etc. My brothers family make the 100K drive to their games regularly despite being North Melb fans simply for the spectacle. Will GWS suddenly get a coupla flags before GCS? Now THAT would be suspect.

And yes, JFK was a mob hit ordered by Johnson Smile

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Buying a membership imo changes a person from being a fan to a supporter. My brother lives in Tassy. He has always been a Pies supporter. As expected he can very rarely get to a game. He pays his $50 membership every year. He does it so thst it binds his link with the club he supports and he also gets the satisfaction of giving that club some financial support. Is that such a bad thing? I think not.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Buying a membership imo changes a person from being a fan to a supporter. My brother lives in Tassy. He has always been a Pies supporter. As expected he can very rarely get to a game. He pays his $50 membership every year. He does it so thst it binds his link with the club he supports and he also gets the satisfaction of giving that club some financial support. Is that such a bad thing? I think not.

Totally agree mate. I don't think people should get confused with a membership being associated with the idea that it's only exclusive to those who attend matches on a regular basis as opposed to those who don't.

Anyone who makes a financial sacrifice for the benefit of the club should be called a 'member' and I mean that. Once upon a time, I harboured narrow views that the notion of a 'member' should be exclusive to regular home and away attendees but I've grown to appreciate the fact that this shouldn't be the case and that many make a financial sacrifice because of the love and dedication of this football club. I understand that many cannot attend matches on a regular basis due to other issues and factors in their life such as living arrangements, affordability, age and etc.

I see nothing wrong with what your brother does annually for the benefit of the football club.

winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Buying a membership imo changes a person from being a fan to a supporter.

This is what I tell all my mates who say the support their club. Do they have a membership? No. Then you are only a fan or follower.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 am

look out, here come the self proclaimed real supporters. Look at me! Rolling Eyes
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
look out, here come the self proclaimed real supporters. Look at me! Rolling Eyes

so, to be a real supporter one must have a membership and, for those in attendance at games, they must not leave early.

some interesting perspectives of what constitutes support.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

I personally see a difference between a fan and a supporter. If we were all fans the club would cease to exist.

SUPPORT.PNG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:27 pm

lol, you believe want you want. I find it sad that someone can interpret the meaning of 'support' in only a financial sense. We are ALL supporters!

and Since we're going down the dictionary route to support our argument, you might want to find yourself a better one Wink

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/194682?redirectedFrom=supporter#eid

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:32 pm

^^^ Look, I just see myself as a division of the calyx, really.
Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Frankie, being a fan is all very nice but it does not pay the bills and in many cases it is lip service, and nothing more. I must admit I find that many of those that complain the most and show little understanding of what it takes to be a winner come from this group.

They are called fans for a reason. Fans move around a copious amounts of hot air and make a bit of noise but little is achieved.

To be a supporter you need to give tangible support (go to games, buy a membership or support the club by buying merchandise) within the individuals means. Unfortunately in the real world the club can buy very little with lip service.

As I said earlier, If we were all just fan the club and the league would cease to exist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Ok, it's quite clear you don't want to understand what the meaning of support is, even when spelled out in plain English. Fans are supporters. Some support financially, some don't but they're all supporters. To think otherwise is plain wrong. Of course clubs need money to exist, that's not the argument!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Look, I just see myself as a division of the calyx, really.

I was thinking jockstrap. Keeping the nuts in their place.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:31 pm

the word fan (in the supporter context) is a contraction of the word fanatic and a fanatic is a zealot in support of his or her cause.

one can be a financial or non-financial supporter of an entity.

Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:41 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Ok, it's quite clear you don't want to understand what the meaning of support is, even when spelled out in plain English. Fans are supporters. Some support financially, some don't but they're all supporters. To think otherwise is plain wrong. Of course clubs need money to exist, that's not the argument!

We will agree to disagree. End of story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: