Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should Reid play forward or back?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should Reid mainly play in 2015?
Up forward
44%
 44%  [ 16 ]
Down back
55%
 55%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 36

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Forwards win games. Defenders just take the credit when their opponent has a bad day. So forward.

What??

Defences win premierships.

Our back line leaks goals too easily. Fix that first then worry about scoring.

Our defence was improved during the last off season before injuries took there toll as the season wore on.

Our forward line and forward transition has been dysfunctional for two years now and this is why Reid might be used forward next year when suitable, why Elliott still needs to be played as one 70% of the time, why Blair needs to make way for Fasolo or Crisp, why Varcoe was recruited, why we need to keep playing Kennedy and Broomhead, why we hope Karnezis can stay fit, and why I'm hoping Laverde is taken at pick 5 to provide us with a classy medium tall forward option with outside speed and marking ability.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Back
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:01 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
But it's a moot point clearing the D50 if it just rebounds because you don't have F50 marking options.

Yes, he was AA at CHB but was recruited as a forward and may well have been an AA CHF if persisted with. There are guys who similarly are recruited as forwards who are best suited as backmen (eg Presti) but Reid has shown he can also produce as a forward. Quality key forwards are much harder to find.

I would submit that we have the following options...

1: Play Reid forward, leaving the backline without his field kicking, intercept marking and experience. The least-hassle option, and the one most popular with the fans, after we were mesmerised with his 2013 form as a KPF.

2: Play White as the 2nd forward, with one of the kids as the 'Leigh Brown', releasing Reid back. Contrary to urban myth, White's best football (his 2013 at Sydney and the 1st half of his 2014 with us) was as the 2nd forward, quarantined from the ruck. Time for him to stand up. Would be a massive win for us if he could do it consistently...

3: Play Gault as 2nd forward, with White or one of the kid rucks as the 'Leigh Brown'. Now in his 4th year, it's time for Corey Gault to stand up and become that 2nd forward, which could release Reid back. Stui likes this scenario...

4: Play one of Grundy or Witts as the 2nd forward, with White playing as the 'Leigh Brown'. Again, if Grundy (now in his 3rd year) could start to really develop his forward game, we would have a real winner and allow us to send Reid back with no hassles. Dave likes this option...

5: Play Moore from the get-go, with White or one of the kid rucks as the 'Leigh Brown'. If you take the view that 2015 is another year in the rebuild, and not one where we contend, then this is probably the best option, as it starts the transition to a post-Cloke forward line. It releases Reid back, but in the knowledge that Moore will struggle initially. Won't happen, because the club want to play Moore as a defender. Dave, I imagine, might like this option too...

6: Recruit a mature-age state league key forward in the draft. I recommend Brett Eddy, once previously our VFL team's designated KPF. Kicked 67 goals from 21 games for preliminary finalist South Adelaide in the SANFL, becoming his club's and the comp's leading goal kicker in the process. Took 136 marks, at an average of just under 6.5 marks per game. Only just turned 24 a couple of months ago. Could become our younger version of J-Pod. Releases Reid back, with White or one of the kids to ruck...

hah. Very Happy

I liked tannin's earlier post about turning forwards into mids, I also like your thoughts there.

look, we have more defensive options than forward options so I reckon Reid plays forward. Let's keep in mind that the only times players are actually in set positions is at centre bounces after a goal, so the rest of the time it's an under 10's pack roaming the oval, so whether we need 2, 3 or 4 tall forwards is unknown.

Grundy and Witts are Ruckmen who can play forward. Gault and White are forwards who can play ruck, and can both do a more than passable job as an around the ground ruckman. (Corey has massively improved at the ruckwork this year).

I'd just like us to have the option to have a full list fit to select from, and play players with others waiting in the wings.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Remember, he played most of his junior footy as a CHF and played there when he debuted for us. It was only his bad goal kicking which resulted in him being moved to defence, where he won All Australian honours. However, since his goal kicking has improved dramatically, he has shown he can become the 2nd tall forward we've needed ever since we lost The Anvil and Dawes. I'd play him up forward alongside Cloke and one of Witts or Grundy.
TC15 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm not to fussed at which end of the ground he plays at, just want to see him string some games together, we look a better team when he is a part of it
Bolsheviki 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:03 am

Reidy for CHB. Was worth the gamble and could still wander up forward occasionally depending on the opposition, however time to shore up the back half. Defence looked vulnerable all year, particularly after Maxy went down - do his fitness and confidence the world of good too and lets not forget, how superb he played in that position when fit and going.
Will have to be Cloke and White up forward for the time being and either Witts and Grundy there for the chopout when resting.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 am

I've said it a million times DOWN BACK AND NO WHERE NEAR FORWARD AGAIN!!!!!!!

Close thread down!
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:20 am

If Reid plays back a good quality AFL defender in Brown, Frost or Keeffe goes to waste, and we play a less-than-good quality forward.

Way to waste a guy's flexibility

buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Was at a recent coterie event and a recently departed Football Manager indicated that he thought and some of the senior players thought he would be best utilised at CHB.

I tend to agree. We just need to get our forward line functioning better.

with respect to his injuries, he and his brother have similar issues with soft tissue injuries. The Swans have managed them better and the club have acknowledged that. He has a very targeted conditioning campaign for 2015 preseason to work around this. Let's hope to see some results and multiple consecutive games in 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: