Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What chances Laverde?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:00 pm
Post subject: What chances Laverde?Reply with quote

Obviously none of us know who Hine is after with pick 5, but most Nicksters, including me, seem very keen on us landing Laverde. So what I'd like to know is what are our chances of getting him? Or, put another way, what are the chances that he'll be picked by the Dees or GWS before pick 5?
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 pm
Post subject: Re: What chances Laverde?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Obviously none of us know who Hine is after with pick 5, but most Nicksters, including me, seem very keen on us landing Laverde. So what I'd like to know is what are our chances of getting him? Or, put another way, what are the chances that he'll be picked by the Dees or GWS before pick 5?

Let's face it, we are keen cause we've all watched the video & read what some so called experts have to say.

Hine may have other ideas. Last time we had 2 & 5 no one expected us to pick up Thomas @2 & Pendles @5. These picks probably won us a flag.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they're very good.

The word going around is that Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin will be the first 3 picked, in one combination or another. Lever has been considered a top 5 talent for a while now, ACL notwithstanding and Wright was one of the original 'big 4' tipped to go early all year. Either of those 2 are chances to go to GWS at pick 4.

So, assuming 4 of those 5 go before our pick, that leaves us with Laverde, with one of Wright or Lever still on the table if we decided to down that route as well. For what it's worth, AFL.com draft expert Cal Twomey has Laverde in line for us at pick 5. A couple of posters over at BigFooty reckon Hine really likes him, too...

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Doubt that the Dees or Saints would pick him. Saints have a massive chubby for Petracca and Melbourne surely would have learned their lesson after passing on Wines for Toumpas. Lock in Brayshaw and McCartin for them.

The only danger is GWS, but I would be staggered if they would risk losing Wright to us in the hope that they could get him at 6. Wright ticks too many boxes for them now Boyd is gone and Patton is out with an ACL, and he provides GWS with an apprentice to Mumford too. Only player I could see them taking ahead of him is Lever, given they have a real need for quality defenders and have Stewart and McCarthy to blood as forwards.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Hine may have his eye on somebody we don't expect. I don't think we should just assume Laverde is the main one on our radar. It may be that there is somebody outside the expected 4 that we are being very quiet about.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Stupied wrote:
Doubt that the Dees or Saints would pick him. Saints have a massive chubby for Petracca and Melbourne surely would have learned their lesson after passing on Wines for Toumpas. Lock in Brayshaw and McCartin for them.

The only danger is GWS, but I would be staggered if they would risk losing Wright to us in the hope that they could get him at 6. Wright ticks too many boxes for them now Boyd is gone and Patton is out with an ACL, and he provides GWS with an apprentice to Mumford too. Only player I could see them taking ahead of him is Lever, given they have a real need for quality defenders and have Stewart and McCarthy to blood as forwards.

There's the conundrum right there. Would GWS risk losing Wright?
We are almost obligated to take Wright if Laverde goes at 4 to GWS.
Interesting.

Last edited by Captain_MyCaptain on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 pm

woftam wrote:
Hine may have his eye on somebody we don't expect. I don't think we should just assume Laverde is the main one on our radar. It may be that there is somebody outside the expected 4 that we are being very quiet about.

Some Talk that Hine Highly Rates Kyle Langford

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
woftam wrote:

Some Talk that Hine Highly Rates Kyle Langford

At pick 30 or even 48 would be my guess Dave.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Captain_MyCaptain wrote:
Stupied wrote:

There's the conundrum right there. Would GWS risk losing Wright?
We are almost obligated to take Wright if Laverde goes at 5 to GWS.
Interesting.

Not obligated, but I would be surprised if he somehow slid and we passed on him. He has excellent speed on the lead for his height, is a clean mark, can roost goals from 55-60m with ease, is an accurate set shot and is capable of playing in the ruck if neccessary. Only knock on him is his contested marking, but having a guy like Trav to learn from would help enormously in that area.

I'm not sure how we could pass up a player like that for a mid, and although Laverde is quality, quality mids are a hell of a lot easier to come by than quality KPF's.

If Wright slips, we could potentially have the two best KPF's of the draft in our hands. That hasn't happened since the Hawks landed Buddy and Roughead.
Az 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Would love to get Laverde to the Pies! In saying that, last year we were dead set certainties to land Bont, so I won't exactly hold my breathe on this one. Of all the mids it seems he is the most well-rounded of them all in terms of skills.

The only knock on Wright is apparently he is a bit soft for such a big fella and doesn't have much mongrel about him. You want your ruckman/forwards to be very physical and it seems the talk is he doesn't have it. Alas, if he is the next best then I'm all for drafting him, after all I'm sure that's a mentality we can help instill in his game with time. At the end of the day, he is money in the bank if we are after one of the GWS kids next year. If we are truly after Jezza Cameron, I'm sure GWS wouldn't baulk at a trade of Wright for him.

Edit. I understand the insanity of talking about a potential trade of someone who is not even drafted yet, but it is the silly season.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:36 pm

woftam wrote:

Well said.

I'm already sick of Laverde.

I'm now on version 6 for who I want us to pick up for no 5.

All this hype, I'm off the Laverde bandwagon. He's done nuttin'

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 pm

watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:

Well said.

No-one's assuming we're after Laverde. I said in my OP that Hine may well have someone else in mind, but seeing as many of my fellow Nicksters are keen for us to draft Laverde, I just wanted some idea of the chances he'd be selected before we get our pick.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm pretty sure he'll go with a tallish utility/mid with foot skills, laverde seems to fit the bill but so do a few others, now we wait.

I can't see him going for Wright considering we have Grundy-Moore and Witts.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:

Well said.

No-one's assuming we're after Laverde. I said in my OP that Hine may well have someone else in mind, but seeing as many of my fellow Nicksters are keen for us to draft Laverde, I just wanted some idea of the chances he'd be selected before we get our pick.

GWS could throw a spanner in the works and take him at 4, from what I've read the top 3 is pretty much set in stone with Wright likely to go at 4, but some are saying Wright could slide and if he does it's likely GWS will take Laverde.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Az 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 am

Defender wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:

Well said.

GWS could throw a spanner in the works and take him at 4, from what I've read the top 3 is pretty much set in stone with Wright likely to go at 4, but some are saying Wright could slide and if he does it's likely GWS will take Laverde.

Unless they plan on buying their way to a flag, you'd think they're better off going with Lever or Wright. They have midfielders coming out of their ears, surely their policy of take the best player available would this year be changed to drafting on a needs basis. The only real reason I could see them going for Laverde is if they anticipate some of their mids to want out next year. I suppose with Griffin arriving, someone is getting pushed out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9   

Jump to: