Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Gough Whitlam

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

The problem with the right, I think, is its world ignorance and the extent to which it filters out reality in favour of children's-story-level claims it is spoon fed by authority.

As usual you have that backwards

Quote:

Moreover, you do have the maths to understand why 30% of a $100M is somehow a lot more preferable than 70% of $100,000, right?

Nah, I'm just a dumb uneducated trog who spends his day telling people with degrees what to do. Can you google a link for it?

More like an angry young man, I'd say, still seeking dad's approval Wink

hahahaha the laughs keep coming!!

seriously, I just cant see Stui seeking any ones approval!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 pm

FWIW my dad and I reversed parent child roles at least 10 years before he died. The transition was harder for me than him.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 am

stui magpie wrote:
FWIW my dad and I reversed parent child roles at least 10 years before he died. The transition was harder for me than him.

Indeed. It takes one to know one is all.

I look up to you a lot more than you realise Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:18 am

stui magpie wrote:

Yes, really old age can be a total bastard, but perhaps our own is easier to bear than that of the strong, protective parents we - if we are lucky - remember.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 pm

The Age Odd Spot Nov 1st

"Students at the University of Pennsylvania will be able to study a course called ‘‘Wasting time on the internet’’ at degree level from next year."

So everyone here in VPT will have a degree - no further study required - awarded for " prior learning" Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Morrigu wrote:
The Age Odd Spot Nov 1st

"Students at the University of Pennsylvania will be able to study a course called ‘‘Wasting time on the internet’’ at degree level from next year."

So everyone here in VPT will have a degree - no further study required - awarded for " prior learning" Razz

Hahahahahahahahaha that's a classic!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
The Age Odd Spot Nov 1st

Hahahahahahahahaha that's a classic!

If they apply prior learning i'll go straight to a doctorate. Embarassed Razz

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Great memorial - Noël Pearson take a bow!

The chairman of the Cape York Group paid tribute to "this old man" Whitlam, praising his foresight and moral vision in striving for universal opportunity in Australia.

He even channelled Monty Python as he listed Whitlam's achievements, saying: "And what did the Romans ever do for us anyway?", to laughter and clapping from the audience.

He then answered his own question, reeling off a great list of Whitlam's achievements, including Medibank, the abolition of conscription, the introduction of student financial assistance and Aboriginal land rights.

Mr Pearson said as a person born into poverty and discrimination, he spoke of "this old man's legacy with no partisan brief".

"Only those born bereft truly know the power of opportunity," Mr Pearson said.

"We salute this old man for his great love and dedication to his country and to the Australian people.

"When he breathed he truly was Australia's greatest white elder and friend without peer to the original Australians."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/noel-pearsons-eulogy-for-gough-whitlam-praised-as-one-for-the-ages-20141105-11h7vm.html#ixzz3ICC0JGkQ

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:27 pm

^Great call and great to hear that perspective.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Farewell to the father of modern Australia
partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:09 pm

For anyone interested in Gough, My Story on SBS is worth watching when it is repeated. At the end he says "we just have to get along", a sentiment worth remembering in our days of fear loathing and dealing with bureaucrats.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:05 am

Morrigu wrote:
Great memorial - Noël Pearson take a bow!

The chairman of the Cape York Group paid tribute to "this old man" Whitlam, praising his foresight and moral vision in striving for universal opportunity in Australia.

He even channelled Monty Python as he listed Whitlam's achievements, saying: "And what did the Romans ever do for us anyway?", to laughter and clapping from the audience.

He then answered his own question, reeling off a great list of Whitlam's achievements, including Medibank, the abolition of conscription, the introduction of student financial assistance and Aboriginal land rights.

Mr Pearson said as a person born into poverty and discrimination, he spoke of "this old man's legacy with no partisan brief".

"Only those born bereft truly know the power of opportunity," Mr Pearson said.

"We salute this old man for his great love and dedication to his country and to the Australian people.

"When he breathed he truly was Australia's greatest white elder and friend without peer to the original Australians."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/noel-pearsons-eulogy-for-gough-whitlam-praised-as-one-for-the-ages-20141105-11h7vm.html#ixzz3ICC0JGkQ
Gough is still shaking his head that Pearson is a Liberal.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Surprised nobody mentioned the despicable behaviour of booing Liberal PMs past and present at the memorial. Not the time or the place for partisan politics.

I guess the people booing were the same type who were publically name calling Maggie Thatcher a day after she passed away.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Wokko wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned the despicable behaviour of booing Liberal PMs past and present at the memorial. Not the time or the place for partisan politics.

I guess the people booing were the same type who were publically name calling Maggie Thatcher a day after she passed away.
Let's throw in the Right Wingers dancing on his Grave and the venom they produced in their News/Radio/TV Articles were far worse than any booing the MP's who really didn't want to be there. Forget the spin about respect, they despised everything Whitlam stood for. Maybe they just wanted to make sure he was dead.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Culprit wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Forget the spin about respect, they despised everything Whitlam stood for. Maybe they just wanted to make sure he was dead.

Just because someone disagrees with someone else's point of view doesn't mean that they don't respect that individual at the same time. Abbott and Howard did not deserve such boos even if people don't like them as politicians.

I can't say I'm fond of all politicians like Sarah Hanson Young for example but I'd never boo her if she attended an important event like a funeral. The way people carried on when Thatcher died was nothing short of a disgrace and I seem to remember many here not being critical of the celebrations of her death last year in England. She may have had her set ways with her policies and maybe she was a dislikable person to many, but that in no way justifies the reason to celebrate or even act like an ignoramus in the middle of English streets when she passed away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: