Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What chances Laverde?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Az 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:
Hine may have his eye on somebody we don't expect. I don't think we should just assume Laverde is the main one on our radar. It may be that there is somebody outside the expected 4 that we are being very quiet about.

Well said.

I'm already sick of Laverde.

I'm now on version 6 for who I want us to pick up for no 5.

All this hype, I'm off the Laverde bandwagon. He's done nuttin'

No-one's assuming we're after Laverde. I said in my OP that Hine may well have someone else in mind, but seeing as many of my fellow Nicksters are keen for us to draft Laverde, I just wanted some idea of the chances he'd be selected before we get our pick.

GWS could throw a spanner in the works and take him at 4, from what I've read the top 3 is pretty much set in stone with Wright likely to go at 4, but some are saying Wright could slide and if he does it's likely GWS will take Laverde.

Unless they plan on buying their way to a flag, you'd think they're better off going with Lever or Wright. They have midfielders coming out of their ears, surely their policy of take the best player available would this year be changed to drafting on a needs basis. The only real reason I could see them going for Laverde is if they anticipate some of their mids to want out next year. I suppose with Griffin arriving, someone is getting pushed out.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:04 am

I think we are in a great position, because it would be nearly impossible for us to end up with anyone other than Wright, Laverde, Mccartin or Brayshaw.
Laverde will do me just fine and if Wright drops down, we have a spine for the future ala Reid and Brown, who incidentally are still only 25 years old, yes you heard it right 25 years old!!!

If someone tells me Laverde has the motor to become an elite runner then I will say, Show Me The Laverde !!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Ideally I'd love McCartin but I think Melbourne will either take him at pick 2 or 3. Petracca is certainly going to be the number 1 pick as St.Kilda are very eager on him.

It's likely that Laverde will go to Collingwood unless GWS does something unexpected at pick 4 or Hine decides to go with someone out of the blue at pick 5. I'd be very pleased to take Leverde at pick 5 and I'm set on him now but who knows what may transpire within the next month.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Reckon the Pies would be silly to consider Wright given we are going to find it difficult to play Grundy and Witts in the same 18 unless they both improve their forward line skills.

Laverde is that modern day tall, athletic, skilful and accurate ball user the Pies have an "aversion to recruiting". We need him.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:43 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Reckon the Pies would be silly to consider Wright given we are going to find it difficult to play Grundy and Witts in the same 18 unless they both improve their forward line skills.

Laverde is that modern day tall, athletic, skilful and accurate ball user the Pies have an "aversion to recruiting". We need him.

Wright, by his own admission is first and foremost a forward. He prefers to play there, his coaches like him as a forward who can ruck rather than a ruck who can rest forward, and most importantly, he is a beautiful set shot on goal and can consistently kick from 55-60m out.

A forward line of Moore, Wright and Witts/Grundy resting forward would be a nightmare for opposition to match up on in a few years.

People need to get the whole idea of Wright being a ruckman just because of his height out of their head. He is an excellent prospect as a permanent forward for any team that chooses to use him that way.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Yep, well said, Stupied. Must admit I get pretty frustrated with all the "we don't need another ruck" posts.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:14 pm

inxs88 wrote:

I see Wright more as a Forward. He is like Kurt Tippett

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm

That's great but can you see Witts, White and Cloke in the forward line at any stage???
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 pm

inxs88 wrote:
That's great but can you see Witts, White and Cloke in the forward line at any stage???

I don't see how that's relevant. Tall forwards typically take 2-3 years of development before playing consistent senior football. Given that Cloke is turning 27 and White is on a 3 year(?) deal, both will be nearing the end of their time at the pies when Moore and Wright will be due to start playing senior footy. Now is the time to be investing in our future forwards given Cloke's age and question marks over Reid's durability.

Even if Cloke plays in to his 30's (he has been remarkably durable), Moore is very capable at both ends of the ground. We would be negligent from a list management perspective to overlook a top 5 KPF prospect if we had access to him, just because we couldn't fit him in as best 22 from day dot.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Jezza wrote:
Ideally I'd love McCartin but I think Melbourne will either take him at pick 2 or 3. Petracca is certainly going to be the number 1 pick as St.Kilda are very eager on him.

It's likely that Laverde will go to Collingwood unless GWS does something unexpected at pick 4 or Hine decides to go with someone out of the blue at pick 5. I'd be very pleased to take Leverde at pick 5 and I'm set on him now but who knows what may transpire within the next month.

McCartin could slide out of the top 4 if clubs aren't willing to gamble on his health issues (highly unlikely), from what I've read he's the clear no1 KF on exposed form.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Stupied wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

I don't see how that's relevant. Tall forwards typically take 2-3 years of development before playing consistent senior football. Given that Cloke is turning 27 and White is on a 3 year(?) deal, both will be nearing the end of their time at the pies when Moore and Wright will be due to start playing senior footy. Now is the time to be investing in our future forwards given Cloke's age and question marks over Reid's durability.

Even if Cloke plays in to his 30's (he has been remarkably durable), Moore is very capable at both ends of the ground. We would be negligent from a list management perspective to overlook a top 5 KPF prospect if we had access to him, just because we couldn't fit him in as best 22 from day dot.

Agree that talls usually take at least three years to play consistent senior footy, but in the meantime they need to play inconsistent senior footy. You need to be able to get them into the 22 at stages to develop them. We have heaps of young very tall players in development. There are only so many positions for very tall players on the field.

I'd guess that Laverde to Collingwood would be odds on and I'll be happy with that

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Stupied wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Put it this way, if a quality tall is available, you take em. If you have someone else in their position, the challenge is to the kid, force yourself in and take their role. To succession plan you need to have options.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Stupied wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Agree that talls usually take at least three years to play consistent senior footy, but in the meantime they need to play inconsistent senior footy. You need to be able to get them into the 22 at stages to develop them. We have heaps of young very tall players in development. There are only so many positions for very tall players on the field.

I'd guess that Laverde to Collingwood would be odds on and I'll be happy with that

Reid played 8 games in his first 3 years.

Brown didn't play a single senior game in his first season.

I agree that games here and there in the seniors are important in the first few years, but those games inevitably come through injury to more senior players (or horrid form, which is likely with White in the team).
And while we have quite a few talls in development, the only tall forward on the list aside from Moore is Gault. As much as he progressed last year, would you seriously pass up a talent like Wright to keep Gault??? I'd be horrified if that was how our recruiting department thought...
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Put it this way, if a quality tall is available, you take em. If you have someone else in their position, the challenge is to the kid, force yourself in and take their role. To succession plan you need to have options.

Absolutely correct. Quality mids are a hell of a lot easier to come by than quality tall forwards. If we had the opportunity to get both Moore and Wright in the same draft and threw it away for a midfielder I'd be stunned.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Stupied wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Absolutely correct. Quality mids are a hell of a lot easier to come by than quality tall forwards. If we had the opportunity to get both Moore and Wright in the same draft and threw it away for a midfielder I'd be stunned.

You only need 2 quality KFs though, the more gun mids the better, and that is why Laverde is perfect, he's a utility with the ability to play in the midfield (in time), he can cut his teeth in the seniors in lesser positions and be of value while he matures.

We've invested heavily in out talls over the last few years, our first 2 picks over 2 of the last 3 drafts has been spent on 200cm players, add them to Cloke-Reid-Brown-Witts-Keefe-Frost-Gault-White-Marsh and it's clear we have enough tall timber, what we need now is polish.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: