Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I plead with Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Corporate greed risks killing the game.

I suspect only a big fall in crowd attendances next year will spur the AFL to listen to fans. The decision all those years ago to abandon suburban grounds resulted, inevitably, in the homogenisation of the game. Clubs are now franchises not representatives of communities. The AFL has treated fans with utter contempt in the way they have destroyed the sense of 'home' at the MCG and Docklands. Their insane scheduling, insulting pre-game/half-time 'entertainment', constant barraging of advertising, high prices and heavy handed policing of crowd behaviour have all contributed to a rather soulless experience going to the footy nowadays. Last year, for the first time in my life, despite being a Legends member with a reserve seat and living only 10 mins walk from the MCG, I chose to stay at home and watch my beloved Magpies on TV several times, instead of going to the game. Something is seriously wrong.

Great post Rudeboy. Feel the same.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm

David wrote:
Great article, Joffa, thanks for posting. I'm not usually one to endorse copying other sports, but in this case we could do worse than follow the A-League model. If it works for them, why not us?

You've missed the point David.
We don't need to copy soccer - we HAD atmosphere in spades until recently.......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
It will never work while the club controls the cheer squad. The terraces are run by the fans for the fans. Last year the North terrace had a year long protest against the club because the club was trying to impose measures the NT opposed. The club folded and our NT has grown.

The difference is the club and the AFL would never hand control over to the fans. I agree it would be awesome if the atmosphere was as good as Saturday night, I don't think it ever will though.

schuey07

Our terraces are dying at the MCG so we ask is it our club instructing the MCC security to police anti fun or is it just the MCC with tea pot rules ? in fear of offending the theatre goers ? This is a very real and if we sit back and do nothing it will get worse.

Gillon has promised 2015 to be the year of the fans, Well Gillon if your serious lets read where you have instructed the MCC that its ok to stand behind the goals and patrons will not be evicted for doing so (in our case three bays wide known as The Barrackers End )
Lets read where its ok to bring the biggest mother of all flags to wave about and not have them confiscated because of some over size bullshit thing.

Lets read its ok to chant what we like as long as it is not over offensive not to be told by club or MCC if you chant that again you will removed from the stadium.

Lets read that the person who goes week in week out is the person we want to look after and not the tossers who decide for whatever reason today looks a good day for the footy.

Lets read we want all bays behind goals to bring fun and passion back to our terraces and not be told to sit down and shut up and please don't dare yell out to the goal umpire he's a wanker because if you do you will be removed from the stadium.

Lets read hey guys we got it wrong we're sorry we now appreciate what you supporters bring to the game..Bring it back ten fold.

Lets read we have a new section put aside at the MCG for those who pretend to be offended by the passionate ones.

Lets read passion has nothing to do with hooliganism
Lets read That all interstate games at the MCG all kids will be free of charge, People on welfare in you go at five bucks.

For Gods Sake lets read something Gillon ???

Stop the whistling and lets get dancing!

Im getting all mind tied and tongue tied there both racing one another with words... Im hoping your guessing what im trying to say Smile

Where do we sign????

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:16 pm

King Monkey wrote:
David wrote:
Great article, Joffa, thanks for posting. I'm not usually one to endorse copying other sports, but in this case we could do worse than follow the A-League model. If it works for them, why not us?

We don't need to copy soccer - we HAD atmosphere in spades until recently.......

a certain few seem to think we do.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:34 pm

King Monkey wrote:
David wrote:

I haven't missed the point at all. I read the article. Connolly's argument is that the A-League are currently permitting an atmosphere that is almost extinct now in the AFL. Whatever they're doing is working. My point is that, as much as I generally loathe 'copying' aspects of other codes, we could do a lot worse than to follow their lead.

Rudeboy, I fear that there will be no drastic decline in attendance. Much more likely that the game is just going to suffer a long, slow death. By the time the administration accepts that something's gone terribly wrong, it'll be too late. The culture of football attendance that's been passed on through generations will be gone, and all that will remain will be increasingly desperate attempts to boost interest through temporary, artificial gimmicks. It won't work, because you can't fake culture. It's either there or it isn't.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:41 pm

David wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
David wrote:

I haven't missed the point at all. I read the article. Connolly's argument is that the A-League are currently permitting an atmosphere that is almost extinct now in the AFL. Whatever they're doing is working. My point is that, as much as I generally loathe 'copying' aspects of other codes, we could do a lot worse than to follow their lead.

Rudeboy, I fear that there will be no drastic decline in attendance. Much more likely that the game is just going to suffer a long, slow death. By the time the administration accepts that something's gone terribly wrong, it'll be too late. The culture of football attendance that's been passed on through generations will be gone, and all that will remain will be increasingly desperate attempts to boost interest through temporary, artificial gimmicks. It won't work, because you can't fake culture. It's either there or it isn't.

I think you're right David. I guess that's what I was suggesting......that unless there's a sudden big drop off in attendances, nothing much will change. I mean ffs, when the AFL endorses Brisbane's plan to use a circus trained lion to drum up pre-game excitement, it just shows how f*cked things have become.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:00 pm

So what we're saying here is that people are staying away from the game because they can't cheer properly?......... really?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
So what we're saying here is that people are staying away from the game because they can't cheer properly?......... really?

That's really what you get from the discussion or are you just being purposefully dense? The whole feeling of going to games has become sterile and controlled, so the culture of attending games changes because if it's not 'fun' then it's just an obligation.

From the wanker hotlines (the caller is the wanker 9/10 times), overpriced food and drink, lack of natural atmosphere because all the fun things have been banned to the stupid artifical USA inspired 'entertainment', the game we've loved for over a century is mutating into an uninspiring mess.

There are many layers to this onion and not being able to barrack how we always have is but the tip of an iceberg that the good ship AFL is heading towards at full steam.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm

i think we have the greatest game in the world. very few games can provide us with the array of skills, strength and scoring that afl gives us.

i plead to be left alone to watch a game i love. i am happy just going to the game, watching it and then leaving. i have oft stated i don't need nor want the oversaturated game day experience. i also don't want the game day experience to be turned into a soccer experience. if i want that i will go to the a-league.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:16 pm

What would you consider to be a "soccer" experience, JW?
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I only attended about 5 senior games this year partly due to the draw but mainly because I simply prefer attending my country sides games of a weekend (despite travelling 2 hours to get there as opposed to a 40min trip to Melbourne).

The reason for that is the same as everyone else. The game day experience is overpriced, overly sanitized, corporate saturated and sterile and I don't get the same buzz as I once did from watching the Pies live.

I miss the colour, the floggers, banners and flags that used to add colour and a sense of tribalism . I miss the pre match entertainment of watching our reserves boys do battle instead of some fu*king urban dance posse. I miss the authentic pre match atmosphere full of thousands of voices talking about the upcoming game and our prospects in it instead of some kiss cam bullshit or canned crowd noise or pounding friggin music ruining the natural build up and theatre.

I won't give up just yet though. As seen by Port Adelaide a sense of belonging and crowd participation can quickly take charge if the powers that be listen and take our handcuffs off and let the masses experience the footy like they used to. Let us have fun once again where win lose or draw you once always felt that you got your money's worth instead of feeling like you are a mere pawn in a greater AFL corporate/marketing exercise.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:18 pm

John Wren wrote:

i think we have the greatest game in the world. very few games can provide us with the array of skills, strength and scoring that afl gives us.

i plead to be left alone to watch a game i love. i am happy just going to the game, watching it and then leaving. i have oft stated i don't need nor want the oversaturated game day experience. i also don't want the game day experience to be turned into a soccer experience. if i want that i will go to the a-league.

The problem is JW that the game day experience is being slowly destroyed, by constant advertising, inane pre-game/half-time 'entertainment', and fake crowd noise and pumping music. Everything has to be packaged these days, because that's the only way money can be generated. Anything which comes from the people must be weeded out and destroyed. Seriously, capitalism kills culture.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
John Wren wrote:

The problem is JW that the game day experience is being slowly destroyed, by constant advertising, inane pre-game/half-time 'entertainment', and fake crowd noise and pumping music. Everything has to be packaged these days, because that's the only way money can be generated. Anything which comes from the people must be weeded out and destroyed. Seriously, capitalism kills culture.

i get all this. it's almost a necessary burden. the "game day experience" is such a complex beast. for some it is simply being able to make some noise, cheer for your team. for others it is the ability to release and escape from the pressures of daily life. for many it's about catching up with their football family. others want the full gamut where they can do stuff as well as watch a game of sport. and there are many for whom footy is their life. and, there are those, like me, who simply want to watch their team play.

i couldn't give a fat rat's if the cs is not chanting. i also don't really care if there is 10,000 or 100,000 at the game. i don't go to the footy for that.

what would footy look like if we retained the suburban grounds, did not see the explosion in player wages and did not have the clubs' arms race?

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
People in there droves have headed back to suburban football....Its all very sad it's doing my head in so bad it'll burst any day now Sad

It's good that people are returning to suburban football. If there were enough people doing that, the AFL HQ would have to do something.

This was the second year running that I attended more VFL games than AFL, and I can't see that trend reversing. I love Collingwood but hate what the AFL has become, and I am certainly not alone in that feeling.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

one other thing rudie, whilst there are many saying otherwise, someone must be telling the marketing and game day experience boffins at our club that we want this stuff.

the club has a game day manager whatever that role entails. perhpas we should all bombard her to ask her to make it stop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: