Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Team - for now.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
roar wrote:
Why do I seem to be the only one who is concerned about lack of footskills come out of defence?

That's why I prefer Frost over Toovey and Langdon or Varcoe over Sinclair.

Frost over Langdon for footskills??? No way!! Height maybe, but no way footskills.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:25 pm

roar wrote:
Why do I seem to be the only one who is concerned about lack of footskills come out of defence?

And yet again I say, go and check Sinclair's disposal efficiency. Yep, he missed a couple of goals, move on!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Fatui Attata wrote:
roar wrote:

Frost over Langdon for footskills??? No way!! Height maybe, but no way footskills.

I think he was suggesting Frost v Tooves; Langdon/Varcoe v Sinclair.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 pm

I think Reid has to play back. I know there are compelling reasons for him to play forward and yes, Bucks kept saying he was going to play forward at this time last year, but that was before we found out White wasn't going to cut the mustard.

I also think that we must improve our kicking out of defence, whilst not losing pace. So I've gone for a slick kicking, hard running defence, with the required experience and body size.

B: Frost Brown Williams

HB: Langdon Reid Seedsman

C: Sidebottom Pendlebury Varcoe

HF: Freeman Cloke Broomhead

F: Elliott Karnezis Goldsack

Foll: Witts Swan Greenwood

IC: Grundy Fasolo Adams Blair

EM: Toovey, White, Keeffe, Thomas

Depth: Young Kennedy Sinclair Oxley Crisp Marsh Gault Dwyer

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 pm

jackcass wrote:
Fatui Attata wrote:
roar wrote:

What I'm suggesting is when everybody is back, Nathan Brown is a shoe in for FB and either Reid goes back to CHB or Keeffe plays as the other tall defender. So then Frost and Tooves are competing for the same position whether it be medium tall defender (Tooves) or another tall defender (Frost). Tooves is better at rebound than Frost, but Frost is the better lock down of the two, so that balances out. But Frost has better foot skills than Tooves and doesn't turn the ball over as much, so I prefer Frost to Tooves.
Marley is a lock in in the back pocket, has good foot skills and is good at rebound. So if Tooves comes up to half back, you have Langdon, Varcoe and Sinclair competing for one position, unless Varcoe plays further up the ground on wing or half forward. So then it's Langdon versus Sinclair. Sinclair is the faster of the two offering more rebound, but Sinclair turns the ball over more than Langdon. For that reason alone I prefer Langdon to Sinclair.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 pm

jackcass wrote:
Fatui Attata wrote:
roar wrote:

What I'm suggesting is when everybody is back, Nathan Brown is a shoe in for FB and either Reid goes back to CHB or Keeffe plays as the other tall defender. So then Frost and Tooves are competing for the same position whether it be medium tall defender (Tooves) or another tall defender (Frost). Tooves is better at rebound than Frost, but Frost is the better lock down of the two, so that balances out. But Frost has better foot skills than Tooves and doesn't turn the ball over as much, so I prefer Frost to Tooves.
Marley is a lock in in the back pocket, has good foot skills and is good at rebound. So if Tooves comes up to half back, you have Langdon, Varcoe and Sinclair competing for one position, unless Varcoe plays further up the ground on wing or half forward. So then it's Langdon versus Sinclair. Sinclair is the faster of the two offering more rebound, but Sinclair turns the ball over more than Langdon. For that reason alone I prefer Langdon to Sinclair.

And I repeat, check Sinclair's DE. Actually compare it to Langdon's.

You continue to pick players based on your perceptions of their flaws and limitations rather than their potential capacity so by default you stifle growth.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:48 pm

jackcass wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Fatui Attata wrote:
roar wrote:

And I repeat, check Sinclair's DE. Actually compare it to Langdon's.

You continue to pick players based on your perceptions of their flaws and limitations rather than their potential capacity so by default you stifle growth.

if it were langdon vs sinclair, i'd pick sinkers nine times out of ten. if he can stay fit we should expect a big year from him. also, given it's langdon's second year it could go either way. here's hoping he continues on. with a full list to choose from he is going to have greater competition for a spot than what he experienced this season.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Langdon's disposal efficiency would be lower than average due to he being a first year player and making mistakes due to nervousness. He looks like a very good kick to me.
Sinclair has been in the system about 4 years and still turns the ball over whenever I watch him. So what exactly are Sinclair's disposal efficiency stats? Could someone quote them for me. Are they average, less than average or higher than average?
Varcoe doesn't turn over the ball to me, so I surprised when I read in the paper that his disposal efficiency stats are below average.
Can stats lie?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 pm

John Wren wrote:
if it were langdon vs sinclair, i'd pick sinkers nine times out of ten. if he can stay fit we should expect a big year from him. also, given it's langdon's second year it could go either way. here's hoping he continues on. with a full list to choose from he is going to have greater competition for a spot than what he experienced this season.

Based on what we've seen of the 2 I'd agree JW but at the same time I have high expectations of both in 2015.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Langdon's disposal efficiency would be lower than average due to he being a first year player and making mistakes due to nervousness. He looks like a very good kick to me.
Sinclair has been in the system about 4 years and still turns the ball over whenever I watch him. So what exactly are Sinclair's disposal efficiency stats? Could someone quote them for me. Are they average, less than average or higher than average?
Varcoe doesn't turn over the ball to me, so I surprised when I read in the paper that his disposal efficiency stats are below average.
Can stats lie?

Langdon gets a pass because he's a first year player yet Sinclair gets tagged as having poor disposal because he missed a few goals in his first few games. That's the sort of double standards that frustrate me.

Stats aren't the be all end all but they're an indication. I don't subscribe to any of the stats sites so can't provide them but Sinclair consistently in the 75-85% range whenever they're published. Sinclair now has 44 games under his belt and you'd expect him to either stamp himself as a player or fall by the way. I'm a fan and hope it's the former.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:27 pm

jackcass wrote:
Can stats lie?

Langdon gets a pass because he's a first year player yet Sinclair gets tagged as having poor disposal because he missed a few goals in his first few games. That's the sort of double standards that frustrate me.

Stats aren't the be all end all but they're an indication. I don't subscribe to any of the stats sites so can't provide them but Sinclair consistently in the 75-85% range whenever they're published. Sinclair now has 44 games under his belt and you'd expect him to either stamp himself as a player or fall by the way. I'm a fan and hope it's the former.

Well I accept what you say Jackcass. Let's hope that Sinclair is not injured again next year, so we can properly assess his performance.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 pm

When Blair is playing in the VFL
Will be the day I believe that Buckley
has at least a half a brain!

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 pm
Post subject: Re: The Team - for now.Reply with quote

E wrote:
Assuming none of the kids we recruit are ready in round 1, ans assuming that Scharenberg and Macaffer are the only two players not available for selection, and having regard to my hopes for the improvement in some of our kids, here is my go at round 1 2015.

B: Williams, Brown, Toovey
HB Langdon, Frost, Sinclair
C: Sidebottom, Greenwood, Varcoe
HF: Goldsack, Reid, Broomhead
F: Elliot, Cloke, Swan

R: Witts, Pendles, Adams

Bench: Grundy, Freeman, Kennedy, Seedsman

Pushing for selection: Keefe, White, Blair, Young, Fasolo, Thomas, Dwyer, Karnezis

Too young (or not good enough) to consider: Ramsey, Marsh, Oxley, Armstrong, Crisp, Moore, Pick 5, Pick 30, Pick 48

If Moore has a good PS he plays in round 1 IMO, I'd put him in a fwd pkt, no point stuffing around with him, the sooner we get him in the ones the better.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:07 am

jackcass wrote:
Can stats lie?

Sinclair is not AFL standard IMO.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 am

jackcass wrote:
Can stats lie?

Well I accept what you say Jackcass. Let's hope that Sinclair is not injured again next year, so we can properly assess his performance.

Too true, time will tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: