Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Levi Greenwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Plea to ModsReply with quote

skaman wrote:
One of the reasons I don't post or read Nicks as often now. Place used to buzz with enthusiasm, vibrance ,occasionally humourous. Still asked hard questions and relevant critism of players, coach and club as warranted, BUT in a constructive way. Too much in fighting, personal attacks and BLATENT goating of fellow posters into negative arguments (All meant to be in the Collingwood family). I havnt pulled the pin (and don't want to), but could the Mods be a little more pro active in perhaps the red card area for blatent breaches. We all know the antagonists, and not having a go at you guys by any means, it must be a tough gig and I commend you for it. Hope this place straightens itself up a bit. I miss a lot of the older posters, whom I have noticed have dropped off quite significantly. P.S feel free to move this post as fit. Cheers Rob

Skaman, I post with enthusiasm and vibrancy and am (very occasionally) humourous. Its worth hanging around to read my posts alone.

Oh, and in my opinion defender, tannin and Swoop are also worth a laugh (especially now that defender has pulled himself away from the dark side and has returned to his humourous sarcastic self). PNC and Think Positive also good for wit and entertainment value. There are many others. such a shame that an agenda of one or two persons can encite this reaction in posters like you. It shows that everyone has a responsibility to use their power of free speech responsibly....

Last edited by E on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 pm

skaman wrote:
One of the reasons I don't post or read Nicks as often now. Place used to buzz with enthusiasm, vibrance ,occasionally humourous. Still asked hard questions and relevant critism of players, coach and club as warranted, BUT in a constructive way. Too much in fighting, personal attacks and BLATENT goating of fellow posters into negative arguments (All meant to be in the Collingwood family). I havnt pulled the pin (and don't want to), but could the Mods be a little more pro active in perhaps the red card area for blatent breaches. We all know the antagonists, and not having a go at you guys by any means, it must be a tough gig and I commend you for it. Hope this place straightens itself up a bit. I miss a lot of the older posters, whom I have noticed have dropped off quite significantly. P.S feel free to move this post as fit. Cheers Rob

All those in question (myself included) have been put on notice, IMO posters on both sides of the argument put their pride before the needs of the club, I was guilty of that and I'm happy to admit this, I just pray to Daicos our onfeild situation improves next season.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 am

Defender wrote:
skaman wrote:

All those in question (myself included) have been put on notice, IMO posters on both sides of the argument put their pride before the needs of the club, I was guilty of that and I'm happy to admit this, I just pray to Daicos our onfeild situation improves next season.

And a much appreciated sacrifice it is. Tone of the site has improved markedly. I commend all for the return to robust discussion on all things Collingwood. Floreat pica!
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 am

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
skaman wrote:

And a much appreciated sacrifice it is. Tone of the site has improved markedly. I commend all for the return to robust discussion on all things Collingwood. Floreat pica!

Just remember dude, even though things have returned to normal, there are always going to be people on this site who pay more in taxes than you earn in salary (even unemployed fridge supervisors) ......

Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The tone on here has improved with the one exception previously mentioned.

I've found myself pleasantly surprised by some of the more optimistic tone of posting by people who were once firmly in the miserable zone (Defender take a bow) which has made the discussions actually more interesting without everyone necessarily agreeing on everything all the time.

As for Greenwood I'm going to make a massive call and tip him for a top 3 Copeland finish in 2015 barring injury. This is a bloke who is talented, disciplined, tough, professional and just entering his football prime (unlike some other mature age recruits we've had over the years) and he has the added stability of a club that actively wanted him, a coach who believes in him, a long term contract and a clearly defined midfield role.

Now don't make a dummy of me Levi. No pressure son Very Happy
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 pm

skaman wrote:

Well said Rob.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
skaman wrote:

Just remember dude, even though things have returned to normal, there are always going to be people on this site who pay more in taxes than you earn in salary (even unemployed fridge supervisors) ......

All of which makes them no more or less entitled to an opinion than me...regardless of how true or false your comments are Wink
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:08 am

Can you see what you're doing? CD makes one comment and twenty fools jump in boots first and demand he be ejected. He didn't de-rail the thread, the rest of you did! I happen not to agree with CD on this occasion but so what? The guy is allowed to post a dissenting view! He didn't abuse anyone or depart from the topic, but the rest of you did! People don't all have to fall in with the popular view. In the words of the greatest of the French philosophers: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I apologise for departing from the topic, it was Levi Greenwood in case you forgot. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, if he's anything like a replacement for Beamer he'll be very welcome, at the least he'll add to our midfield. Any thoughts on a nickname?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am

35forever wrote:
Can you see what you're doing? CD makes one comment and twenty fools jump in boots first and demand he be ejected. He didn't de-rail the thread, the rest of you did! I happen not to agree with CD on this occasion but so what? The guy is allowed to post a dissenting view! He didn't abuse anyone or depart from the topic, but the rest of you did! People don't all have to fall in with the popular view. In the words of the greatest of the French philosophers: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."I apologise for departing from the topic, it was Levi Greenwood in case you forgot. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, if he's anything like a replacement for Beamer he'll be very welcome, at the least he'll add to our midfield. Any thoughts on a nickname?

Voltaire never said that to begin with.

And Collie Dog is a troll whose every post is designed to denigrate the football club and players we are all meant to support and as a by product piss most other posters off and as a consequence derail threads.

If you can't see that you should be reading less erroneous French philosophy and instead taking a visit to Specsavers to get a prescription to enable you to ID the bleeding obvious.
35forever 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 am

Oh wow Flash, I guess you're just too clever! Evelyn B Hall was attempting to sum up the views of Voltaire (who I didn't mention) when she wrote the line and believed it paraphrased what he thought. It's fairly common practice to attribute it to him as a summation of his revolutionary thoughts as he didn't provide one himself, and its only people who are trying to score cheap points who delight in correcting those who do so. Such people usually ignore the point altogether, just as you have.
If you don't like someone's view, argue with it, but calling for heads every time you read a sentence you don't like makes you look like a 6 year old telling the teacher.
So good to know we've got an expert on French literature here! I bet you've got quite the reading list!

Or a good internet connection.

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:07 am

35forever wrote:
Oh wow Flash, I guess you're just too clever! Evelyn B Hall was attempting to sum up the views of Voltaire (who I didn't mention) when she wrote the line and believed it paraphrased what he thought. It's fairly common practice to attribute it to him as a summation of his revolutionary thoughts as he didn't provide one himself, and its only people who are trying to score cheap points who delight in correcting those who do so. Such people usually ignore the point altogether, just as you have.
If you don't like someone's view, argue with it, but calling for heads every time you read a sentence you don't like makes you look like a 6 year old telling the teacher.
So good to know we've got an expert on French literature here! I bet you've got quite the reading list!

Or a good internet connection

I've got both actually as I can see you have also as you've obviously visited Wikipedia to find out who you were really misquoting unless of course you have spare Voltaire biographies laying about the house (yeah sure) Laughing

The mods are trying to improve the tone of this forum and I've been asked to do my bit which I will. But obviously inflammatory posts like Collie Dogs such as labeling our new recruit a "reject" which he isn't and before he has played a game is disgraceful and exactly the kind of stuff that leads to negative and personal posting.

Maybe if you joined on board and engaged in robust discussion in good spirit instead of calling your fellow posters "fools", defending a troll whose modus operandi is blatantly obvious and doesn't deserve defending and trying to ram your pseudo intellectualism down everyone's throat then the mods might have a chance to get things back in order which I'm sure even you would like to see?
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:34 pm

skaman wrote:

I have for the first time used the ignore button not something that I thought I would do but 2 people here have frustrated me with their posts and hope not to hear them again!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 pm

The way I see it the vast majority of posters are on the same wavelength. There are a few diehard Pies supporters who are upset with the coach - and possibly fair enough - certainly they represent supporters that I know not on this forum. Of course there are also supporters out there who seem to love to bag the club, coach, players, supporters - there are collingwood 'supporters' and you find them at games now and then - seemingly enjoying games we are losing or bagging players out so much people around start to get irritated. And then of course there are the trolls who just come to stir and hate collingwood and all associated with our great club. They are also like a lot of folk out there - when you have a gathering with mates or wherever it is pretty typical to find those with strong feelings against the mighty pies. They are the black dot in a sea of white and do annoy now and then when you are looking to hang with pie supporters - but that is virtual reality. - Good with the Bad - let em have their say - respond don't respond - ultimately does it really matter what anyone says about anything?

I personally question Collie Dog or Jack Spain was a Collingwood supporter but I enjoy debating his views on Collingwood, monarchy and politics and whatever else he usually spews forth. I will try not to copy his comments into my replies in future given the annoyance he causes others.

35forever 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Flashman wrote:
35forever wrote:

Or a good internet connection

I've got both actually as I can see you have also as you've obviously visited Wikipedia to find out who you were really misquoting unless of course you have spare Voltaire biographies laying about the house (yeah sure) Laughing

The mods are trying to improve the tone of this forum and I've been asked to do my bit which I will. But obviously inflammatory posts like Collie Dogs such as labeling our new recruit a "reject" which he isn't and before he has played a game is disgraceful and exactly the kind of stuff that leads to negative and personal posting.

Maybe if you joined on board and engaged in robust discussion in good spirit instead of calling your fellow posters "fools", defending a troll whose modus operandi is blatantly obvious and doesn't deserve defending and trying to ram your pseudo intellectualism down everyone's throat then the mods might have a chance to get things back in order which I'm sure even you would like to see?

I would be happy to see things less adversarial around here, but not at the expense of freedom of speech. It is important here as it is anywhere, the reply from the mods when I chucked the toys over their thread-killing activities was less than reassuring: "It's only a footy site for crying out loud" That's exactly how the free exchange of information is crushed.
The fault in this case clearly lies not with CD, but with those who jumped up and down like children demanding he be banned. It was a sentence! If you don't like it move on! If he was indeed "trolling" as you suggest, what is the single silliest response? I know you know the answer!!
As for Voltaire, I did have to look up the woman's name as I'd forgotten it, but it's very well known that the English quote is a paraphrase, Voltaire didn't write in English. I have read most of his work, although it's nearly impossible to find translations of some of it. I read 'Candide' in translation as well as the original French, because it's my favourite of his oeuvre, but although I speak French (and Italian and some German), I don't "think" in it so there's a kind of 'lag'. I prefer English. My passion for 18th & 19th century literature, both French and English, is almost as great as my passion for Collingwood. My real joy is the work of Balzac, whose brilliant 'Comedie Humane' is the ducks guts of French lit. The way the characters and storylines intertwine through the various books is quite amazing and highly recommended to anyone who likes a good story. That said, nothing beats the classics, Daicos and Didak.

Of course I could just have gotten all that from Wikipedia, I guess its hard to know these days!

None of this however has anything to do with Levi Greenwood.

He prefers Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky!

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

^^^^^ As long as Levi gets his hands on the oval shaped, leather bound writings of T.W Sherrin each weekend next year it will be more than enough for me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: