Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fixing the Midfield for 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm
Post subject: Fixing the Midfield for 2015Reply with quote

Well last few years we have been known to have a Front Running Midfield that only run 1 way. That they run Forward but not the Other way.

We lost Dayne Beams in the Trade Period which badly hurts our Midfield but he was the Biggest Cooperate of Running 1 way.

So in his trade we got Crisp and Greenwood who are know to be 2 way Runners that can be a Defensive Mids as well going Forward in Midfield.

So we have bit of a Defensive side to our Midfield now and gives it a better balance Midfield

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Fixing the Midfield for 2015Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Well last few years we have been known to have a Front Running Midfield that only run 1 way. That they run Forward but not the Other way.

We lost Dayne Beams in the Trade Period which badly hurts our Midfield but he was the Biggest Cooperate of Running 1 way.

So in his trade we got Crisp and Greenwood who are know to be 2 way Runners that can be a Defensive Mids as well going Forward in Midfield.

So we have bit of a Defensive side to our Midfield now and gives it a better balance Midfield

Yes, Ablett, Selwood, Judd and fyffe are also considered one way mids. Its easy to be a one way mid, when you are the one with the ball all the time.....

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the loss of Beams does help the balance of our midfield. In terms of quality he is a loss, but as a type he wasn't ideal. If Greenwood can continue his 2014 form and we can draft well I think we come out ahead.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I think the loss of Beams does help the balance of our midfield. In terms of quality he is a loss, but as a type he wasn't ideal. If Greenwood can continue his 2014 form and we can draft well I think we come out ahead.

At the very least, we've minimized the loss.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 am

first we allowed people to tell us that swan's contribution wasnt that important. Now its Beams. rubbish. Beams was and still is very much an elite midfielder. you are kidding yourself if you are going to focus on the defensive side of his game. a strong mid who reads the game beautifully, is the most relaible kick for goal in the team ad is as tough as boots is not someone you can dismiss as "oh well, no loss there".

This is a massive loss for us. No other way to say it.

We definitiely have some talent coming in (which i am very pleased about), but a top 10 elite talent is pretty rare to find and i am not going to kid myself that because that he had some perceived defensive weakness.....

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 am

I like your optimism Dave but agree with E that we have lost a top midfielder who had a lot more positives than negatives.

We were in a tough position when Beams wanted out and chose a club - but securing Greenwood has eased the pain in the short term and pick 5 could be a real boom for the future - so to Crisp!

I am also hopeful, like Dave, that our Mids do have a defensive mindset and are not just one-way players. Need pressure on the mids or you end up like Swans in the GF watching the opposition waltzing around and picking off players up forward!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 am

E wrote:
first we allowed people to tell us that swan's contribution wasnt that important. Now its Beams. rubbish. Beams was and still is very much an elite midfielder. you are kidding yourself if you are going to focus on the defensive side of his game. a strong mid who reads the game beautifully, is the most relaible kick for goal in the team ad is as tough as boots is not someone you can dismiss as "oh well, no loss there".

We definitiely have some talent coming in (which i am very pleased about), but a top 10 elite talent is pretty rare to find and i am not going to kid myself that because that he had some perceived defensive weakness.....

Yes, during the home and away season. He under-performed in finals. 3 goals in 12 games - not good enough for a "goal-kicking mid".

Since I'm not much interested in seeing the team make the Grand Final only to have "stars" not touch the ball, I'm hoping the Club is recruiting players who will play to their potential when it really matters.

In the midfield, Swan is critical, so is Pendlebury, so is Sidebottom and so was Ball. I've never really joined in the hype about Beams. For most of his career, he's been the slow outside mid on the end of chain of possession who gets forced to kick long, down the line. Teams got wise to him and set up for the long kick to a contest. It might have been ok in a team with a rash of midfield speedsters - that wasn't us. He's one-paced like Pendlebury and Sidebottom and about half as good.

It was disappointing to lose him and will probably lead to a short-term drop in home and away performance - in the long run, I expect it to be a very good result.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am

E wrote:

Beams is clearly among the top 10 midfield talents in the league and about to enter what should be his prime. However to say he didn't have flaws is equally as naive as suggesting he won't be missed. We did seem to cope through the 2013 season when he wasn't available so he's not absolutely critical to our performance. Yes, he's a loss, but we can cover for him. That we've been able to minimise the damage of his departure via the recruitment of Greenwood has to be a good thing but it'll be years before we can actually assess how well we done.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 am

Greenwood was by far our most important acquisition but he is still no where near the quality of player we lost in Beams. He does however serve as a handy replacement for Macaffer while he is recovering from his ACL.

I think the main reason we recruited Varcoe was to offset the offensive damage Beams could do. Yes, Varcoe is a an outside player but with him you also get goals. Our offense needs a boost.

Pick #5 hopefully develops into Beams MkII in about 3-5 years.

On the back of 6 games, Crisp could be pushing for either Sinclair, Seedsman, Young or Thomas' spot. Competition for spots is good. It pushes the group to improve. Time will tell if the steak knives in the Beams deal will deliver too. One can hope.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:25 pm

E wrote:

Agree 100%. Beams is a huge loss. He was never one of Inky's favourites so I'm not surprised he feels the way he does. That's his opinion & that's fine. Jackass is right as well, our trading in og Greenwood was more about limiting the damage of losing Beams. Lets hope his 2014 form continues because we bloody need it to. Swan & Adams being fit is also vital to keeping our midfield strong.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Assuming Swanny returns fit and over his debilitating injuries, the arrival of the hardnut Greenwood, plus the improvement in Adams and the emergence of Freeman should lead to a much better midfield than we had this year.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Assuming Swanny returns fit and over his debilitating injuries, the arrival of the hardnut Greenwood, plus the improvement in Adams and the emergence of Freeman should lead to a much better midfield than we had this year.

I agree, overall I think there should be an improvement to the midfield rotations group an the back of a healthy Swanny, addition of Greenwood, and development of the kids. Beams is the most significant loss and the absense of Ball and H can't be overlooked but the overall group of 10 or so who go through the midfield should be stronger. Development/emergence of the kids is the unknown.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

That's my feeling too. I had a quick look through the games that some of our midfielders played and they were all around the 12 games mark give or take ie Fasolo, Dwyer, Blair, Adams, Thomas, Williams, Seedsman and even Swan and Elliott missed half a dozen games last season.
So there is heaps of room for improvement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: