Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Depth charter

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:57 pm
Post subject: 2015 Depth charterReply with quote

B: Marley W. (Sinclair) N Brown (Frost) T. Goldsack (Langdon)
HB; A. Toovey (Young) B. Reid (Keefe) P. Seedsman (Ramsay)
C: S Sidebottom (Dwyer) L Greenwood (J Thomas) N. Freeman (Marsh)
HF: T. Varcoe (Fasolo) J White (Gault) D. Swan (Karnezis)
F: J. Elliot (Kennedy) T. Cloke (Moore) T. Broomhead (Blair)
F: B. Grundy (Witts) S.Pendlebury (Crisp) T.Adams (Mcaffer)

Extras: Scharenberg, Armstrong, Oxley, pick 5, 30, 48 also

As you can see we have plenty of back up players if "god forbid" we suffer our 4th year in a row of injuries. I guess it's all about getting 70 games into our young core.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, the depth looks like you can see the bottom, to me.... It's mostly a middish VFL side, in the brackets.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:34 am

The backline isn't.

In fact the backline in brackets is a closer approximation to the side we had out on the field for most of the year than the starting side listed there.

Ditto JT, Fasolo, Kennedy, Blair, Witts, Macaffer - they aren't VFL players. They just aren't.

Beyond a certain point, maintaining depth becomes impossible because they are going to be VFL players by definition if that is where they play, aren't they?

We do enjoy great depth, partly because we have been so affected by injury and had no choice but to spread AFL experience around.

It's the silver lining Smile

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks Breadcrawl for understanding my post and for what it intended to say.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Just shows we have a really good best 34
What you need to get a team to the GF

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm

What it shows is that the difference with our team between 2010 and 2015, is that in 2010 our depth only went down to about 25, but in terms of quality and experience, our first 18 or 19 were almost unbeatable. In 2015 our depth will run much deeper through the list till at least 34 or 35. But finding the ideal best 18 - 22 from our 2015 list, capable of beating any opposition, will prove very difficult and may take all of the 2015 year, before we find the right combination.
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:38 am

There is no doubt that the club has depth due to the Buckley era led policy of trading into the draft by making hard calls and circumtance. e.g. Dawes, Wellingham, Daisy Thomas, Heath Shaw, Harry Lumumba, Beams. That is two class players moved on each year to get the club access to low draft picks.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee's that these low draft picks will be good enough to replace the proven worth of the players traded and as we all know young players take time to reach their best in the AFL.

Depth is good and necessary for finals success since the game is played at such a high intensity there are bound to be injuries during the year, however I would trade depth for A-grade class anytime, since it is the number of A-graders in the team ( I think at least 6 A-graders needed to win the premiership) that determine how well the team does in finals.

Based on 2014 form and natural development / aging I expect Collingwood will only have the following 3 A-graders in 2015 available to pick from;
Pendlebury, Cloke, Ried

Next in class factor would be our B graders with the potential to be A-graders;
Sidebottom ( Very Close to being A-grade), Elliot, Broomhead, Adams, Grundy and Witts (Perhaps I am being overly generous with these two ruckmen but to have shown so much potential and played as much as they have at such a young age I am very optimistic)

B-Graders unlikely to ever be A-Graders
Brown, Toovey, Sinclair, Langdon, Goldsack, Greenwood, Blair, Mcaffer, Keefe, Young and Marley Williams

C-Graders - Frost, Seedsman, Kennedy, Fasolo, Karnezis, Josh Thomas, White, Ramsay, Varcoe, Crisp, Dwyer

D-Grade - Armstrong, Gault (Typical slow delvelopment for a big bloke so bear with him)

Young Players with Potential yet to be realised but hopefully at least a few A-graders in future years but unlikely to be A-grader in 2015 :- Freeman, Moore, Oxley (I am a big wrap for this kid if he can get and stay fit), Sharenberg, Marsh, Mason Cox and Pick 5 from upcoming draft ( Laverde is the one I am hoping for)

The other wild card is once favorite Dane Swan. Swannie's last couple of years are so far below his stellar 2010 & 2011 years as to be almost unrecogniseable. However, there were glimses ( all too few) of that magic on the MCG where he reminded us of what used to be e.g. Anzac Day 2015. Apparently Swannie had injuries that reduced his input so I feel if Collingwood is to feature in September then Swannie needs to have a final good season. Unfortunately I am not so optimistic that he is capable of it any longer.

We lack class in the mid field so hence the need to recrut another couple of big bodied classy players in this years draft of which one will hopefully be Laverde.

Hence I suggest that 2015 will be a tough year, but if the team can engender the same spirt as 2002, then who knows what could be and of course we all want to defend our record as the only team to have won the Grade Final that is played in October in AFL ( Not VFL) history!!

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 am

the main difference between 2010 and now is the quality of our midfield, in 2010 we had a white hot Dids-Swan and Daisy, Beams was also good, Swan has lost form and we haven't come close to replacing the other 3, that IMO is the difference from then to now.

Wellers was also pretty good in 2010, better than who ever replaced him anyway.

And that is why we simply have to take the best available mid in this years draft.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Defender wrote:
the main difference between 2010 and now is the quality of our midfield, in 2010 we had a white hot Dids-Swan and Daisy, Beams was also good, Swan has lost form and we haven't come close to replacing the other 3, that IMO is the difference from then to now.

Wellers was also pretty good in 2010, better than who ever replaced him anyway.

And that is why we simply have to take the best available mid in this years draft.

Our 2010 midfield emerged through the year. Players like Pendles, Sidebottom, Daisy came of age replacing the O'Bree's and Lockyers. Same may well happen in 2015.

Wellers replacement can only be Grundy given he's the player we took at the pick 18 we got from WCEs. Too early to tell but I'm guessing that if you watched their careers from 2015 on, Grundy might just sneak ahead. Could argue that either Kennedy or Broomhead were there abouts given the 18-19-20 pick scenario.

Agree though, the replacement x-factor that Weller's brought to the team hasn't yet emerged. Could equally say the same about Didak or Krakouer. Hopefully in 2015.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Boot wrote:
There is no doubt that the club has depth due to the Buckley era led policy of trading into the draft by making hard calls and circumtance. e.g. Dawes, Wellingham, Daisy Thomas, Heath Shaw, Harry Lumumba, Beams. That is two class players moved on each year to get the club access to low draft picks.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee's that these low draft picks will be good enough to replace the proven worth of the players traded and as we all know young players take time to reach their best in the AFL.

Depth is good and necessary for finals success since the game is played at such a high intensity there are bound to be injuries during the year, however I would trade depth for A-grade class anytime, since it is the number of A-graders in the team ( I think at least 6 A-graders needed to win the premiership) that determine how well the team does in finals.

Based on 2014 form and natural development / aging I expect Collingwood will only have the following 3 A-graders in 2015 available to pick from;
Pendlebury, Cloke, Ried

Sidebottom ( Very Close to being A-grade), Elliot, Broomhead, Adams, Grundy and Witts (Perhaps I am being overly generous with these two ruckmen but to have shown so much potential and played as much as they have at such a young age I am very optimistic)

Brown, Toovey, Sinclair, Langdon, Goldsack, Greenwood, Blair, Mcaffer, Keefe, Young and Marley Williams

C-Graders - Frost, Seedsman, Kennedy, Fasolo, Karnezis, Josh Thomas, White, Ramsay, Varcoe, Crisp, Dwyer

D-Grade - Armstrong, Gault (Typical slow delvelopment for a big bloke so bear with him)

Young Players with Potential yet to be realised but hopefully at least a few A-graders in future years but unlikely to be A-grader in 2015 :- Freeman, Moore, Oxley (I am a big wrap for this kid if he can get and stay fit), Sharenberg, Marsh, Mason Cox and Pick 5 from upcoming draft ( Laverde is the one I am hoping for)

The other wild card is once favorite Dane Swan. Swannie's last couple of years are so far below his stellar 2010 & 2011 years as to be almost unrecogniseable. However, there were glimses ( all too few) of that magic on the MCG where he reminded us of what used to be e.g. Anzac Day 2015. Apparently Swannie had injuries that reduced his input so I feel if Collingwood is to feature in September then Swannie needs to have a final good season. Unfortunately I am not so optimistic that he is capable of it any longer.

We lack class in the mid field so hence the need to recrut another couple of big bodied classy players in this years draft of which one will hopefully be Laverde.

Hence I suggest that 2015 will be a tough year, but if the team can engender the same spirt as 2002, then who knows what could be and of course we all want to defend our record as the only team to have won the Grade Final that is played in October in AFL ( Not VFL) history!!

That assessment seems harsh to me, but I gotta say its fair.

Apart from Seedsman - he's no C-grader

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:40 pm

You can't say first or second year players like Kennedy, Frost, Seedsman and Crisp are C-grade players after just a handful of games. Some players develop faster than others. Wait till they have played 50 games or more before you make a judgement.
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Boot wrote:

Pendlebury, Cloke, Ried

Harsh? He has Blair, Sinclair, Toovey & Young as "B graders". Generous rather than harsh, I would have thought.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Boot wrote:

Pendlebury, Cloke, Ried

Seedsman has a lot of potential, but I'm yet to be convinced he'll live up to it, he really needs to take the next step and become a consistent performer.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:25 pm

We've got plenty of depth now. What we need is for many of our best 22 to become better players. We need around six A grade players imo. Currently we have only 2 in Pendles and Sidey. We need Cloke, Reid, Swanny (who are all hopefully over their injuries) and someone like Elliott to jump up from B to A grade next season. If that happens then I reckon we are a genuine top 4 chance.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Boot wrote:

Pendlebury, Cloke, Ried

We've got 19 guys on the list with 40+ games experience so not hard to imagine we'd be down on established "A-graders". Not too hard to agree Pendles, Cloke and Reid are in that bracket. I think Sidebottom moved to that level with his end of season form. Also think Swanny still deserves to be counted in that company, another injury riddled season in 2015 and we may need to re-assess.

Get's pretty hard after that. Can/will turn quickly as some of these very promising kids take their chances. Will it be in 2015 remains the $M question. I believe we'll get another few emerge in 2015, maybe not to elite status, but B+ and rising. Elliott is the most obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: